AMD Driver DLLs Repository and Performance Survey

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by PrMinisterGR, May 30, 2015.

1. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Tho it's not a truly VSR...it's a "downsampling" tweak :)

2. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Really?

I don't see the real difference, the supposed "true" VSR has also reg values similar to these in the registry.

I don't believe the "hardware" and "software" VSR versions are different.

AMD explained VSR as a "hardware" only feature.

3. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The version that the 285 has is using the onboard video processing hardware to downsample with a filter from 4k, as far as I understand. The one we get is done through software.

4. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    So the 4K VSR we get on 290(X)295X2 using modded drivers is "software" VSR?

5. zerowalker

zerowalker Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 380
    What does that even mean, that 285 used a set hardware filter and software uses another filter?

Results are the same (except for the filter);S

6. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Yeap. We don't get the VSR downsampling filter from the video unit, and that's it. Performance should be more or less the same, the quality should be better with the hardware. VSR when in hardware DOES look better than NVIDIA's DSR, but even us without the hardware support, get at least equal quality to NVIDIA with DSR.

I'm starting to wonder if my card is limited to 1440p BECAUSE it's doing it on hardware. I don't have any way of proving/disproving it though.

7. zerowalker

zerowalker Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 380
    Well thing about Hardware is that it's limited.
    You can't change filtering if it's not there.
    Software it's possible to use anything, they could probably do some OpenCL version of Spline or whatever.

My card 6970 when VSR works (which is with normal drivers + VSR mod) is limited to 1600p, which i also think it's the hardware limit of this GPU.

8. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I wish there was a test program or something, with which we could detect the downsampling filters used.

9. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    I meant...you don't have an "VSR" option switch in CCC with these reg downsampling tweaks :)

10. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Thanks for the link (who also link to another link :) ) interesting videos to see the real difference between the two solutions.

Nobody is saying DSR is better which is clearly not but as you said properly VSR is better than DSR only when it's present.

Obviously even GeDoSaTo 4K is better than VSR when there is no 4K VSR avalaible! :D

What i don't see in any article is a demonstration of this "software" VSR been really different than the "hardware" VSR.

If this was real the 4K VSR additional res i have in my 290X while using modded drivers will be different than the up to 3200x1800 i get from official drivers.

There is something strange in this because when CFX is enabled in my 290X using modded drivers who allow 4K VSR in single GPU none VSR works even the "official" "hardware" ones supported by official drivers are broke.(up to 1800p).

?¿?¿?

11. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    So, R9 3xx-Fiji dll's are the absolutely stellar rock solid best dll's for GTA5 atm. What about Witcher 3?

12. Krelianz

Krelianz Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290x
    I think a database for best driver dll/game would be awesome for these dlls.

13. Atlas

Atlas Maha Guru

GPU:
    290 x2, Saphire reference
    Hmm, playing the devils advocate here but do you (PRMinisterGR) take copyright into account for the dll's? I don't know AMD's stance on this but just wanted to give you a heads up.

Excellent work btw :)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  14. Atlas

Atlas Maha Guru

GPU:
    Why (nofi)? I always believed that the current version of a driver (DirectX that is) has the best performance for old games, but I could be wrong.

15. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    So, we need another thread...with person in charge who will be updating game table with new data...

Anyone? Who wants an 295X2 from AMD? @Matt, can you provide such reward? :D

I would agree to...but I need a good cpu currently...an FX octa or such...8300 will do just fine.

...@Matt? :D

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

16. Atlas

Atlas Maha Guru

GPU:
    So, ask for an AMD octacore to be included with the 295X2 :banana:

17. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    How do we know that? Did I miss something? (I probably did, please point to me).

That's the idea, I want to put something like that in the repository, but that would need a lot of help, and we should do some standardized testing.

The copyright is obviously not mine, but AMD's. The DLLs are as legal as a mirror for drivers from any website is. I get no income from them, on the contrary I'm spending my time to maintain them.

18. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Nah...it's just too greedy. I'm not a greedy guy :D

19. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    AMD Catalyst 15.x (15.200.0.0 May 5) R9 300 Driver - AllCards MOD thread? Those are the R9 3xx-Fiji's from your Repository, right? I saw some posts from people claimed to be r9 300 the best GTA 5 driver's atm. Some people advised me to try it out...I was. I agreed. I convinced :)

20. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Yep, CrunchyBiscuit posted best dll versions for some games coud be a starting point.