XFX's R9 390X - R9 290X GPU core, 8GB vRAM

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Extraordinary, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    My bad, when I said "I thought" the 290 was good, I meant I thought it was good until I switched to the 980, then realised it wasn't as good as I'd thought it was, my biggest grumble with my lifetime of AMD experiences is that they have the power, but not the optimisation

Best way I can explain it is like having a dragster with road car wheels on it, loads of power, can't put it on the road

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of games AMD cards are great with, just that it seems there are way more that Nvidia are good with

I tried a good few games that ran badly on my AMD cards, with the 980, and the experience was completely different, they all ran great

Granted a lot of them were TWIMTBP games, but my point is, Nvidia seems to play them and the rest great, AMD struggles with them - moving to Nvidia gives me the best of both worlds

Nothing personal taken :)

I'm yet to find a game that AMD plays well that Nvidia doesn't?

But yea, I'm not whining lol, AMD have been great to me, and if it wasn't for that 295X2, I wouldn't have my 980, bit ironic I know, but.... lol

2. afaque

afaque Member Guru

GPU:
    x1300/g210/hd5750/r9280x
    the first thing that comes to my mind about amd going down in the past years is that they are giving many things open source.. obviously that wouldnt profit them.. so in turn the gamers dont acknowledge the fact that they invested money in research and developement in those features and the company is not being supported that much financially by its profits that they make from graphics side from us pc gamers.. regardless of the fact that amds driver support is bad.. thats not gud.. i admitt. But all that comes to my mind is that amd needs to up their game..

They have the console market.. first of all dont make everything open source. like tressfx 3.0. make it available to console users and amd users only. so u get a push of market from nvidia users to come to amd. then u get to rise from this crappy state they are in now for years. well if many of u be angry that why amd should close source their techs. Well nvidia does that too with all that physx $hittt.. thats been having this treatment for years now. In order to play within this market they ought to have these tactics. To atract as much customers as possible. Then when u start having that much of a revenue from graphics side, start researching on new techs, maybe SOMETHING LIKE A TECH THAT ONLY RUNS ON CONSOLES AND AMD USERS They have the console market, i see no reason to not use it to gather attention in their gpu market as well, they just need new tactics.

And for the 390x rumours, that its a rebranded 290x, u must now that where pc gaming is headed these days, 4k is becoming really common, and when u go to see the benchmarks of 290x with gtx 980 ull see that at 4k there is not much of a difference between the 2 cards in performance, and saying that which card has better performance depends upon ur need of the gpu that how u use it? if u use it to game at 1080p still then THATS NOT THE PROPER WAY TO TEST THESE NEW GPUS , even if 390x is a rebrand ild be really happy to see it getting 20% increase in perforamance than the 290x, and btw i think rebranding is not that amd wont customise this hawaii core to be used in this new gpu and just slap that gpu on a new die.. and call it 390x, in my opinion even if its a hawaii core, and has 20% performance boost, theyll be releasing the cards feature level 12_1 capable, its not that they wont even bother tampering them to their needs, and as long as its directx 12 fully capable and on par with gtx 980 in performance at higher resolutions(which is obviously the future of PC gaming) then i dont thing there is a bad aspect in releasing this gpu like this considering u are on low budget, due to those reasons i told.. :)

3. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Through AMD you got to NVIDIA, LOL! :D It's AMD you gotta thank hahaahah rofl! :D

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    :D lol, I was going to keep the 295X2, but CrossFire.... so I took the opportunity to move over, I could never have afforded a 980 otherwise

5. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Damn dude it was like god sent lol! For you to have better graphics, but I guess you earned it with that bug submission lol... little did they know you were going to sell the card and get an nvidia card instead hahahaah rofl! :D ****ing ironic. :D

If Darren decides to sell his card for 270£ I will get his. If not AMD makes anything better, by the time 300 comes out.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    A bug submission that I find out NVIDIA also suffers from lol

I'd definitely try going for the 980, these cards are absolute beasts, I run 6040x1080, most games maxed easy (AA disabled)

Not too many I have to drop graphics settings for that rez either, FC4 and GTAV I had to drop a small amount, not much though

Best card I've owned to date - but I have the Ti bug now lol

7. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Yep, i don't get it, people think if AMD went, just leaving Nvidia to it, then they would suddenly ramp their prices up to about 5k a card, only release 1 driver set every 3 years or something, and only do new cards once every 10 years or something..... what a load of crap :p

8. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I really wanna get a 980 Ti but it's too expensive.. :D

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    What would stop them though? (Price-wise) If they were the only GPU guys, they could charge what they liked, and if we wanted a new card, we'd have to pay it

You know the game 'Monopoly' - if you own the majority of the board, everyone else is fooked lol

Not just that though, without competition, Nvidia would have no reason to keep up with their performance and feature improvements - we'd end up with rebrands every year....

