Chris Evans is the new lead presenter of Top Gear

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Ghosty, Jun 16, 2015.

1. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I suspect this will be terrible. The main attraction of the show was the banter between the 3 of them and what they got up to.

The format was getting tiresome though, with the same predictable jokes and features so I suppose it was due an overhaul anyway.

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Sabine Schmitz would be good

More likely to be an English host though, maybe they'll steal Fifth Gears Vicki Butler-Henderson

Or Jodie Kidd from the upside down car race lol

EDIT - Just read this:

Top Gear's Chris Evans confirms he WILL have a female co-host - and Jodie Kidd is the bookies' favourite
    http://tv.bt.com/tv/tv-news/top-gea...-kidd-is-the-bookies-favourite-11363987247640

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  3. b101uk

b101uk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1070
  4. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    True, but it was nearly un-watchable prior to these hosts.

We already have Top Gear US and others and none of them are particularly good. I suspect this new UK Top Gear will be lacking as well. What made the show so great before was the 3 hosts, not the cars.

As tired as the format may have been, I imagine we will miss it dearly once we see the new show.

5. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    I'll watch the new top gear regardless, and I'll also watch the real top gear with a different name on whatever channel it's on :thumbup:

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Who knows, maybe this was partially planned (Clarkson getting 'fired'). In any case, I don't believe Chris Evans is the right choice. Admittedly I haven't heard him on the radio, but I just don't think he has the right personality type for the show to continue on from where it left off. It's as if they looked around at who is easiest to contract and has cars, and he was the first choice (no offence Chris).

I think Steve Coogan would have been a better choice. Maybe he wasn't available because of his contracts with Showtime. He's the guy on the Showtime show 'Happyish'. BTW it's a bit more complex humour of life (probably too complex for the US audience), not a sitcom which some people think. Probably doesn't help that there isn't a laugh track, you know, because you need to know what's funny then it's hilarious.

Anyways, it almost seems it will become a show about cars again, which really won't work. You need a team dynamic which I don't think Chris Evans, a female host (whoever that may be), and someone else could achieve. Jodie Kidd may be a good presenter (never seen her), but to be honest a 25 year old hot grease monkey type girl would keep all the male viewers still watching. They need to be attractive to their core viewers, not be overly politically correct by having a female host just because it's pc to do so.

I'm not saying the show will be a fail in it's own right with Chris, Jodie, and whoever else, just that it will most likely be a considerably smaller audience than they currently have.

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    BBC are numpties, they clearly should have gone with Chris Harris. But then again, I think Chris Harris is too good for BBC. He's too good for Clarkson and in fact, he's too good for all of the car journalists. I'm glad that Chris Harris is not on Top Gear, it would deter him from concentrating on his own work.

8. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Who?

Yes they are numpties and the situation gets more confusing when you read that they fired Clarkson from Top gear but are quite happy to have him guest spot shows like Have I Got News For You... so they fired the guy, pretty much killed their most popular and highest grossing show but are quite happy for the guy they fired to come back and present other shows for them... Sorry am I the only one that doesn't see ANY logic in this decision. (Well no logic that doesn't wander in to conspiracy theories about the real reasons why he was fired from TG.)

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8AMAhCRmep7VJKe1sxvHFg

Seriously, do yourself a favor, take an evening off and watch through his videos. He's a proper car nut, he knows his stuff (unlike Clarkson/Slow/Teeth) and he can actually drive cars. He understands how they work, he gets invited to all the major events, he races cars and he's a bloody good journalist. You watch his videos and tell me they're not better than anything TG have produced. I dare you.

Chris Harris > any other car journalist.

Please do watch his videos and come back to me. I think you'll like them. Here's a good one to start with these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MDTcXGsjuo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufVQ-UKZbro
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaAQW8lVaRM

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  10. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    Thanks eclap never knew about him before.

11. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Yeah I had the first one the Ferrari F40 / F50 on in the back ground and gave up half way through, the constant shouting and that's exactly what he was doing, shouting about how wonderful he thought the car was got annoying very very quickly.

If you like him that's fine I am not going to say he is worst than Clarkson and co but I found him to be very very annoying.

12. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    He doesn't usually do that, it's just that particular video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjUjwgLTB_w (from Jan 2013 mind you)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  13. Amigafan35

Amigafan35 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1080TI FE
    ^^this

14. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I liked the McLaren P1 video.

15. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    meh....

16. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE
    TG is f***ed end of story.

17. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    It's been dead for years mate

18. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    I don't think it's been dead as such. I liked the epic adventures they got up to involving racing from point to point in the most lavish way possible. But, yes it was starting to get boring.

19. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE
    I see ITV will show the old TG teams new show Sundays at 8pm same time as the "new" TG ITV will win.

20. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    I didn't know ITV signed up the three from Top Gear. I think it is a good call to do so. They know it will be a rating winner. The show format should be interesting.