Computex 2015 Exclusive: AMD Fiji GPU Die Photo

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 3, 2015.

1. StarvinMarvinDK

StarvinMarvinDK Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 4070Ti 12GB
    No but if you read this article, then you will see a couple of let downs (hot card, assumingly under 980Ti performance).

Only so much you can really optimize with good drivers...

2. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    It's the cool thing to do apparently. People won't think you're cool here unless you crap on AMD graphics cards constantly.

3. Hughesy

Hughesy Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr 980
    They've said development costs have been high, so I can't see it being cheap, plus the watercooling will drive up the price.

4. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    with hybrid cooling we have a hot card.. smh

5. Tronman

Tronman Guest

GPU:
    XFX 295x2
    Wonder how the fiji vr or whatever it is going to be called will cope? 295x2 def had throttling issues..

6. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    Talk about performance could be a smoke screen.
    Lets wait till the 16th before we make up our minds.

7. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Did you even read the article? Partners suggested it's slower than the 980Ti.

Future proof? Future proof!?
    The future is 4k. How are you going to 4k with only 4GB of VRAM? If DX12 doesn't deliver stackable VRAM this card won't be future proof, not in the least.

Future proof? Why, because the 7xxx series is still going strong? Hell yeah it's going strong, it was rebranded into the R200 series. And will be rebranded into the R300 series. How can it NOT go strong when they are working with the same cards they released years ago?

Yeah, meanwhile Nvidia has designed a whole new architecture. This is not a 'big win' for AMD. This is AMD making do with what it has, keeping costs down because they're in a financially awkward situation. And they're doing a fantastic job to be honest, but this is not what I expected.

The end result is the same. For crying out loud, it might just be a 375W card for all we know. This is how they started going down in the high-end CPU market, low efficiency.

I am not saying this card is bad. We won't care if it takes up 375W. But it matters in the long run, Nvidia's current generation seems infinitely more efficient at this point. And history showed us that efficiency is key in technological advancement. You can't just throw more and more power into those cards, you need to keep them cool somehow.
    Stock liquid cooling is just a temporary solution to a potentially long-term problem.

If DX12 delivers its stackable VRAM, this will be a good card. What problem I have is with your attitude. We don't know anything about this card yet claim it will best the 980Ti. How could anyone take you seriously, my fellow Romanian?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  8. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    It might be cheaper, I doubt so though, and if so, it won't be by a lot, don't expect 290x prices.

Memory bandwidth alone is not enough, in it's current state the Fiji is slower than the 980Ti, AMD themselves showed that.
    And AMD doesn't really have much time to tweak the Fiji itself and the drivers before launch either.

4GB VRAM isn't a lot either, DX12 may change it but that still means more than one Fiji, plus it depends on the game developers to make use of the feature.

As for future proof, it only takes a few months to change that, NVidia has just shown us how it is done.
    Plus that there already are games out there that can bring even the strongest GPU's down to it's knees at 4K when all the eye candy is enabled.

We can only hope for that the Fiji adds some strong competition to the market, I have my doubts as it stand right now though.

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Proof or GT...

10. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    DVI??
    If you really still need it you can buy a converter for close to nothing.

11. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Everyone that is down at Computex and has been talking with the boardpartner that has a Fiji states the same, even Guru3D can confirm that:

And while we are at it:

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Everyone? One random person on a blog stated that, no one else. And the "board partner" isn't AMD. Why would AMD say that the card is performing worse than the competition before it launches?

Edit: And both your quotes are from the same person.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  13. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
  14. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Go to the front and read Hilberts article, he says exact the same thing.

Someone did ask AMD which said that it was still work in progress and not that it performs worse.

15. AgentOrange

AgentOrange Member

GPU:
    Giga GTX 980Ti Xtreeeme
    I'm pretty sure he was saying it's a big win for Nvidia

16. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    Simple, brute force, 640GB of bandwidth will make a difference in the future also none of the games that are out there have any optimization when in comes to HBM memory but they will start to have and that will put this GPU in front. I also have a good feeling regarding 4k gaming on fiji.

17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Fair enough -- I didn't read this article just kind of looked at the picture lol.

Games aren't going to optimize for HBM.

The only thing AMD might be able to do is offer some kind of cool AA effect based on the additional bandwidth.

18. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Quite disappointing that the new AMD card might be slower than the 980ti however with driver updates it might improve over time. Also I can see that @4k that the Fiji card might be faster but with only 4Gb of Vram it may struggle vs 6Gb of Vram of the 980Ti depending on how efficient HBM is, because HBM might utilize less vRAM to draw textures.

About AMD phasing out DVI get over it because at resolutions below 4K @ 1080p and 1440p can do 120 and 144hz with DP or HDMI. So with those resolutions you no longer need DVI.

19. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    HBM is 8-9 times faster then gddr5, so the fact that it has 4GB of RAM it's really the last concern.

Anyway, i still have high hopes (not expectations, because i don't want to be hugely disappointed) that fiji will be the perfect card for high resolution gaming. And that is what we all need now, a single gpu that can render 4k (everything max of course) at more then 30fps.

20. AgentOrange

AgentOrange Member

GPU:
    Giga GTX 980Ti Xtreeeme
    Ok, no, I think I was wrong. My bad!

I am pretty pessimistic about this launch myself, hope I'm wrong about that too! 980Ti looks the shiz. Once third party boards come out should be TX performance.

Really hope AMD can pull one out here, for the sake of competition if anything. They need something to compensate for their lack of drivers lately, although I do believe Gameworks has f**cked them over.