AMD Catalyst 15.6 Beta Driver for Windows OS out now

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by LtMatt81, Jun 22, 2015.

1. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Some games do have good multi-GPU support (DX11)...
    Games will still need to support it even with DX12.

2. Abaddon

Abaddon Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon 6600
    tried to install but ecountered the message: "amd catalyst cannot be started there are currently no settings" when trying to acces the control manager.
    rolled back to 15.5 and everything is working fine, used display driver unnistaller before unnistalling, did anyone else received this error?

3. MojoW

MojoW Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit 3070 JS OC
    And again still no elite dangerous!
    Really i thought it was gonna change AMDMatt?
    When you said monthly driver releases i was thinking something else then the 14.12 driver with caps!
    Your upcoming AMD LiquidVR is not gonna work out when you don't even support the one real VR game out there!

4. owlie

owlie Guest

GPU:
    HD 7970
    I'm so sick of your ****, AMD. I bought this 295x2 a couple of months ago, couldn't wait to play GTA V, Witcher 3, Batman, Dying Light, etc on it! Coming from a 7970 I had since 2012, I thought, hey, I had crossfire cards about 6+ years ago, CAPs worked fairly well/came out often back then and thought support could have only gotten better, right? My 7970 had served me pretty well for 3 years, too, so AMD seemed logical.

WRONG. Not a single game I've wanted to play at release has worked with the GPU(s) I bought out of the box. All have had ****ty frametimes with massive stuttering, flickering (witcher 3 & dying light, still yet to be fixed), or just games that flat out don't work like Batman. Witcher 3 still doesn't have a profile. Only one which works now is GTA V, after installing Windows 8.1 and using the modded June 8 drivers from asder. Barely an improvement elsewhere.

False advertising? Definitely. Where is the lawsuit against AMD for false advertising of their flagship products which DO NOT work properly? Nvidia was hit with a class action suit for a much more minor issue. As someone who has used AMD GPUs since I built my first PC, I'm done with AMD. Great hardware, but absolutely no good software support.

I also planned on buying an MG279Q to use, was looking forward to freesync. I patiently waited until it was released, hoping that maybe AMD would release freesync crossfire drivers around the time it was released, considering it was pretty highly anticipated. Nope! Nothing. I'm calling AMD/XFX on the 24th, unless AMD is willing to exchange my 295x2 for a Fury X I'm selling this thing and switching over to Nvidia, who seems to actually support the games I want to play when they come out. Because I can only afford maybe one upgrade every few years, and I've been absolutely shafted by AMD out of my $650 and will be stuck with zero support until I can afford to get away from AMD. Good job ruining my favorite hobby. Twats.

Before buying the 295x2, I couldn't fathom why AMD was losing market share so rapidly. Now I see why.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015

5. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Crossfire was said to be on the poor side even when we had CAPs and it was some what true. Now I'll go out of my way to talk people out of it.

6. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    my guess is this is why dream got infracted, i expect owlie to get one as well.

offtopic bitching.

7. owlie

owlie Guest

GPU:
    HD 7970
    With the CAPs at least support came fairly quickly. I remember there was often a new driver/profile set for new releases. Maybe not as stable, but we had support. Now, it's nonexistant. Fairly sad, I really want to have faith in AMD but I'm quickly losing it, I'm not a fan of any company, just want to enjoy my PC!

Where do I go to have a voice, then? It seems nobody at AMD cares that people with crossfire are left in the dust - even though they heavily promote things like the 295x2, they don't support it. Not only is that a bad business practice, but is it legal? I legitimately wonder about that at times when Nvidia gets a lawsuit about the memory thing, but I guess the memory issue is much easier to pursue legally

8. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    Id go to the official amd forums.

more likely to be heard there.

9. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    People here are less biased but yeah neither place will solve anything.

10. owlie

owlie Guest

GPU:
    HD 7970
    Yeah - I don't want to be talking to an echo chamber, or people who blindly support something. I'd like a discussion with AMD about why this is something they can't commit to supporting, some explanation behind the frustration many people feel, at least. Is it money? I mean, it probably is. Is it Nvidia locking up all the devs (money again)? I feel that's something we, as paying customers, deserve... won't get it, though.

Just frustrated, at the end of the rope troubleshooting this GPU. Even more frustrating to know how well this hardware can perform. Look at GTA V on Win 8.1 with the June 8 drivers. Perfect, buttery smooth gameplay experience with a frametime equal to or better than a single gpu. Vsync'd 60FPS @1440p with 16.6ms frametimes with very, very slight variance. Over 100fps no vsync. Incredible power, but it's the only game I've gotten to work properly and it took a huge amount of work on my part. Not something I want to deal with to play a videogame :/.

