AMD Catalyst 15.15 (Official Radeon 300 Launch Driver)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by d2kx, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Quejikos

Quejikos Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 290
    If it isn't signed by AMD and on AMD.com, I'm not going to install it.

2. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    suit yourself.

I installed them last night on my 290.

Great performance in W3.

3. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Stick with 15.5 then :)

4. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Windows 10 is the next 7. The performance enhancements from the Windows 10 branch are there for the previous versions of Windows too (especially 8.1).
    There is nothing "ghetto" about editing an inf. The drivers are signed and installed because a central root authority has trusted them, as you can read here. There is nothing unknown or dangerous about them, except the bugs in the drivers themselves.
    Furthermore, I see you have no multi gpu. The only people with legitimate complaints are the people waiting for crossfire profiles really. Even in that case, you have the exact same complaints from people with NVIDIA cards (see GTA V stutter etc). People like you and me have 99% of the time good performance for most new titles immediately. The only title that I truly had a performance problem with was Project CARS, and that's apparently solved with Windows 10.
    They need to improve on CPU utilization for DX11, and they need to post Crossfire profiles faster, but if you simply have 15.5 installed, you are really no different than people with NVIDIA at this point.

What I would really like to see, and it would make sense, would be an official BETA channel from AMD. I'm talking about TRUE BETA, not simply renaming stable drivers that are not WHQL'd.

5. Quejikos

Quejikos Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 290
    So basically you're saying that since I'm using a single card, I'm getting the best performance I can expect in a just-released game from a driver that was created six months ago. Yeah, no. That's not the way these things work and it never has been.

6. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    then stop your bitching and install the modded driver, it has W3 improvements.

Otherwise GTFO.

7. Quejikos

Quejikos Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 290
    Woah, calm down. This forum is only for modding discussions, huh?

8. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    The thread is about a driver. If you don't want to install the modded version then buy a R3xx card and use 15.15 without installing unsigned drivers. Either that or wait til asder signs them. Up to you.

9. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    no, but you started with the complaining about no WHQL drivers but you want the improvements from the betas.

If you refuse to install them, there is no reason for you to be here.

Im sick and tired of the incessant complaining about WHQL drivers, most people dont give a damn.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  10. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Unless you are using anything that demands a WHQL certification, the latest official driver from AMD was out three weeks ago, and it contains optimizations for games like the Witcher, that NEVER run bad anyways on a single gpu. I have the game since day one and it runs fine on my hardware.

Again, if you are on multigpu or you have a mobile chip, you have LEGIT complaints. By whinning like this for things that don't matter, you make it worse for the people that have actual problems.

There is also a historic tendency of AMD cards working better as time passes, WITHOUT a ton of driver updates, believe it or not. We have situations now that my card is within 2 fps of a Titan, how about that?

11. Quejikos

Quejikos Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 290
    I clearly never said anything about WHQL. I really don't understand why so many of you are confusing my complaint with a lack of WHQL drivers.

This is a forum... to discuss things.

12. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    "So basically you're saying that since I'm using a single card, I'm getting the best performance I can expect in a just-released game from a driver that was created six months ago. Yeah, no. That's not the way these things work and it never has been."

That would be 14.12 WHQL Omega 6 months ago.

So yes, you mentioned WHQL indirectly.

13. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    If you don't want to install unsigned drivers then there's nothing you can do.

14. Quejikos

Quejikos Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 290
    See:

15. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    A discussion has to follow a logical thread of specific evidence. We're not discussing philosophy in here.

You said that the last driver was six months ago, and it is not (unless you care about WHQL, which I assumed since you referred to the WHQL driver as the latest one).

I replied that whinning for things that are non-issues takes away from complaints that are issues like:

• How late Crossfire profiles are
    • Terrible overhead in DX11
    • Mobile GPU issues

The seem to do a lot of work and general optimization for the DX11 situation, the rest is on the air.

For us as single-gpu users there has never really been any large disparity between us and NVIDIA users (speaking about products on the same price range, don't go comparing the 290x with the 980). The only issue we really have is the overhead.

EDIT: There have been big differences between drivers with the exact same build numbers on D3D. Sometimes it's a profile in the driver service that makes a difference, other times it might be different compiler settings. 15.5 is NOT the same as 14.12. You want proof? Bench both of them. They both belong on the same driver "fork", which is the Windows 7/8.1 "stable" fork, but they are not the same.
    Meanwhile there has been a flood of "leaked" drivers that they have released, so we can get a taste of the other "fork", until it is ready by the end of June.
    I can't see any legit complaint you might have as a single gpu user(except Project CARS maybe, but even that is a bit debatable).

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015

16. Quejikos

Quejikos Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 290
    My posts clearly have never been about the WHQL status...

17. Quejikos

Quejikos Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 290
    Let me simplify things for you. The Direct3D Version in Omega/14.12 is 9.14.10.01080. The Direct3D Version in 15.5 beta is 9.14.10.01080.

18. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
  19. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Repeat after me:

IT DOESN'T MATTER.

The drivers perform differently.

20. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I haven't used a Windows 8.1 driver since the GTA V benchmark time. Wouldn't go back now :D