Exclusive review: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming SOC Edition

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Sorry, My bad. I thought I thought at least some of the Ti's were full versions of the chips over the years.

2. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    You have to remember also that the Titan X that Hilbert reviewed used a very bog standard bios. Most people on these enthusiast forums have upgraded there bios since then to a better performing bios. Put an afermarket cooler on the Titan X and it will beat the Ti with the after market cooler which is basically what this gigabyte model is.

Its a great price no doubt for the Ti however and better value without a doubt but the Titan X is still the Daddy regarding performance. Im not just saying it cause i own one, what i have said is truthful and factual.

Saying that though if im being honest its fantastic value for the Ti, much better value than the Titan X and its worth buying 2 of these over 2 Titans if your thinking of buying either. Saying that 4k or triple screens i would be going Titan all day long. So depends on your resolution and hz.

3. FranciscoCL

FranciscoCL Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    Original Titan wasn't full GK110 (2688 shaders vs 2880 in GTX780Ti / Titan Black)

4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Titan X given the right tweak can do ~1200 MHz on the base-clock making it roughly as good as the Ti with a board partner tweak. The difference however remains cooling and custom PCBs.

It is a bit sour to see the X outperformed after such short time due to the AIB GTX 980 Ti cards versus pricing, but make no mistake, that is one feisty and awesome card with 12GB you got there.

5. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    *Hilbert i seen u ran test with new driver that has Kepler fix, yet i see very bad kepler performance.

Did u just copy paste results from previous benchmarks on Kepler? or do u retested them with new drivers?

Regardless someone need to see thorough all benches if nvidia did fix kepler performance, cause from your benches Kepler sucks hard.

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Comparing the original Titan to the 780ti is like comparing the Titan X to something that will come out in the future. Of course the future gpus will have more shaders. What are you even trying to say?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  7. digitalforce

digitalforce Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980 Ti G1
    Awesome. Thanks for the info.

I will take AB any day over ASUS or OC Guru :)

I am curious to see how high these can OC depending on the chip. I got a Gigabyte 980 Windforce OC to 1610 stable on air..

8. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Sjeesh 1.6 Ghz on air ... that's a good OC man.

9. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    The Classified will be something worth waiting for, even though there are no I2C commands and a reportedly weaker Buck controller compared to previous cards it will be interested to see what EVGA do with it regarding voltage increase.
    [​IMG]

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Well I think his point was that it was the same architecture. Titan X is the largest a Maxwell chip is ever going to get. The original Titan wasn't the largest a Kepler chip could get.

11. digitalforce

digitalforce Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980 Ti G1
    It was unreal. Also the highest ASIC quality I've seen on any card:

77.6%

Hoping for a winner with my 980 Ti G1 when it arrives next week :wanker:

12. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Which maybe why the new release (rumour) of the new cards in 2016 Q1 is coming sooner than thought.

13. Shex

Shex Guest

GPU:
    GALAX GeForce GTX 970 HOF
    This card is just a monster! impressive stuff.

14. LimitbreakOr

LimitbreakOr Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090

The 780 ti had 2880 stream processors with 3gb ram for 699$ while the original titan that was released like two months prior to the best of my knowledge had 2688 stream processors with 6gb ram For a whooping 999$ To merely get a inferior chip. Unless you needed the double precision that the ti version lacke, titan was a horrible deal. You basically paid 300$ for 3gb of gddr5 only to get a cut down gpu lol... The ps4 has 8gb of gddr5 and the entire console costs 400$

15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    16nmFF+ will be in full production by October/November, cards usually ship 4-6 months after that. I think Pascal will be here in March personally. I'm kinda curious if they are going to use a Mezzanine mount to PCB bridge for them or how they are going to do it (Jens said he plans on seeing Mezzanine/Pascal modules in desktops, I can't see motherboard manufactures getting behind that). It's going to be an interesting launch for Nvidia honestly. It's going to be the first trigate transistor GPU, first HBM GPU for them, first chip with an interposer for them, first chip with their new Mezzanine connector all running on a updated architecture.

16. NamelesONEMail

NamelesONEMail Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1080Ti Extreme
    Have you guys seen photos of the Colorful 980 Ti iGame Kudan ? It looks ridiculous (in a good way) ... any chance we'll see one of those in a review as well ?
    PIC:http://www.pcgameshardware.de/screenshots/original/2015/06/Colorful_GTX_980_Ti_iGame_Kudan-pcgh.jpg
    YouTube(cannot find one in english):https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNTf1E_Hi5w

Its basically watercooled but with no external radiator. I love the temps on the GPU's with AIO cooling but hate the looks and you need a place to put those radiators.This one seems to be the answer to my issues with GPU AIO's.

17. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Some results (Metro 4K) show 30% over reference 980 Ti.

Even with 1291 MHz this is a little too much than what I would expect. Especially at 4K and with no MEM oc.

1291/1100 = 1.17

Anything to do with newer driver? 353.12 vs 352.90

18. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    It will be hard to beat these factory overclocked cards for AMD.

19. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Tell me about it. I am definitely happy with my 970s but still, pretty much same performance, actually most likely more with this particular card, less noise, less heat.. hmmmmmmm May wait until I grab a new monitor later this year and then see what prices are like on these.

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Thanks for confirming that the Titan had more shaders on release than any other consumer nVidia card.

I'll wait to see what the FuryX is like price wise, but if it's over £450 over here, I might just pick up a single 980ti, most likely a MSI Gaming again. Would be a hefty upgrade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.