Radeon R9 390X PCB Reveals Shows Rebranded product

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Its not economically possible to bring out new architectures every year.
    It takes multiple years investment to bring a prodcut to market.
    If it tanks, you lose a boatload of cash (AMD).

AMD have been innovating, and going in the right direction, just without the same resources as the competition. Considering that, they are doing very well technologically.

No ones counting on anyone buying bad products, just dont go sh*tting on their parade because you can. There are enough Nvidia and Intel fanboy's around to do that.

DX12 is the future, and its about as close as one can get right now, without tripping over it.
    AMD was quite competetive in the 5000, 6000 and 7000 series GPU's.
    May not have had huge market share, but they were competetive.

Speculation is good, it can be dissapointing, but thats not AMD's fault.

2. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    You must be out of your mind.

Lets hope that the 3xx series of GPUs is the end of the rebrands and the 4xx series starts the HBM cards and a whole new architecture.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  3. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    just my point:
    why complain about renaming???

since as long i am in computer stuff it has always been like that
    the old high end become medium and there is only the high end who is replaced by the bleeding edge GPU.
    btw it's not an AMD only syndrom: there is still Kepler in the actual line of NVidia

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Mostly because AMD has Tonga with a bunch of enhancements just sitting there, and they aren't using it, at least according to my understanding.

Which btw is becoming frustrating. I can't even keep track of all the rumors because every single new one has a thread with different conversations in each one all leading to different conclusions. I feel like when a new GPU is coming out, all the rumors should just be consolidated to a giant rumor/leak thread in the news section.

5. FranciscoCL

FranciscoCL Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    I remember the HD 2900XT launch.
    It didn't take the performance crown despite the improved memory bandwidth, so Ati put a really agressive price on it.

If this Fury X is not better than a GTX 980ti, at least I expect an atractive price.

6. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    If the Tonga refresh was made for 16/14nm, it would be very difficult/costly to port it back to 28nm, if it was at all possible.
    Fury, being the flagship, may have been prepared for both outcomes, especially since the passage to 16/14nm will happen, just a bit further down the road.

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I mean Tonga already exists in 28nm, the 285. And 20nm not being usable isn't something that happened recently, it was known to be unusable in 2012, Nvidia said it in 2012. It's literally the reason why Intel/TSMC/GF/Samsung all prepared to switch to Trigate early. They knew 20nm was bad and planar would only get worse. I think Apple was the only company who built a working product on it.

I don't know what AMD's reasoning is. Deep down inside I still think these "rebrands" are Tonga and everyone is just getting it wrong. But Idk, just makes no sense to me. Unless they didn't feel the performance gains from Tonga would actually make sense to to produce a whole new series on, monetarily.

8. SetsunaFZero

SetsunaFZero Active Member

GPU:
    Msi 980Ti 6G
    ffs whats written on the chip, dant care bout pcb

9. GALTARAUJO

GALTARAUJO Active Member

GPU:
    2 x GTX980 Strix
    Any product can be competitive, it is just a matter of pricing.
    AMD's problem is that they have to cut their prices too much to remain competitive, hurting them financially.
    On DX12, yes it is close. But how far are we from the first games written for it? If it proves to be a wait long enough, it could mean enough time for nVidia's reaction.
    As I said before, I have two GTX980 but, if I were about to upgrade/buy a new system, I would wait for another week or two.:)

10. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I still find it hard to believe that with only 1.5 months till Win10/DX12 release, AMD would release a whole new line of cards with most of them sporting DX12 support of a lesser degree than the competitor's cards from the previous year. AMD likes to fancy itself one of the fathers of major DX12 features due to Mantle, rightfully, so it just makes zilch sense.

For some reason my video cards have been from AMD and NVidia alternately, but man AMD is making it hard this time. I desperately need to replace my ancient card soon, though.

I very much hope this proves to be wrong and they did something to the chips.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    If you have GPU listed on left, you should get r9-285 4GB or r9-380(x) 4GB as it has all those new things AMD made till that release. As that looks like your targeted price range and gtx960 is horrific in comparison (it has worst performance per $ around that price, even gtx970 beats it).

