The Witcher 3 Official Thread (Pt.3)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by morbias, Jun 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I can concur.. only thing is that the game won't go full screen for me if my monitor is overclocked.. I have to downclock back to 60hz in order for it to work.

That said though, it looks awesome on the Qnix.

2. Smokey25

Smokey25 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 EVGA FTW+
    I think the atmosphere in this game is phenomenal,one of the best ive experienced in years.The sound of the wind blowing and the crackling of trees and the sound of falling rain,with wolves howling in the distance is just incredible.Every area or part of every map ive been too so far gave me this exact same feeling,the sound is adding so much to the overall atmosphere,there's so much detail in this game i wish i could jump in my monitor at times.

3. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Damn, here was me thinking the
    The Battle of Kaer Morhen
    was near the end of the game, turns out its only the end of act 2 with a whole other act to go!

Was wondering a bit since I hadn't had a quest or news about
    killing king radovid

4. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Reached level 33, got mastercrafted Feline gear and swords and i'm near the end, i don't want this game to end. I'm having a blast with it.

5. A49ER08

A49ER08 Member Guru

GPU:
    evgaRtx3080XC3Ultra
    well.. my game is on hold..
    tee-hehehe

sold my GPU.. gonna grab a 980ti asap
    boy will I miss Witcher 3 in the meantime :/

6. DiiVerZe

DiiVerZe Guest

GPU:
    4GB GTX 970
    Ya, Your really going to want to take you time with
    this game, I made the mistake of finishing the game
    in around 70 hours. I still had around 30-40% of side
    quests left to do after and I felt so sad after the game
    ended. If I could erase my memory that I had of this
    game and start all over I would.

7. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080
    i just want them to release all of the free 16 DLCS already so that i can i begin my second playthrough but this time taking my time and try to do all the sidequests. i didnt realize some of them had time expirations.

8. neeeksta

neeeksta Guest

GPU:
    Giggley bite 1080 t
    I am mentioned this before in the thread, but of course it's moving so fast it just gets buried.
    Folks are capable of finding a specific problem online, however I bought a Prima Guide and it goes into detail about EVERYTHING.
    One of the coolest things is the character building path.
    As I am doing Death March, I am glad there is a guide to where to invest points.

Strangely you mentioned that 'ahem' expense because I started that 'Thou shall not pass' last night - thinking hmm there prolly is a way, but didn't know where to start, but the guide shows some neat options.

I know some would be thinking 'wtf, where's the exploration or satisfaction in hand holding' but I say everyone is different.
    Also what I am trying to say is; IF you go with the 'ahem' expense you actually miss 2 quests! ( more quests more XP)

Long story short, msg me if you get a real doozy of a problem or decision that is likely to have consequences yadda yadda :)

9. Brogan

Brogan Guest

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Maybe someone can help me out, I'm kind of unsure where I should go next quest-wise. I'll put this in spoiler brackets, as I am still relatively low level (13).

So I am level 13, plus about 1k xp, so close to 14. The last main quest I did after finishing Bloody Baron, was Back to Crookback Bog. So the story is now shifting to Novigrad and that (initial?)Quest is Suggested level 10. I also have a Suggested Level 9 quest I picked up from WAY back in the start of Velen - I wanted to find a specific merchant for something and I was speeding thru dialog. So obviously I'd do that first.

The problem is, I have been trying to "canvas" the lower part of the map, get all the '?'s out of the way, but I realize now, I'll just keep piling up xp, and I don't want to, a) get that much higher than the level 10 Main Quest (which who knows what level I'll be when that's complete) and b) have to deal with the 'xp bug' that will hopefully be patched soon.

So basically my question is, what should I spend time doing now, waiting for the patch to come out so *that*'s not an issue, or should I go to find Triss, and start what will surely be a string of new quests in the city? Thanks, and please try to keep me spoiler free if possible.

10. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I don't have that issue. I just loaded a save game with rain in Velen and the rain continued to rain as it always does when I load that particular save..

11. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    Well, trust me stay away from the game untill the xp patch comes out.
    I was kinda in the same situation like you and I went on the main story after the baron quest ended.

Problem is that I did not always receive the xp points.

So I haven't played the game since last friday, still waiting on the da** patch to come out.

Hope this hepls :D.

12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Is there something that triggers this problem? Im lvl 14 and I just went to Novigrad (lvl 10 story) after having swept through the lower parts of Velen to discover questionmarks. I believe I got XP for most of them (small amounts mind you).

13. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    Yeah, I also got small amounts, but after finishing the baron quest(in all it's stages), I got no xp points at all.

Mind you I did the baron quest at level 15.

I rather wait to the official patch before I play again.

14. Danwillysxi

Danwillysxi Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti
    Guys, can some of you help me out with understanding the performance I'm getting out of the game and if I can possibly improve it. First of all no issues with game i.e crashing etc had 2 crashes in 20 hours which I can live with so okay on that part.

The main reason for the post is GPU usage. I've locked the game to a maximum of 50fps with Rivtuner. Vsync is on, TB is on and max rendered frames (1). My GPU usage on both cards is approx 70% whilst at 50fps. I've locked the game because fps was fluctuating between 60-50 and the stuttering was annoying so settled for max of 50 for smooth play.

Now my issue comes when I occasionally drop below 50fps in towns etc. Surely if my GPU's are only at 70% at 50fps the extra 30% overhead should stop me dropping below this? (only losing approx 3-4 frames but its enough to cause a notable stutter)

Even during the frame drops my usage stays the same (70%). Shouldn't this usage bump up before the frame drop to keep me at a steady 50fps? Its like the GPU's don't realise the extra power is required until its to late and the frames have already dropped.

I will add that if I unlock the frame rate GPU usage does scale well at 95% approx on both cards but why is it not using this to keep me at my locked 50 frames?

15. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090
    DO you have hairworks on?

I ask because i have 970 sli and minus hairwoirks the game is maxed out and stays at 60 solid.

16. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Okay, sounds bad indeed. I've also finished that Q-line but at lvl 12 perhaps.

What resolution are you running at? I'm running at 1440p, Ultra (except Grass at High, HairWorks Off) and I'm getting 70-75fps in the wilderness. In towns it gets a little bit lower but the game handles fps drops well and I don't feel that it's a problem. I've also OCd a bit to ~1400MHz on the core and 7500MHz mem.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  17. Danwillysxi

Danwillysxi Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti
    No Hairworks is off. I should of mentioned I'm playing at 3440x1440.

18. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Oh, that high resolution. I remember having irregular framerates when I ran the game at 60fps locked so now I'm running at Unlimited which feels a lot better. Tried OCing? I guess +150 core would do you good.

19. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Not noticed the issue either as when I resumed from save games then the weather has always been as it was at the time the save was made, raining, thundering, whatever.

20. Danwillysxi

Danwillysxi Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti
    Yeah, I have the in game frame rate set to unlimited. My OC is +140 core. I know the res I'm playing at is demanding so I have made sacrifices with my settings to get the best performance. My issue is more to do with the GPU usage? Like I said in my original post, if my usage is only 70% why am I still getting frame drops, shouldn’t the 30% I’m not using be utilised in demanding situations to keep me at smooth 50 frames?

EDIT: What are your settings with vsync, triple buffering etc. I would'nt mind the drops in frames if it didn't make it feel so choppy.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.