980 Ti Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by AvengerUK, Jun 1, 2015.

1. scaramonga

scaramonga Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 W/C
    Anyone doing any G1 blocks yet?

2. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    Yeah, suprised me too. AMD have no drivers either, but win 8 drivers work fine so not had a problem with my 290x. I guess this is a brand new cards too though!

3. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    It doesn't work like that. Just because 95C is the hard limit, it doesn't mean 94.9C is fine.

Having said that, they're your cards, do as you wish!

4. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    AMD does have drivers, what are you saying?

AMD currently have win10 drivers, right now what is worrying is that if I would get nvidia I hope they're on the good part with win10 drivers, once it hits out.

5. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Chances are that when Win 10 comes out there will be all kinds of issues for the first few months, as with any OS release, so probably just worth waiting anyways.

6. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    And you claim that it doesn't it work like that based upon?

I have never seen issues with the last generation of GPU's hitting up to 85C.

Thing is, we only want it cooler because we can or because we want less noise, it's not really needed though, since the GPU get's replaced by a new one long time before it even starts to get worn out.

I have a PC that is used on daily basis with a reference design cooled 9800 GTX, that thing was used in SLI running up to 85C, it still runs as when it was new.

7. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    My point is that it is a sliding scale. OK you run at 85C. Would you run at 94.9C? Well it's completely up to you.

I suppose it is most relevant when overclocking and increasing voltages. This is when increased temperatures not only limit your overclock but also lead to faster chip degredation.

Also, remember that if your GPU is running at 90C, the VRM and other components of the power system are also running hot. There are examples of certain cards (eg 570, 590) that had issues in that area.

8. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Saw that, £499 was a great deal on that card.
    Back up to £549 now sadly.

Royal Mail have Royally shafted me with my eVGA step up.

Posted my 980 back to eVGA Germany on Friday, International track and signed postage.
    Tracked it today......its being "returned to sender" and will be back with me today or tommorrow.

Seems the postman who collected/scanned at the sorting office couldnt work out what "From" (Insert my address) and "Ship To" (eVGA Germany address) meant on the postage label - so they didnt know where it was going.

That fact that "Ship to" was highlighted in pink marker pen, and an International tracking label was attached it might have given the fool a clue it was being sent to eVGA Germany and that I was not posting it to myself from the Post Office half a mile down the road from my house......but sadly it was too hard for him to work out.

Soooooo... i'll have to resend it once I get it back.

Eventually i'll get my hands on this 980ti, probably be a couple weeks at least now :(

9. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    No, I would of course not run my card close to it's temperature limit, even if NVidia did set the limit lower than what the GPU can take.

My 980Ti hits max 83C when it spikes, which isn't bad, I'm going for Corsairs hybrid solution when it become available though, since that gives me less noise and some room for overclocking.

Your right that it is relevant when you start overclocking.
    My point was, if your running with stock clocks and voltages on a reference design, there shouldn't be any issue with the cards temperature as long as the PC containing it has a descent airflow.

To my knowledge, when we look away from the 470 and 480, the cards that had issues where none reference designs like the STRIX.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  10. AvengerUK

AvengerUK Guest

GPU:
    Titan X (Pascal) EK-WB
    Now that I've got my cards under "water", I will try overclocking tonight :)

I've never actually overclocked much GPU wise, especially not with maxwell, so I'll see how it goes :p

Afterburner + power target, increment GPU clock + mem clock (mem only to a point) I'm guessing and log the boost?

11. AvengerUK

AvengerUK Guest

GPU:
    Titan X (Pascal) EK-WB

You should possibly consider the EVGA Hybrid solution too, seems like a much easier, safer install? (and poss cheaper).

My temps with it max of Furmark of 42

12. DreamTheatrics

DreamTheatrics Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC
    So I'm selling my two 7950s and buying an EVGA 980 Ti mainly to play the Witcher 3 on my 1440p without a ton of flickering and stuttering. Of course it isn't the only game I want to play though. This is my first Nvidia card ever. Anything I should know? I'm very excited!

13. AvengerUK

AvengerUK Guest

GPU:
    Titan X (Pascal) EK-WB
    Grats!

Yes, unfortunately you'll need to buy a cooker to fry your egg's on now ;)

(Jokes aside, only thing I can think of is if your keeping the same OS install is to run a driver sweeper (DDU from guru3d ofc) before putting the nvidia drivers on)

14. DreamTheatrics

DreamTheatrics Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC
    Haha thanks! I'm actually going to have it under water in a couple weeks so then I'll be able to use it as a freezer

15. AvengerUK

AvengerUK Guest

GPU:
    Titan X (Pascal) EK-WB
    Initial results -

MSI Afterburner - Power Limit % 110

Temp 80

Core +250
    Mem +500

Stable -

3DMark Fire Strike:
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/7458926?

GPU Boost Clock: 1472.1
    Memory Clock: 2000.7
    Max VDDC (Auto): 1.1990
    Power ~ 105-106%

Temperature (Max in 3DMark and Furmark): Max of 37.0 in 3Dmark, Max of 42 in Furmark.

I can push it to +275, but left at 250 atm.

I have no idea if this is decent or not, or whether to push further lol

16. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Well at least it didn't get lost or stolen which tends to happen all the time with USPS.

17. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
  18. Megabiv

Megabiv Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    According to EK's CoolingConfigurator page it's using a ref board with custom cooler. I can't be 100% it's the same one but i looked at three types of SC2.0's and they all state the boards are ref

EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti ACX 2.0+ 6GB GDDR5 (06G-P4-4991)

EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ 6GB GDDR5 (06G-P4-4995)
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Superclocked ACX 2.0+ 6GB GDDR5 (06G-P4-4993)

19. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    According to EK they are nvidia reference boards.

Edit: Mega beat me to it.

20. Megabiv

Megabiv Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    It's such a useful website but pretty much a must have if anyone looks at GPU blocks.