AMD Catalyst 15.15 (Official Radeon 300 Launch Driver)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by d2kx, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Quejikos

Quejikos Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 290
    See: http://www.rage3d.com/board/showpost.php?p=1337720856&postcount=17

Even if they actually do, it's because of insignificant Catalyst Application Profile/CAP additions (which used to be a separate download from the driver). This is not the same or anywhere as effective as updating files corresponding to the Direct3D Version, etc. and therefore changing the version from 9.14.10.01080 to something else.

I'm surprised I have to explain these things to you guys. Thought you all were supposed to be the experts...

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  2. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    OMG....

AMD does not always advance the versioning...

this has been proven, over, and over again...

If they are not bit identical (which they are not), then they are not the same.

Also, there are 2 types of cats, the ones in a separate blb file, and ones that are incorporated DIRECTLY IN THE DRIVER BINARY.

Im starting to smell a troll: 16 total posts, signed up 5/30/15

3. Quejikos

Quejikos Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 290
    Yeah, no. Even if they aren't bit identical, it doesn't imply AMD updated anything meaningful. It's probably just because of an updated digital signature. You don't seem to understand how software development works. The version would advance if they were actually changing anything significant.

4. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    The optimizations done for the game increment the version number of the D3D driver automatically?. Do you work for AMD?

5. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X

please educated yourself before trying to correct others.

You havent a clue what you are talking about.

Troll confirmed.

6. Quejikos

Quejikos Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 290
    I'm a troll because I'm knocking down all these myths you have? Have you never followed an open source project and seen how the commit and revisioning system works?

7. PieEyedPiper

PieEyedPiper Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    Is this Quejikos guy for real?
    He's spending an inordinate amount of time wasting everyone elses time.

Quejikos, it's clear you have taken issue and do not understand what we have all taken for granted. It took us time, investigation and testing to arrive at these conclusions and I'm afraid that arguments such as "well if it was a change that mattered the numbers would be different" are not exactly compelling.
    If you believe you actually have a proper position, please, properly, represent it.

8. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    AMD drivers aren't open source...

9. Quejikos

Quejikos Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 290
    I wasn't saying they are, but that's how software development works.

10. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    It works however they set it up to work.

11. Quejikos

Quejikos Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 290
    Yeah, no. That would make no sense when you're trying to track improvements and regressions.

12. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    We're talking about incremental D3D driver version numbers connecting with game optimizations.
    It's not required.

13. Quejikos

Quejikos Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 290
    Huh? Do you not understand that when a version advances, it means something has been updated/changed and hopefully improved? I have never seen any software that has been updated without the version number changing.

14. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    You said this yourself. If AMD hasn't changed a single thing in the driver package since 14.12 to 15.5 then they're either lying to us or you're wrong.
    Take your pick :) You know about software development more than us and AMD it seems.

15. Quejikos

Quejikos Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 290
    I didn't say they haven't changed a single thing. I'm saying they haven't updated the most important components such as the Direct3D Version, etc.

Who said they're lying? They've been making half-assed attempts to improve performance via Catalyst Application Profiles/CAP as I've already stated...

16. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Troll detection engaged

17. Quejikos

Quejikos Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 290
    Yeah, look away. Wouldn't want to crush your ignorance-infused superstitions.

Do you not understand that the driver is comprised of hundreds of files (which are extracted when you run the installation EXE) with each having it's own version? Some of those files are more integral to performance than others.

18. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Why bother releasing at all then, if there is nothing meaningful done? There is a whole thread in the Catalyst subforum about how these drivers WORK with the Witcher 3.
    If you want the new "fork", there are the leaks out for you, readily available and even digitally signed.
    Or you can wait for a couple of weeks. In either case saying that AMD is doing "nothing" is false.

There is also this very legit question.

19. Quejikos

Quejikos Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 290
    Wow just wow...

I would have thought you'd at least understand what I'm saying since you did just post this: http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5098079&postcount=24

So why exactly are you comparing file versions if the number has absolutely no significance?

20. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    The D3D version in CCC is for D3D9...