AMD Releases Radeon R9 Fury X details + exclusive photos

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 18, 2015.

1. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    i do not see how this woulkd fit in my case with my huge phantek heatsink hmmmmm issues

2. orky87

orky87 Guest

GPU:
    R9_Nano
    Love what AMD is doing this time round. Everything about the product looks right and about HDMI whether it being 2.0 or below is a gimmick compared to a real IO like display port. This thing designed to drive proper setups like multi-monitors let PS4/XBONE worry about HDMI tech. As far as wattage goes it's not bad, MPG doesn't really apply here as it's all about price:performance for those who are not too distant from reality. Can't wait for benches and analysis.

3. Enticles

Enticles Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070ti
    the Fury X looks like it's going to do well, powerful and priced to compete. I'll wait for a review with benchmarks before getting truly excited but if the leaked slides are anywhere near accurate then this card is promising to be around a titan X's performance for around half the price. at that point the price wars would begin, and we as consumers will all win regardless of which of the 2 camps we pitch our tent in :)

it seems a little silly that they didnt include HDMI 2.0 though, especially for those people who own 4K TV's and are considering one of these in their living room PC.

whilst DisplayPort is a superior input, i dont know if ignoring the people using HDMI is necessarily a good thing... i imagine that this will cost them a few sales at least.

4. Kaerar

Kaerar Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    Nice to see a discussion that hasn't descended into Red vs Green handbag wars.

TBH with all the negatives over the last 2 months I'm glad to see it outperform those and look to stand up well performance wise. Gotta keep in mind this tech was designed for a smaller process and scaled up to 28nm to bridge the gap of the failed 20nm process.

It'll get interesting next year with Pascal vs Fury mk2 at 16 and 14nm respectively with the 8GB HBM modules being used then too.

5. wsgroves

wsgroves Guest

Card looks very nice but I cant get over ati's drivers. I know that will bug a few people but if you follow their drivers, you would know they have been severely lacking. Unless that changes with this card and windows 10...that is too much to overcome.
    You may own a Lambo...but put regular gas in it and see how it runs =/
    That is what I attest ati drivers to.
    I also can not believe it has no hdmi2. I would of seriously considered one of the new fury boxes for my new 70"4k tv but im not going to get some damn converter.

6. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    Im amazed they kept the power draw around 290x levels and only about 25w more then the titan/980ti. If I upgrade my monitors this will be the card for me im not much a fan of NVidia.

7. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
  8. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Wait wait.. AMDs stock have gone up? :D

9. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    yeah very much so

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It's up 2% on $2.50. It was much higher 3 months ago. It's like a non-story.

11. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Can you post this graph again in two weeks.

12. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    tss tss tsss... As always with some custom waterblock linked to bigger pump and rad :) or like me, on a low temp liquid cooler unit.

13. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black

AMD have actually done very well with Win10 drivers, and those get ported over to win 8.1.
    But I do have to agree that they have been lacking the last 6 months. Before Omega, they were doing really well. I had HD 7950 crossfire and it worked flawless in 99% of the games I played.
    Then I got a R9 290. I had zero issues till I got my new monitor.
    I would have constant driver crashing issues even with a fresh os install of Win 8.1
    I gave in and ordered 2 GTX 670 4gb, here is the effin kicker, a week later a new amd driver drops, and bam issue was gone. Already had spent the $275.
    I have used AMD/ATI a ton in the last 5 years and only recently did I truly end up having a driver problem with them.
    IMHO the drivers arent as bad as alot of people complain about, its that they take longer to get game support or fix things.
    They biggest thing nvidia has over them is the way DSR works vs VSR, and shadowplay. Raptor is garbage.

I dont count Watch Dogs because that was a disaster of a game launch period and even ran like ass on my gtx 650ti at the time in my spare rig.

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Nvidia's stock is trading at 21.91 a share. AMD's is at 2.53. In the meantime Intel makes record profits every quarter and their stock never budges.

15. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    [​IMG]
    This was my 7950 crossfire setup with custom AIO cooling.
    All stuff in a Corsair Carbide 200r with no modifications at all to the case.
    Even an H100 on the top.

16. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    Unfortunately this won't work for almost all cases with a semi-large window (= no side fans) on the side. I think some cases will be fine if it is mounted on the bottom, but then that might get fed into the PSU... Perhaps in this case reversing the airflow in the case might be a better choice. The 2X (Fury X rads) out on the front panel with the top/back being intakes. Though if one also uses an AIO for the CPU it'll be interesting.

17. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    They need to have Project Quantum differentiated with HDMI 2.0 or what is the incentive to buy one if the DIY community can duplicate it. Another point of view, what is the point of including HDMI 2.0 if they cannot get it fully working? What the whining amounts to is damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Other point that has been missed. The overclocking of the ram through Overdrive is being locked down. AMD is only allowing the core clock to receive the oc'ing ability this go around. Enthusiasts only read one article? Ouch.

18. orky87

orky87 Guest

GPU:
    R9_Nano
    I believe the core even if OC'd will be the bottleneck to all that available bandwidth no? Hard to tell atm but it may very well be.

19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah, there is literally zero reason why you'd want to overclock with that much bandwidth. Functionally it will do nothing other then increase power.

20. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080
    Lol. As expected whenever a company like AMD launches new products. It'll go back to where it's normally.