What is a solution to the problem then, or will we ever get one? I guess the AMD official fix is.. disable crosssfire :wanker:!!

11. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    This is one of the best jokes i read lately! :D

Coming back to the thread subject:

CFX is not working and AMD is not fixing it anytime soon.

At least this time AMD released drivers without including a joke CFX profile and "suggesting" to disable it in the changelog notes.

Thanks AMD to be straight this time and tell us the truth. :)

12. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    It was straight to the point. I expected crossfire support as it's a game ready driver which we didn't get for the last 2 GameWorks titles. I guess the optimizations are better than nothing.

13. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

There's other forum catagories for more generalized discussion, but whether or not AMD actually reads them, I don't know. But generally speaking, when I come to a driver thread, I want to read about the driver, not general complaints.

Also, there's more usage for Crossfire than just gaming.

I'm also curious as to why AMD is to blame for poor Crossfire. AMD provides the cards, and provides the driver that supports Crossfire, and to an extent, help make software support it. The main responsibility for Crossfire support however falls on the people developing the game and/or engine.

Say I sell you a cup. If another person intentionally sells you a drink that tastes horrible in my cup, should I be to blame? Do you expect me to "fix" my cup to make your drink taste better?

14. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    If your cup analogy is accurate. Why does AMD post this.

1 day before release?

15. MojoW

MojoW Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit 3070 JS OC
    If your competitor has a cup that makes that same drink taste better then in your cup, then yes you do or else you go under.

16. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Guest

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    in my experience so far with Crossfire, its the broken, semi-inept half brother we all have, its there, some choose to ignore it, some choose to embrace it, either way, it still limps along at best cause it can do no more, no less. Although i knew that going in to the world of Crossfire, that it was far from perfect and never will be. SLI/Xfire, both broken on average, at least 50% of the time. I dont know why some ppl think that going from red-green or green-red is going to make a difference, both avenues are far from perfect and even less than usable in some aspects. In my opinion, crossfire SEEMS to be an afterthought to driver teams, unfortunately. I doubt this will change anytime in the future, no matter how much money you spend on your Xfire config, there will always be issues. As an HDMI user, to see the same port on the nextgen cards was a tad disappointing as well. Oh well.

17. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I prefer this to the broken CFX profiles who need to be disabled to play a game.

I only like the jokes when we can all laugh...

If all major AAA titles are and more important will be Nvidia backed games (Gameworks), i don't see the point to buy an AMD GPU again in the future specially for CFX use due to his inability to develop drivers (software) for his GPU (hardware).

Worst Nvidia GPUs (on paper) performs better than AMD because their drivers (software) is able to use their hardware in a more efficient way.

If this ability is related to dirty tricks (Gameworks) and/or better driver development team is obviously not a thing customers must take care.

18. owlie

owlie Guest

GPU:
    HD 7970
    How do any of us know where the main responsibility lies to make crossfire work well in any given game? I'd like to believe it's 50/50 and that AMD and the dev make an equal effort, but that's obviously not always the case. Different drivers have huge impacts on performance and frametimes as well, e.g. my GTA V case. Moreso than any game update had. Dying Light patches fixed crossfire to a certain degree, I imagine as much as they could (they made it playable), but AMD still hasn't attempted to fix many issues in the game, for example. Why?

As for your cup analogy.. yes, you would be to blame and you should fix the drink/cup (software/hardware) if I can go to the other cup maker across the street where all the drinks taste just fine... or, your business would tank. Like AMD's GPU marketshare.

Regardless of manufacturer though, I'm done with multi gpu until DX12 proves it to be viable in every AAA title not using an engine like id tech 5.

19. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

If that follows the general Gameworks ordeal, then wouldn't WB be prohibited from working with AMD before the game launch?

I'm not sure what that statement implies exactly. Maybe WB didn't bother contacting AMD for anything related to Crossfire. Maybe AMD couldn't optimize the game in-time for Crossfire at launch (with what limited ability they can because of Gameworks).

I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes, but I like to assume AMD isn't intentionally trying to ruining their own rep. On the other hand, there's only so much you can do when others are trying to ruin your rep.

Say my cup works just fine with unbiased drinks, but then this new drink comes out (from a drink company tightly involved with a competitor cup company who's well known to be heavily biased against my company) that tastes like garbage in my cup.

If you totally disregard the above, then yeah, it seems like my cup would suck. But if you know the above information, then you would also know that your blame is misplaced if you blame my cup.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2015
  20. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Crossfire is related to drivers directly so a driver thread is the right place to discuss in a none hostile way of course.
    I think both AMD and game developer should take responsibility equally, not one over the other. If a game doesn't function at all with multi-GPU's (SLI/CFX) then you can only blame one :)