Thermaltake Accused Of Plagiarizing Designs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    An interesting story broke on the web, for a while now people noticed that Thermaltake products often tend to look like products from others ? Now I guess its how that works quite a lot n the business...

Thermaltake Accused Of Plagiarizing Designs

2. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    lol at that water block and the case too.

I was always very bad at art and design but seriously, how little imagination must they have if they copied a waterblock? Otherwise, it must be a case of re-branding under license.

3. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    They didn't even bother changing anything on the water block except the name.

4. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE
    Guilty.

5. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    That will be a licensed product, with just a rebadge.
    Not all the products are dodgy :)

Some of the cases look very similar though.

6. AgentOrange

AgentOrange Member

GPU:
    Giga GTX 980Ti Xtreeeme
    The case is a blatant rip-off...so why is the guy from CaseLabs getting so antsy when their lawyers could sort this out without an issue? Surely they've got their designs Trade Marked, right?

7. NamelesONEMail

NamelesONEMail Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1080Ti Extreme
    Hmmm ... well the cases do indeed seem copied like 99% ... but the waterblock is just identical ... in fact ? too identical to not have been licensed from swiftech ...

The Fan Controller ? its a touch screen in a 5"25inch form factor rectangle ... what did you expect ? a triangle ? a circle ? : )) seriously ... its not like they had any other ways of making it.
    The fans ? well ... the frame is closer to Cougar Vortex fans while the blades do look Corsair-ish ... BUT !!! ... don't most airflow fans look alike ? and most static pressure fans also look alike ? Most SP fans have more fan blades that are larger/wider and angled at a much more agressive angle ?
    I mean its simple science :
    -you want fans not to vibrate ? rubber mounts on the frame
    -you want airflow ? or static pressure ? of course they will be similar if not identical with other fans that try to acomplish the same thing

8. fOrTy_7

fOrTy_7 Guest

GPU:
    N/A
    Seriously?!! You're blabing about you latest prototype desing to competitive company and then you're surpriced they're using you ideas xD :banana::banana::banana:.

Have you ever head about intellectual right protection, company's secret and stuff like that? :stewpid:

If your design is sooooo distinguish then file a form for a patent, and don't blab about it. Otherwise you can only blame yourself for being stupid.

9. orky87

orky87 Guest

GPU:
    R9_Nano
    Both parties are getting publicity coverage, story hosting sites are getting the clicks/views so it's a win-win and TT is to thank for it. :)

Not many people care do they?

10. gUNN1993

gUNN1993 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670 Windforce 3
    A sad worlds where a lawyer is the same thing as morality.

11. PieEyedPiper

PieEyedPiper Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  12. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    As a designer you look at things that catch your eye, you then go away and make a version that you like. There's nothing wrong with that.

Actually buying the product and taking it home to study and copy is not ok.

Obviously that is what Shannon has been doing. That is flat out plagiarizing and won't wash.

Yes if they copied then sell at a much reduced price even with slightly poorer build quality then of course people will want the better stuff first but if the budget is tight you go with the rip off.

We ALL love a bargain or two but this is really low of them. 100% total copies some of them. Guilty as charged my lord.

13. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Indeed, they've been doing this for years and years, but they usually change a few things so there's significant enough a difference but this is shockingly lazy, even for them. I can't see how they'd be able to defend this in court.

14. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    A bit normal, it is the same block, both produced by Swiftech...

The fan controller, for be honest, well its a screen.. For the fan itself, the question will be to know if Corsair and TT dont buy their fans on the same place. ( and well we could say the same thing when you see how much the design of the last Noctua is close to a Scythe gentle typhoon.

Now for the cases, thats another story, there i aggree there's a problem.

15. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    both companies ripped off of Chieftec and Lian-Li and the first person that came up with a 6 pieces at 90 degrees sides design, aka the box.

They are ugly and overpriced as well. Still don't see a single reason to ditch my chieftec Dragon or LBX.

Biggest innovation in PC case design in past 20 years were the removable dust filters. The rest is just re-arranging things around.

edit: oh yea, that water block is is a pure ripoff. Then again, both are kinda sucky, plasticky meh designed so who cares?! :3eyes: (if they are both made by swiftech then there is even no dispute there).

Fans look similar but they have different bearing systems or at least it appears so, since one has larger center than the other.

Fancontrolers? Rly? What is a ripoff there? That they control 5 fans and have color displays?

16. perche24

perche24 Member

GPU:
    kfa2 1060 gtx
    [​IMG]

nanoxia is similar too, lack of imagination.

17. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    Oh, cmmon, people, the whole industry nowadays is nothing

but copy/paste/edit business...

“Wow I wish our company made cases like this, can I take some pictures to send to our R&D department?”
    I mean, that's what they call "exaggerating", right, too much coffee to keep you awake...

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  18. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Its the same by movies or music, there is this pop beat that's in a lot of songs atm and all use similar beats and practically same samples and similar guitar melody, thinking hey this thing is "in" atm and it will sell good...

Imo those cases look similar but overall its enough extra details that makes it a little different.. Nothing wrong if you don't have much choice to be different and still popular.

That one who's suing should "deal with it" meme and move on. lol:D

19. PhoneyVirus

PhoneyVirus Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 670
    Bottom line Thermaltake is going out of business, I have Fractal Design Define R3 Case that houses 10TB of storage. Love the case and hope they do something about it because I seen the same case a fews days ago and said the exact same thing.

20. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    This is why you need good lawyers before showing stuff to other companies. that said, Thermaltake is low-class.