Windows Phone 8.1 Update 2 confirmed for select existing smartphones

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by Extraordinary, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Windows Phone 8.1 Update 2 confirmed for select existing smartphones

[​IMG]

Microsoft has confirmed Windows Phone 8.1 Update 2 "GDR2" for select handsets, including the Lumia 735 and Lumia 830. Availability is currently unknown, but it's in the works.

In order to be able to enjoy Windows Phone 8.1 Update 2 you need to be rocking either the Lumia 640 or the Lumia 640 XL as these are the only Windows Phones with access to that particular release. Microsoft today shared details on Update 2 during a Q&A session at the UK launch of these two smartphones, stating that the update will come to select devices in certain markets.

The company did note that both the Lumia 735 and Lumia 830 would receive Update 2. It's not known when or where the update will be rolling out, not to mention which handsets will receive that version of Windows Phone 8.1. All we know is the update is planned for some Lumia 735 and Lumia 830 handsets.

The remote kill-switch laws were highlighted in the response during the session, which signifies the possibility that Windows Phones in the US will receive Update 2. Though again, it's not known as to which networks would roll out the update or if any Windows Phones aside from the Lumia 735, 830 and 640 would receive Update 2.

We'll hopefully have more details in the near future.

Source:

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-confirms-windows-phone-81-update-2-select-smartphones

2. Blacklac

Blacklac Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 960 SSC 2GB
    So weird, I was able to grab Update 2 on my 1020, but not on my 1520. Both attempts using Windows Insider App. My 1520 goes right to Win 10, no Update 2. Oh well...

3. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    Looking forward to this on my Lumia 735 and the revamped settings page.

4. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    Installed on my 735 with no issues. So far I've noticed the following.

Wi-Fi connectivity issues resolved.
    Revamped Settings page which works nicely though W10 will change this again.
    Maps is no longer in settings, to download maps you'll need to go through the Maps app which seems logical.
    Refinements: Generally seems a bit smoother and nippier.

Everything else with the update doesn't really apply to me though I like the option of App Permissions.

Windows Phone 8.1 Update 2 (Microsoft)
    Settings. Find your phone settings more easily. Tap one of the new settings categories to jump to it, use Search to find a setting, or pan down to peruse in the traditional way. Additionally, phone settings can now be pinned to Start.
    Calendar. Agenda view is back.
    Name your phone. Give your phone a name without connecting to a PC. Just tap Settings > About > Edit name to name it.
    VPN. Now you can use certificates to sign in for L2TP VPN connections. Always-on VPN profiles are now supported too, so you're automatically and always connected.
    Bluetooth. Type with more than your thumbs. Use an external Bluetooth keyboard and watch the words fly on your phone. And now get your text messages straight from your car if it has a compatible Bluetooth system.
    App privacy permissions. Now you control whether an app can access your contacts, calendar, camera, microphone and text messages. Just tap Settings > App permissions to get started.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I sold my Lumia, so have nothing WP other than my gfs phone now

6. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Installed Insider app on my Lumia 730,went directly to W10 but no Windows Phone 8.1 Update 2 "GDR2".
    Why?
    Is something that i should do to get the update?

7. Blacklac

Blacklac Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 960 SSC 2GB
    Some phones get it and some dont. I don't know what the reason is. One of mine got Update 2 and the other went right to 10, also. I don't know if there's some combination of installing Dec Preview updates first and then trying or what...

8. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    You get 8.1 U2 first then W10 on some phones apparently. Not all phones are compatible with 8.1 U2.

W10 mobile current build is unstable, a stable build is being released very early next week.