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  10. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I would think if AMD got out of the industry intel would probably throw their hat in the ring. They have all the resources to do so.

11. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Two words: Anti-Trust.
    Three words: Supply and Demand

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Competition is needed, it's healthy. The market would be very different if AMD went bust. If you fail to understand that, just think about it again.

13. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    One problem that I have with the 390/X cards whether or not the cards benefit having 8Gb of VRam because of the possibility of them running out of GPU power before VRam. I have did some reading of the 290X with 8Gb of VRam it seemed to benefit it @4K.

14. Scorch666

Scorch666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060 laptop
    I for one have no problem buying a 390x. If the price is right of course.

15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    A-T would not stop them from inflating prices.
    S&D will not stop them from inflating prices.
    Why? A-T would prevent them from directly taking out AMD, that's all.
    S&D will stop them from having prices way too high at point people will not buy.

But you are gravely underestimating AMD's existence and way they drive prices down.
    Without AMD S&D will put nVidia around inflex point between price and unit sold ~ profit.
    AMD gone = nVidia has measurement of their profits till now, they bump price and observe sales and profit predictions. Profit goes up? Prices follow. Profit will have diminishing returns with increasing of price as sales will decrease, but in few quarters nVidia will know exact place where they get most of market with least effort (units made & sold).

And that is beginning of the end of gaming PC industry. Because while everyone who games will still get as good GPU as his budget will allow, average GPU horsepower will not be at higher edge of technology, but much closer to lower end than today.

Games will be made for that lower end not for high end. No new effects, no need for DX evolution since there is no average customer which would use it.
    No Games requiring more horsepower since developers will understand that people will not buy game which runs poorly on average HW. No additional sales for nV, no new and more powerful GPUs needed since there are no games to use it.
    (shrinking of GPU line towards average may follow if top end sales goes to hell as a result in few years)

If nVidia is alone and bumps prices, it will be madness (self fulfilling prophecy of industry killing itself).

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015

16. mcfart

mcfart Guest

GPU:
    HD 5970
    True, but rebrands don't help. They should release this HBM card, and then slowly release lower priced cards with HBM (as the 300x series) as AMD figures out cost-cutting methods and prices drop on components.

Nobody's gonna run out and buy a 390x without consulting a review, first.

17. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Read up on Bell if you think that a company can control the whole market and raise prices at will.

Face it, AMD has ceased to exist for all intents and purposes for Intel, yet Intel has been drastically increasing performance efficiency while not raising prices despite its one horse race in the PC Desktop and Mobile market. Companies (besides AMD) try not to kill themselves.

The situation is somewhat similar for Nvidia with a 77.5% dominance. Last quarter Nvidia had almost twice the graphics card revenue as AMD. Nvidia made a profit on its graphics card division, AMD has been continuing to lose money on theirs.

Just look at their two CFO papers and tell me that you even think they are in serious competition (linked):

AMD
    NVIDA

18. elpsychodiablo

elpsychodiablo Master Guru

GPU:
    Retina Z2 + Vlab Motion
    Normal a unlocked i-7 cost in the past for 200-260€

Today on the cheapest seller i even would not buy from them.
    i7 4790k 340€
    i7 5775c 382€

So Intel don´t rise prices? lol its already over 100€ more within 2 years.

If you claim something be sure its right, fictional hypotheses are not facts, even if you wish so.

19. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Just had a look, 4790k is £280 in the UK, nothing wrong with the price.

20. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    You're "facts" aren't facts. These are the prices Intel sells its CPU's:

http://ark.intel.com/compare/35428,88040,75123,65523,61275

As you can see, it hasn't changed since 2008 (Q9650) for the same performance group.

(per thousand, prices on release)
    Q9650 =$339
    2700K = $332
    3770K = $342
    4770K = $350
    5775C = $377

Now due to inflation, $339 dollars in 2008 is worth $372.5 today.

So I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but your "facts" are bull****. Intel didn't raise prices at all, and in fact gave you much more value for your money considering the i7 tier now comes with Iris Pro graphics for the same price.