Display driver AMD has stopped responding and has recovered

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by classick, Jun 18, 2015.

1. classick

classick Guest

GPU:
    r9 280x
    Hello guys, iam having this problem..Is my Gpu dieing?

The gpu is unstable with stock clocks..i got this pc like 2 years and never had problems with it.

What i already did
    - Clean install with DriverCleaner
    - Tested Beta and the Omega drivers
    - Run Ccleaner
    - Low the coreclock
    - Inscrease Voltage
    - Go to regedit and add the Tdrdelay 8

My system
    - Win 8.1 x64
    - R9 280x Gaming
    - i5 2500k
    - 8GB Ram Gskill
    - P8P67 PRO REV 3.0
    - XFX PRO650W

This occurs with the programm FurMark and the Witcher
    Temps on the FurMark is 72Cº

Any solutions? :S

2. Cryio

Cryio Master Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900 XTX
    1) Check if Windows is up to date. Latest updates are from yesterday
    2) Reinstall 15.5 beta drivers.
    3) Reinstall DirectX
    4) Run CCleaner

These should help you out.

And anyway, what exactly do you mean by unstable? What problems do you face exactly?

3. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Have you ever cleaned your computer? If not, then there is a layer of dust everywhere, and that might be the reason for your crashes.

4. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    I had this with Battlefield 3 and crysis 3, with any small overclock on the gpu.
    At default it would run those games endlessly.

Maybe directX is the cullpritt? Maybe the card dying, ram heatsinks not sufficient anymore, cooling device cloughed with dust.
    Check your bios if BCLK is still at 100Mhz.

5. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    I had this with Battlefield 3 and crysis 3, with any small overclock on the gpu.
    At default it would run those games endlessly.

Maybe directX is the cullpritt? Maybe the card dying, ram heatsinks not sufficient anymore, cooling device cloughed with dust.
    Check your bios if BCLK is still at 100Mhz.

6. classick

classick Guest

GPU:
    r9 280x
    Ty for answers, the pc is clean with minimum dust..

I already reinstalled all the drivers and windows is updated.
    Reinstalled directx aswell.

I test the memory and no errors..and i did the test stick by stick.

- Did Intel burn test no errors
    - Memtest no errors
    - Only the gpu stress test fails with Gpu stock clocks.

7. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    if you are still under warranty, get an RMA. If you cannot, can you please tell what kind of voltages you have increased and by how much and it is still crashing?

8. classick

classick Guest

GPU:
    r9 280x
    Was at 1250 core voltage..ya it still crash no matter the voltage or other clocks .. :S

No more warranty...i just wanna know if its Gpu hardware problem..or maybe Psu dunno...so i can replace it.

9. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Any chance you might try with a different PSU, from a friend etc? If everything is at default clocks even a good 500W PSU is enough for a test.

10. classick

classick Guest

GPU:
    r9 280x
    Hm nop :X...So Psu can be the problem? Its like the graphic card when reach like 72/75 it gives the error or it loses screen signal

11. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    You might be able to get by after raising the gpu voltage with afterburner or by modifying the voltage with vbe and re flashing it to run that way in the bios. No warranty left so really nothing to loose at this point. My experience with Tahiti cards leaves me to believe they act a lot like overclocked cpus when the voltage is not high enough to remain stable with a certain gpu clock speed.

If you would like to try either of these methods let me know and i can provide additional information on how to do this. Me brand new replacement gpu from xfx was unstable when i got it but i flashed the black edition bios which so happens to run higher voltage and never had a crash since. obviously the lower voltage the better but when it needs more it needs more just like cpus.

Is exact make card do you have btw? didn't see a brand listed

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  12. davido6

davido6 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Rx5700xt
    what make is your power and what watt is it ?

13. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    It is either your GPU or the PSU. When the GPU works more, the more it stresses the power supply.

You can also try flashing a bios with a bit more voltage, instead of doing it with software. Your card has a bios switch, so it should be safe. You could post your bios here.

14. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    We have the exact same idea on this.....and i bet were correct. Regarding the bios switch...always makes me nervousness xfx didn't include one...but at least having a backup card keeps me from having to do a totally blind flash (thankfully i never had to do that:))

15. classick

classick Guest

GPU:
    r9 280x
    Hello, ty for the help my gpu is

MSI Radeon R9 280x Gaming

The Bios? Is this? 015.039.000.001.003331 ( 113-C3865000-G77 )

16. afaque

afaque Member Guru

GPU:
    x1300/g210/hd5750/r9280x
    ok here is what i did with my gpu..
    six months back my gpu started doing this, crashing while gaming randomely, ive got gb r9 280x wf3 rev 2 it crashed alot, after going through all the websites and finding no solutions i tried my own tricks, i altered voltage and all, but i could only get away with a decrease of 100 clock in memory clock from 1500 to 1400 and now the gpu doesnt crash anymore, maybe after sometime these gpus cant go with the overclock cause u know that r9 280x is already an overclocked 7970,

and what u can try is u can first of all try increasing power limit and if u can alter the memory voltage increase it a bit, very little by little, like 0.01 volts on each try, it will take u time to figure out what caused your gpu the issue, so try to increase voltage a bit and check keep an eye on temps too, dont fry the gpu ok?

17. classick

classick Guest

GPU:
    r9 280x
    As i said i already increased the voltage and descrease other clocks..same issue xD

Temps are not that high...it crashes between 72-76Cº Full load

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  18. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    You can use GPU-Z to extract the bios and send it to me.

19. classick

classick Guest

GPU:
    r9 280x
  20. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    What I did with your bios was to raise the 3D voltage from 1.144V to 1.200V, and the boost voltage from 1.200V to 1.256V. In accordance to that I made your fan profile a bit more aggressive, so that the card can cope with the increased temperatures better.

I know it is probably redundant, but I have to say this now. If by following this procedure something goes wrong, or you have hardware damage, it is not my fault. Knowing that, please continue.

NOTICE: Before you flash your video card bios, make sure that your card has a bios switch, so that if the flashing procedure goes bad, you can use the other bios on your card to repair the primary bios. DO NOT proceed if your card doesn't have a switch.

The switch should look like this (the actual position of the switch might be different than in the picture, we only care that the switch EXISTS):

[​IMG]

Now that we have this out of the way, we can continue.

1) Download ATI Winflash and extract it into a folder. Download the modified bios.

2) Extract the Tahiti-extraV.rom file from the MSI Radeon R9 280x Gaming-Extra-Voltage.rar archive, into the folder where ATI Winflash is, so that the atiwinflash.exe is in the same folder as th Tahiti-extraV.rom. Make sure that the Tahiti.rom you sent me is also in that folder.

3) Open a Command Prompt as Administrator in that folder. In Windows 8.1 you can do that by pressing File --> Open Command Prompt as Administrator.

4) If you have a single discrete GPU in your system and only then, give the following command:
    Code:
    ATIWinflash.exe -f -p 0 Tahiti-extraV.rom
    and press Enter. The card should flash, and an OK button should appear.

5) Restart and test.

IF SOMETHING GOES WRONG:

1) Turn off your system.

2) Put the bios switch on the card on the other position.

3) Boot into Windows and open a Command Prompt as an Administrator in the folder where you have Atiwinflash.exe

4) Put the bios switch on the original position.

5) If you have a single discrete GPU in your system and only then, give the following command:
    Code:
    ATIWinflash.exe -f -p 0 Tahiti.rom
    6) Restart and you are back to your original bios like nothing happened.

Good luck!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015