XFX places Radeon R9 390X on website

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I don't think there ever has been one product launch where XFX didn't goof up and leak information. At their website XFX has posted images of the Radeon R9 390X. ...

XFX places Radeon R9 390X on website

2. King4x4

King4x4 Guest

GPU:
    4xSapphire 290x@1200mhz
    Just why AMD? I know that you need to be different and do something to get some income but a direct rebrand of 290x to a 390x?

2 Years waiting? for what? a rebrand? Did they really cut R&D that much?

3. Herem

Herem Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    What I don't understand about the whole approach by AMD is we were previously told the 3xx series cards were being held back to reduce stock levels of the 2xx series cards before unleashing the next generation.

As it turns out that, with the exception of Fiji, the new cards are the same as the old ones I can't understand why these weren't released around the time of Maxwell. It seems like it has taken an awful long time to strap an additional 4GB of storage onto the card (Which already existed in some 8GB 290X cards) and change a 2 to a 3!

All I can say is Fiji better be amazing and the rest of the lineup needs to be very competitively priced else I can't see AMD selling a lot of cards till the 4xx series.

4. Endymion

Endymion Member Guru

GPU:
    4090 TUF
    My mind is blown too.

5. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    This is pretty "wtf" really :| I wonder about the remaining bits, like power consumption, thermal envelope and % support of DX12 though. Actual performance is also somewhat interesting. Price is a key factor here more than the name and if priced competitively enough it could make a difference. A 290X is plenty for 1920x1080/1200 gameplay, after all. Enthusiasts buying dual Titans and such are among the minority, and if they can get Radeon cards in budget friendly builds selling as steam machines and what not, it could be very helpful.

6. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    After my experience with XFX........ I will never be buying this brand again.

Two Words... "Rushed Products"

7. NoClip

NoClip Guest

GPU:
    R9 290
    The biggest problem is that we've been stuck on 28nm GPU's for an eternity. Longer than any other process i can remember. It's obvious AMD can't get much more out of 28nm. I think when they were designing Fiji years ago, they expected to be on a smaller process by now. Which is why Fiji seems to have water cooling and two 8 pin connectors, and it's likely why we're also seeing this rebrand as well.

8. Prefix

Prefix Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R7 260X 2GB
    Its not a rebrand Grenada is a Hawaii but on 1.2 Architecture.

Not a rebrand its 1.2 architecture.

9. Ziggymac

Ziggymac Guest

GPU:
    Asus 970 Strix SLi
    At least it comes with a red and gold sticker pack...can't say AMD doesn't at least try.

:p

10. Sukovsky

Sukovsky Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    IF they are GCN 1.2 aren't they much faster then? Aren't 1.2 shaders faster than 1.1 GCN shaders?

11. ApexiTT

ApexiTT Active Member

GPU:
    780ti Sli
    LOL, well... the 290 was re-branded as a 390 with increased ram.. Considering being held back by back stock I'm sure that meant there would be some re-branding.. this isn't an uncommon practice.. Nvidia does the same thing. It's profitable, how old are you guys or just idiots? LOL.
    Sorry just wanted to clarify because you hurt my head. Problem with this work and buy the upcoming fury or wait for pascal.

12. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    I wondered why the chip names were different.
    That makes full sense, since they have never "rebranded" the chip codenames before (you can't really without seriously complicating your lineup).

13. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    I'm not sure you can call them "faster".
    just more efficient at certain tasks than 1.1, and with some added functionality.
    I think the 1.2 cards are better optimised for extreme tesselation, among many other things.

14. orky87

orky87 Guest

GPU:
    R9_Nano
    We're all frustrated AMD alike but when the node is not ready what can anyone do but wait till it is.

15. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    My guess is xfx is so hurting that they need to drum up some movement so they posted this

16. Nictron

Nictron Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 3070 Dual OC
    Looks like AMD had given up and quite frankly their attitude towards their consumers/clients are disgusting. Looks like the CPU culture where they do not want to compete at all with Intel has infected the old ATi business.

Sad really. I've always supported AMD could not bare to go AMD with my last GPU and with the whole APU mess I will be going back to an Intel platform on my next upgrade unless they sort their nonsense out soon.

:bang::bang::bang:

17. kaz050

kaz050 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 FTW RGB
    Rebrand and everyone starts to go crazy,i would take a guess as to they are working on gpus with next years launch of zen. want to see the tdp of the cards tho hope they changed.

18. MBTP

MBTP Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX590
    I hope at least that they come with HDMI 2.0 Display Port 1.3.
    Otherwise its a complete Joke. my expectations around Fiji are just going down.

19. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    The HBM card is going to be outside the standard lineup?

20. Gaidax

Gaidax Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X
    I think the problem here is that if that is a rebrand of 290X, then what about 380/370 and so on? Rebrands of rebrands? It would be laughable if AMD really goes on and rebrands 7000 series again, it's a bunch of what... 3 years old GPUs now?

That would be ridiculous honestly, especially in a face of Maxwell onslaught where you have spanking fast, efficient and up to date cards for Nvidia for all budget groups.

Well, guess lucky me - I got 390X without trying now... at least it means decent driver support for my "aging" 290X for another year.