And about DX12_1 both AMD and nV have certain features done on software level without having actual specialized transistor set doing that. Or they have more universal part of GPU doing few different things.
    It is hard to judge which card will be stronger under DX12 as whole till you have final game out there running.
    +DX12 as tool will deliver its main benefit (better CPU use) for all GPUs compatible
    +At time Games will start using DX12_1, this HW will be obsolete

Tomorrow, 8k, ...

12. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Not on 28nm anyway. It might have been viable on 20nm if that was good.
    20nm debacle screwed up everyone (except intel of course).

13. skyasus

skyasus Guest

GPU:
    AMD 290
    2 years waiting for Rebrand 28nm? :(

Come on AMD give us the real card 14nm

Now is the time :)

14. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    I don't think AMD had the choice. I really wanted these chips to be a refresh, even though the chances of that were very very slim on 28nm.
    No one really knows what direction DX12 will really take yet. There could be parts that are useless, or need fundamental corrections or upgrades.
    It would be bad to base a whole generation on features that aren't available or set in stone yet.
    AMD played that game with Vista and DX10, they had the most compliant card, but certain parts were removed from the spec.
    Not saying it will happen this time, but as with all DX generation advances, all our current cards will be obsolete sooner rather than later.
    If I was buying now, i'd get a stopgap card in a few weeks after the full AMD reveal. Get a really good card when 16/14nm arrive. They WILL be game changers, literally.

Sod 8K (QUHD, really) lol. Let UHD get a foot in the door first :)

There are at least two games being developped with DX12 support specifically.
    Whether they will be anything more than glorified techdemo's is to be seen.
    I don't see DX12 getting anywhere unless the consoles use it. XBone, I can see using it, at least partially.
    Then again, some effects might just be better implemented/more efficient in DX12, with the same visual output as DX11. I don't know.

15. Asgardi

Asgardi Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    Hmm...

Not very rightfully. Those kind of "close to the metal" APIs have existed in consoles since stone age and the current X1 modified DX has been close to DX12 from day 1. When developers started whining about this issue on PC AMD created Mantle to go past DX11.x to deliver those close to the metal improvements to performance. Of course they hoped developers to utilize that to get serious competitive advantage in software agaist Nvidia because they really cannot compete in hardware anymore. However it seems developers didn't care about that much because DX12 is coming and is much more videly supported.

16. zecableguy

zecableguy Member

GPU:
    MSI RX 580 Gaming X
    Seems to be a lack of "X" cards from the leaks that we have seen so far. Rumor was that the full Tonga (Tonga XT? ) was going to be the 380X. But nothing leaked from the vendors to show that a 380X exists, so far. Also no 370X.

Perhaps AMD has a plan for these. Yeah, I know, but i can dream. :)

GPUs are probably not going to make or break AMD. ZEN will. Zen has to be a success or AMD is done. A success does not mean it has to beat Intel, just close the gap significantly.

17. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Thats a good point about the XB1 having been probably developed with DX12 in mind, since they obviously knew about it before anyone else.
    DX12 is set to be huge, since almost everybody should be moving to Win10.
    I'm still on Win7U, hated Win8 with a vengeance, still do.
    But i'll be hopping to Win10 on my gaming machine, for sure.

18. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    There haven't been that many leaks at all really, and people have been focussing on the Fury/Fiji cards.
    Hilbert mentioned that his Fury/X would arrive sometime this week, so i expect they kept them til the last minute for tweaks, and or leak control.
    Could be the same with the TongaXT.

edit : I agree Zen has to be good this time round, but with HBM onboard certain chips, even as a LLCache, we can imagine the possibilites :)

19. I don't see a problem with 290x for lower price. For mobile and server market tho, i see there could be a problem with pro GPU's based on same cores and energy savings, for home users, nah, who cares, as long as it is quiet and cold.

20. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    Yup would definitely be good for them. I'm hoping to replace my Xeon X5650 @ 4GHz with some Zen :)