Nvidia announces AndroidWorks

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by morbias, Jun 1, 2015.

1. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    As part of their Gameworks initiative and alongside the launch of Nvidia Shield, Nvidia expands into the Android development space with AndroidWorks....

Nvidia announces AndroidWorks

2. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    YAY!!!! we all know where this is headed! :banana:

[​IMG]

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Down the drain where every nVidia's proprietary technology belongs.
    But at least they can't hurt me this time around.

nVidia is only HW maker company which invades market by introducing (invading) proprietary technology into "Open" Standard.
    (While code for DX is not open, its programming methods and documentation are available to anyone. Same goes for required HW specifications.)

But nVidia has to come in and say: "We have something more than others. And it will not run on their hardware, or will run like sh..."

4. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    What? The thread?

Nowhere.

Although I think it's good nVidia are doing dev stuff, or rather, continuing to do dev stuffs as they have for many years - this device has no actual point to it.

The video did no comparison to 4K UHD televisions for 90% of what this addon box does and glossed over the GFX punch it lacks for gaming.

Not knocking anyone that wants to buy one, but ffs people, why buy another box for your teevee when your teevee already does everything this box does, minus gaming, which is incredibly out of date and doesn't run the latest games. F1 2010...seriously? That's their front page lead title? Gimme a break.

5. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Crysis 3.

6. MBTP

MBTP Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX590
    Wrong way Nvidia.

7. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    You keep making that argument but I don't know anyone who has a smart TV that can stream games from their PC or stream games like Batman Origins or Borderlands over the internet. This isn't just a Netflix streaming box. The whole point of this console is to showcase Nvidia's Grid streaming service and to my knowledge, there is no TV that does that.

And how is is outdated? The new tegra chip is pretty powerful.

8. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    ...is an old game

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    That isn't even to mention the Android TV platform itself, all the apps that will be developed, updated for the platform. As oppose to now, half the Samsung apps on my Smart TV are like unusable laggy garbage.

10. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    It's out of date. You know this because they only make comparisons to PS3 and Xbox 360 tech.

11. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Witcher 3 isn't

And yet again you're missing the point. Streaming games through Grid means you don't need to have the most powerful system out there to run the games. The game is rendered on Nvidia's servers and streamed to the device.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  12. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I think you mean Witcher 2. Witcher 3 isn't listed.

13. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
  14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah except you can stream it from your PC to the console and play it.

And I fail to see what your argument is anyway. You're like writing off 2 year old games as non-important when your alternative can't even play games. Like you're seriously comparing TV software to a dedicated TV platform that runs on Android?

15. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I'm arguing the merits of a teevee system that works just fine in UHD and is hooked up to every app you would need via Android (in the case of I believe Panasonic) or whatever inbuilt app resides on the teevee you buy.

As for games, you can buy a games console, which is more powerful and (in addition) also has all of the apps one would use for teevee anyhow - if your teevee doesn't have any of the apps or types of apps avaliable to it.

In terms of them promoting a games console, I'm arguing their approach is one of holding up their system to be some kind of answer to a question no one has asked or provides a solution to a problem which doesn't exist.

Is there a problem with playing the very latest games on your teevee via a console? No.
    Is there a problem playing UHD content via Android of w/e OS via your teevee directly, without the need for a set-top box? No.
    Is this an alternative to a console? Not. Really.

They way they tell it, is there is a problem and this device addresses that problem when it doesn't need to.

As for the streaming aspect, yes, I like the technology behind it but any attempt chance we have of reminding companies that we do not want to have our games in some sort of subscription model and have them as tangible items we have in our hands for the rest of our lives so we so wish, then we should.

Btw, new teevees do have the ability to play games straight off the box - although they are pretty cheap looking 2D games, but still - consumers are dumb and tell them a teevee can play games in 4K UHD without the need to buy another box or have another remote and they will buy it.

16. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    Streaming games from your PC to your Shield requires no subscription.

Contrary to your statements, it is suitable as a console replacement if not only for the fact that it's hundreds of dollars cheaper.

No one is playing any games on a smart TV's software.

Their system is a problem that exists. I want to play games on my TV and there is no simple way to do that. I own an xbox one, most of my media consumption happens through that. I have a shield tablet that stays plugged in to the TV most of the time, which I use to stream games, from my pc, to the TV. If the console had been out 6 months ago, or whenever I bought the tablet, I would've gone for that.

The smart TV can't play anything worth playing, so that's out.
    It can't stream games from PC
    Most will never receive updates adding additional functionality or apps.
    It lessens your selection of TVs further by limiting you only to smart TVs worth having.

Smart TVs are solving a problem that doesn't exist. Rather than having the software come with the TV, and causing most people to "make due" with their smart TV set up, we should make it easy to buy a box that checks all the boxes for what that person is looking for.

I've never met a person that was satisfied with their Smart TV. It's either got weird update issues, the menu is horrible, the apps are using old interfaces or designs, or they just don't even work.

17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I guess that's great if you already own that.

I currently have 3 TV's and only one of them is a smart TV. It's a samsung and it doesn't run android. So my option is either buying an Panasonic TV running android (which I can't seem to find) or buying this. With this I get a significantly faster set top box that's forward compatible with any device I buy in the future. It's transportable. It runs Android TV and not just Android. It's cheaper then buying a whole new TV and I can pair with any device I want. It offers additional functionality through Nvidia's Grid/Game Stream service + it can play higher quality native Android games.

So yeah. I guess if you already own an Android based Smart TV, then obviously you may not want to buy this. But for the rest of the world who doesn't, I don't see how it's a useless device. Your original post just assumed everyone owns a TV with this functionality already and that because of that the entire device "has no actual point to it." which is a pretty ridiculous statement.

18. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I meant the people who own a 4K UHD teevee, and those about to buy one.

The android OS built into teevee's are with Sony, Philips and Sharp.

Citation

ninja edit: looks like you can use your existing tablets and phones to control the teevee as well, using Android.

ninja edit#2: also looks like this is a pi$$ing contest between hardware manufacturers, and gamers are caught in the middle - I don't want to get involved in this. See you when 8K comes out.

19. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Right now there are only three Android TV devices. The Nexus Player, Shield Console, and Razor Forge. Sony has announced their Android TV line, but they also carry a huge cost. You still have to have dedicated hardware to use it. In terms of hardware though, the Shield Console is still the strongest of the 3 being made to play games or stream games, and having actual gpu cores as well.

Even when Samsung, LG, or any other company come with their Android TV devices I easily guarantee none of them will be at the Shield's level for GPU performance.

20. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    That's just if you insist on using Android TeeVee, but there are 4K UHD teevee's out there for sub $400-$500 range which will do everything consumers would want from a smart 4K UHD teevee - so again, it falls back to the 'why' syndrome.