R9 300 Series Reviews/Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by jaju123, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yeah I know, you're right.. but they should also know that it's 4GB of HBM... ffs.. :D

You know 4GB of HBM is like 6GB or something of GDDR5 lol. :D

2. oGow89

oGow89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    Well those first consumer who look at how huge the vram is are usually the least qualified to buy a high end card. And i hate it when people ask why their game is not running well even if they have 4gb card. I mean i got asked by people thinking that their intel graphics solution with a shared memory as big as HDD should be running everything well.

I don't mind that coming from someone who is in their 40s or comes from a poor country, but from an american/european college kid i think it's fair to label them as stupid. Interested or not in today's tech, you should at least know how the damn thing in your hand runs. Your damn suburb boy father knew how a damn car runs and he might not ever been to school.

3. AMDJoe

AMDJoe AMD rep

GPU:
    AMD
    I want to frame this and put it on my wall.

4. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    Not really.... It is vastly faster, but it IS still 4GB. In a memory limited situation, regardless of how fast the VRAM is, you still can't load all the data into it. In these situations, more, but "slower" GDDR5 will increase performance consistency and most likely overall performance as well. This is because, similar to RAM and your HDD/SSD pagefile, regardless of how fast RAM is, it still has to be loaded from the slower parts, and if it gets overfilled (and need to swap), you'll be in for a bad time.

The sad fact remains that some intensive games will still not be able to be played at 4K with max details and moderate AA on this generation of cards while maintaining 60FPS+ regardless of VRAM capacity.

5. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    What is it with AMD? Why are their cards always behind Nvidia? Is it they don't have smart enough engineers,management. Also,they know they have driver problems,why don't they take care of it? I mean WTF? I have never bought AMD and never will,unless they step it up.

6. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    People that go for the more expensive video cards tend to know what they are looking for.
    Those that don't have a clue wont get a fury anyways.
    It will be them indeed, that look at 4GB or 8GB.

I know I would prefer the 4GB HBM cards, with present knowledge...

7. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Yes! This needs framing and reposting!

8. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    I am in my 40s (47), have rebuilt several cars, including full engine replacements as well as head , carb, tranny rebuilds. (mind you this was on classic muscle cars, not this computerized junk they have now)

I also have been to school. (BSEE, and MBA)

And i know my tech.

I am however not someones father (that i am aware of)

lol

9. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    Well, they aren't in a great financial position. Reportedly, their R&D budgets have also been slashed. So things are't as great over there right now.

10. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    There is a tech cycle. Their cards were the top dogs until the 970/980 came. Now it is their turn. They probably have the best GPU designer around (Raja Koduri). Their single GPU driver is solid, but it can still take efficiency improvements, I believe they simply need better developer relations.

Don't forget that they are basically the creators of the two new modern APIs, and that its their hardware that powers the current generation of all consoles.

11. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    This is quite inaccurate. They had a bad Q1 215, but their 2014 was profitable and just fine.

12. Kashinoda

Kashinoda Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 Fury
    I don't remember AMD cards being behind before the 970/980.

As soon as the 970/980 was released everyone went nuts and forgot how this **** works.

It's been a game of leapfrog for as long as I can remember (which probably goes back to the ATI 9800 Pro days)

13. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    Being profitable doesn't mean they still aren't cutting R&D or suffering decreases in market share across almost all industries. All of it still points to it being in a tight financial situation where it can't spend as much as Intel or Nvidia. In the long run this will severely hamper AMD's ability to innovate as the products we see today are often thought up, developed, and built over a period of years.

Drivers definitely need some working on, the pace of updates has slowed to a trickle in terms of features and game fixes, optimization. It is worse when fixes/patches by the community (such as the DX9 Cryengine bug a year ago, adding custom monitor timings, and VSR) sometimes end up being essential to reach feature parity with Nvidia. Not to mention that Raptr is....

However, their GPU hardware is absolutely top notch. At least with GCN, the architecture seemed to be very future-looking, especially with the decent VCE (hampered by software though) and general compute performance compared to Kepler.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  14. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Even older than that. There was the 3dfx Voodoo, the Riva 128, the ATi Rage, PowerVR, the Matrox G200. It has ALWAYS been like that. And there have always been fabois on all sides. Hell, I even remember the Glaze3D vaporware.

Unless their research funding drops under 100m, it really tells me nothing. AMD is spending for research now the same amount that NVIDIA was spending in 2012, when Maxwell and today's Tegra were being designed. NVIDIA is also in markets such as mobile phones, where they recently had made (failed) aquisitions.
    If R&D budgets was all that mattered, then the best GPUs would be Intel, for more than thirty years now, so there is something else to all this.

15. Kashinoda

Kashinoda Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 Fury
    The Voodoo retail boxes were awesome :)

I don't get fanboism when it comes to computer parts, you pay for performance per £/$ and that's it. Though there are some feature sets that come into play (Shadowplay, Mantle etc.) I've gone back and forth for years, I'll be upgrading for Battlefront so I'll probably skip nVidia if the Fury works out well.

I'll admit to having an AMD soft spot though, I remember the early 2000s and how overpriced Intel CPUs were. That made me favour them for a bit too long in all honesty.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015

16. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The Pentium 4 was such a joke. Even the Pentium III @1GHz was beating the 1.5GHz P4. Back then all the fanbois were saying how the P4 was the design of the future. It was the Core 2 that restored Intel to my eyes, and Nahelem that really destroyed any competition on the performance level.
    As for GPU's, I have literaly used everything except a PowerVR card. They have been some great cards, and some really ****ty ones from all camps. The GeForce 256 closed down 3dfx, the ATI 9700 was an epic card, the NVIDIA 6800 was an epic card, the 8800GT was amazing, the 6970 too.

17. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    Talent obviously matters, but R&D is always crucial (mainly because a company that isn't spending that much in R&D most likely can't pay for additional/better talent).
    Nvidia isn't working on extremely large projects other than its GPUs. Tegra while also a somewhat large deal for Nvidia, uses mostly off the shelf ARM cores mixed with custom GPUs, a far cry from a fully custom X86 core in complexity. The rest of Nvidia is mostly software based as it's core innovations are almost entirely centered around its GPUs.
    Intel on the other hand dips into a much larger number of markets including fabrication, flash, networking, and more. Meaning not all of it is concentrated on CPUs and GPUs alone. Based on fab costs, I'm guessing a good portion of that R&D is dedicated to advancing the process node.
    AMD though, has spun off the fab, basically dropped out the SoC market, and has been losing market shares in desktop, mobile, and server markets lately. It would take some serious engineering marvel to truly allow them to develop a competitive product against companies that have higher budgets.

18. Kashinoda

Kashinoda Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 Fury
    I remember AMD had to use a naming convention that didn't match their clock speeds to demonstrate how their chips related to Pentiums, that confused the market but had to be done because everyone believed clock speeds were the be all and end all.

19. Kashinoda

Kashinoda Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 Fury
    Back on topic, taken from OCuk forums:

20. oGow89

oGow89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    Alright so I got me a cut down version of the R9 390 :p Look at my profile for details :D