Go for x99 or wait for 100 series?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Adil0n, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Adil0n

Adil0n Guest

GPU:
    POV GTX 470 1Gb
    Title says it all, I'll want to upgrade my system's mobo, ram an cpu to something new, I expect to do it around september/november. Got my eye on Asus x99A with 5820k, but with Skylake and 100 series this close, I don't know if wait a bit longer and make a decision based on the benchmakrs.
    What do you think? What would you do?

2. Khalil71

Khalil71 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980ti G1/6GB
    I am going for skylake from my ivy, I guess it depends if you are going make use of the extra cores?

3. Adil0n

Adil0n Guest

GPU:
    POV GTX 470 1Gb
    That's the thing, I'm aiming for a gaming PC, I plan to wait for next year to get a GPU and let the market on DX12 settle a bit among us, but with all these net techs that supposedly are going to balance the load of graphics I don't know if I'll just be ok with a 4 or 6 core, or it will be best to wait a little longer and see how everything goes... thank god this week it's E3 and we'll get to see a bit more

4. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    how much of an improvement is skylake over what I have now?

5. TheF34RChannel

TheF34RChannel Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1080 Strix
    I asked a similar question last week and the answers came to it's too early to tell, which makes at this point.

6. Adil0n

Adil0n Guest

GPU:
    POV GTX 470 1Gb
    Guess we'll have to wait for our friend HH benchmarks

7. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    Any rumor on pricing? Gigabyte z170 looks very very good.

8. b101uk

b101uk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1070
    I would hold on a longer and see if they offer 59#0K with 8 cores/16 threads without having to pay the extra for a full-on 59#0X Extreme Edition, as IMO longer-term 8 cores/16 threads will outlast 6 cores/12 threads *, in much the same way as I7 980 (6 cores/12 threads) are still relatively competitive with the currant crop of 4 cores/8 thread CPU.

* given how more and more game developers are doing 64bit .exe and utilising >5 or more cores in a balanced way instead of overloading 1 or 2 cores where pure GHz on single cores comes into play.

I know myself there is little impetus for me at the moment to change from an I7 980, as my GTX780 is by far a huge bottleneck to performance in a game that balances load across all the physical CPU cores well, even so I wont be upgrading to anything less than 8 cores/16 threads, given how game development is progressing into using more cores better.

9. TheF34RChannel

TheF34RChannel Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1080 Strix
    None that I have found, sadly, aside from the rumoured i7-6700 for $389.99 and i5-6500 for $249.99. I'm also curious what other (high-end) CPUs come out under the Skylake moniker other than the revealed models, and maybe 6-cores and 8-cores might come later? Maybe that's just wishful thinking. The i7-6700K might have nice out of the box clocks, if correct: 4.0 GHz stock / 4.2 GHz turbo.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  10. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I will do the usual for me and just go decent i5 and O.C like a mad man

11. TheF34RChannel

TheF34RChannel Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1080 Strix
    Makes good sense yeah! The only reason I would consider an i7 version myself is not the hyperthreading but rather the highter out of the box clocks/turbo. Even though in another thread that I made in which I asked about upgrading to an i7-6700K and was advised not to with my current CPU, I am eager to see what Skylake can do - just like new tech :)

To the OP's original question, I was advised to go for the hexacore CPU if I was set on replacing my CPU, with more cores being more future-proof. However, after having watched a couple OC3D TV vids reviewing the top and low end Haswell-E CPUs I came a bit back from that. They said that the extra cores are nice when you're doing heavy rendering but otherwise they're a waste and you're better off with a Devil's Canyon with its highter clocks, which would make Skylake a more viable upgrade. So, I would wait for a bit and see what Skylake can do. Going from your current CPU to either Devil's Canyon, Haswell-E or Skylake should all be nice factual upgrades, imho - but with the latter right around the corner, wait it out. And if they prove to be magical chips I might go one for myself after all.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  12. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    For gaming, absolutely nothing. Only thing you will notice is less power being used by Skylake but framerates will be the same.

X58 has proved that time and time again.

13. Adil0n

Adil0n Guest

GPU:
    POV GTX 470 1Gb
    But, wouldn't it change with DX12? I mean, DX12 it's supposed to optimize the use of course threads and sli/crossfire setup, isn't it?

@TheF34RChannel Thanks a lot for your answer, I think I'll take your advice and what for gamescon and a bit into September before I made a final choice