AMD Radeon Fury X beats Titan X in leaked CompuBench OpenCL benchmark

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Deathchild, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    AMD Fury X is a test bed card and a bit of a joke if you ask me.

HBM is amazing new tech but i feel they and you(the buying customer) should wait for HBM v2.

Especially if it's a once in a life time buy type of thing. If i was sitting on money right now for a new AMD top of the line card then i'd be slightly worried about the limiting amount of stacked video memory.

For me now with a 980 i can max it out now in games like the Witcher if i have other things open as well.

I'm not 100% sure about a few things though, will double bandwidth of say 640gb/s mean it will need less memory or because it eats bandwidth i'm guessing you'd actually use more than normal.

That mean's that the card will be a beast but it's life will be very short.

I know you can turn settings down to stop hitting max memory usage but generally people buying these cards want as close to max settings as possible right.

mmm i just don't know. It'll beat my GTX980 G1 but it probably wouldn't be an upgrade either because both will run out of memory together.

Tick Tock Tick Tock roll on HBM v2 8gb and then we'll talk.

Btw this is already proven since they are re-rolling 2xx to 3xx with 8gb models only, because why?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  2. Nurmi

Nurmi Guest

GPU:
    R9 Fury Tri-X
    These "leaks" are always so conveniently timed, and only happening at the time the product is winning at something. Anyways, I wonder if these Fury's launch somewhere near Win10 release, *cough* as the only working platform.

:puke2:

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
  4. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I doubt it very much since it's meant to be under a gig to start with. 1300 max i'd say.

5. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    My Sandy bridge system just crapped out yesterday along with 1 hard drive. Had to replace that today, I was fairly close to buying 2 980ti. That is on hold at the moment. New, cpu, mb and hard drive just bought. Was just about to put the cards up for sale too. Glad it popped before that.

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    My guess would be around 1200 for the air cooled ones, bit higher for the water cooled version.

7. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    The fact that i know HBM v2 is already waiting to go puts doubts into buying a 4gb card this far down the line surely. AMD fans with a few quid spare will probably get both but like i said, if i was saving then i'd wait for the first 8gb HBM cards personally.

8. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    @Reddoguk

Disregarding AMD's improved use of memory allowing use of 4GB in 4K, there is also the yet to be seen potential of DX12 combining memory, at least for CrossFire users it "could" become a complete non-issue.

The lower end AMD lineup, 390X and down etc, are adding More memory in order to also gain more bandwidth and performance. This is actually a large part of what has been driving increases in memory size on cards using GDDR5. Hence the complete lack of effort to make more efficient use of the stuff, due to needing More even if they only Needed 2GB of the stuff.
    - also at this point in time it is a mix of marketing + possibly sidestepping wasting engineer time on an outgoing memory architechure.

9. Tarkan2467

Tarkan2467 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
    The number of leaks and rumors has reached the point of absurdity and even annoyance with this latest round of AMD cards. What a long drawn-out tease.

(I know, I know - if I don't like the leaks I don't have to read them.)

AMD, whatever your lineup is, just release it already. AMD customers want new cards and NVIDIA customers want 980 Ti prices to come down.

10. mcfart

mcfart Guest

GPU:
    HD 5970
    They will announce it......................................................at E3 :)

I know they'll be showing benchies at the conference...too bad they will be doctered to fit AMD's needs (bencies that take less then 4GB, probably won't run with graphical features that hurt AMD cards)

11. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

AMD did not develop GDDR5 that was Qimonda. HBM was developed in concert with Hynix, will have some advantages due to reduced latency but the largest gain will be seen in memory bandwidth: Each channel provides a 128-bit data interface Data rate of 1 to 2 Gbps per signal (500-1000 MHz DDR) 16-32 GB/sec of bandwidth per channel 8 Channels per stack 128-256 GB/sec of bandwidth per stack
    For comparison: NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN Black 384b wide GDDR5 (12 x32 devices) @ 7 Gbps = 336 GB/s There's a reason it's called HBM.

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    This one rules them all, btw.
    We had 2GB not enough myth long time before gtx680/770 run out of horsepower and to have vram filled by used data (friend still has 680 and if he complains it is about performance not about micro-freezes from waiting on data from system ram; and he is on 144Hz screen therefore used to notice such things).
    I opposed that one, because I know what kind of data is stored in vram and how small fraction of them is used per frame.

Then we got to 3 GB is not enough, and now 4GB is not enough. Lovely myths.
    I saw somewhere Titan X vram use in some games, some precached like 8-10GB.
    Sadly those cards with 2~4GB of vram were limited by rendering power and not by vram size in very same games and settings.

My record per game is like 2.6GB use in skyrim, which has pretty bad engine and hi res textures are not smartest things one can use there. And thing is that maybe 1GB of them was used per frame, so if I had only 2GB of vram, it would still be fine. Just more caching and unloading in background.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  13. Adil0n

Adil0n Guest

GPU:
    POV GTX 470 1Gb
    If this were to be true, then Nvidia's empire it's at stake, which besides I'm an Nvidia fan/owner, I'll be very glad! This only means harder competition like in the old days, but what I fear the most it's just that maybe tomorrow Nvidia could drop out a driver, and again beats AMD because of their long policy of delivering actual updated drivers

14. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Not to worry, 780 Ti's are not slow! Tbh your probably better off waiting for the next architecture in early 2016. Not alot worth playing at the moment anyhow that you cannot already play with what you have.

The new AMD card will not Oc like the Nvidia cards i bet, not a chance. There will be too much heat and the thing would just malfunction.

15. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE

This will absolutely happen. As soon as this card is released we will start seeing threads all over the internet that Nvidia and Gameworks is to blame.

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
  17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    If there's one thing I really don't like about this website, is it caters to a very specific crowd - enthusiast gamers. With a name like "Guru 3D", that isn't much of a surprise, however, this website often has articles about server and workstation products - products that no gamer should buy. That being said, openCL is a very powerful server platform. So acting like it "means very little" is a little hypocritical to me.

What these tests prove is the compute power of Fury X is potentially huge. Doesn't mean games will take advantage of it (not immediately anyway) but still suggests this isn't just your typical tock (referencing Intel's lingo).

18. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    When it comes to compute power, AMD have had the advantage over Nvidia for most of the last few years.

It will be interesting to see how this handles 4k, I don't see AMD not making 4k a priority though so I'm sure it will be fine.

I'm already eyeing an upgrade, thought the 970 would last but that was before I discovered DSR :(

19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    This bleeds over into everything and it always comes with blanketed statements.

Windows 10 for example, adds a bunch of cool new stuff, not necessarily related to gaming. How do the forums react? "Garbage, I can't see anyone upgrading to this, there are no performance enhancements, waaah"

People should really try looking beyond just how they interact with the world. Gamers, especially enthusiast PC gaming, represents a small fraction of computing.

20. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    Oh, don't you worry, I've Not missed this point. Actually has me quietly excited inside. We are getting some Serious power to play with these recent years, the kinda power in one GPU that the best supercomputers on the planet could only Dream about not so very long ago...

People were probably killed over the secrets of such power not even close to this not much before that too in super power spy games :3eyes:

This stuff is Crazy Good, now just need to think up something super cool to do with it all we don't already do :infinity: