EVGA leaks GeForce GTX 980 Ti SKU lineup and prices

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 29, 2015.

1. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
  2. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    These are cards for people who are willing to pay top dollar for those last few FPS with multiple monitors or super high end gaming monitors. Most people can get by with a $200-$500 card or a variation of SLI/Crossfire and get a massive price/performance ratio increase over any Titan/Ti setup.

The ultra premium GPUs are getting into the "If you have to ask, you can't afford it" category.

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I do not think many people here have even right to complain about even $800~850 price tag on 980Ti.

As 970/980 came, I and some other clearly mentioned that those cards are not true high end, because nVidia cut down on transistor count & power consumption (good move from them and very good improvement). But as everyone was willing to pay similar price as 780(Ti) for bit higher performance, it became only logical to have real high end priced higher.
    We are at time where high end is around 250W. And it will be so till there is some drastic improvement in transistor technology.
    Just look on each generation top cards, their power consumption/transistor count. They were held back only by limits of forges and PCIe power standard. (With exception of one or two cards which jumped over limit at that time.)

4. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Yeah, $800 lol
    Milk the poor nV fans even further.... Before the Fijii came in 16 june... And milking will be Over and the Prise go down to $499...
    Wait for Fijii Gamer Brothers :D

5. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    Meh, the initial price is what matters. Even if Nv drops the price say to 700$ after AMD cakes, the third world country prices (or my country) won't bulge much. The 970s are still as costly as they were at launch, infact most gpus in stock are. Interestingly, the old high-end GPUs, like 580, if around cost as much as a 980(ala high-end bracket) or just disappear.

Sometimes I think I should just drop my hobby and collect for a migration instead.

6. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    So who is actually buying the ti?

7. CrisanT

CrisanT Guest

I am confident that AMD is going to hold the crown this year with Fiji

I am 100% sure that AMD Fiji is going to "wipe the floor" (exagerating a bit) with the 980ti even with the TitanX. Otherwise i cant see why Nvidia is rushing to release this card, unless they want to sell some GPUs before AMD releases the new card @ 700$ (give or take) and a better performance.
    I have never been a flagship card owner, i can't afford it, and tbh it is pointless @ 1080p. Curently i am very happy with my Radeon 7850 2GB card, really, there is no title that i cant play on high settings.

8. kobiandy

kobiandy Guest

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX670
    R9 295X2 is what I'll shell more than $500 on...not this +7 fps crap

9. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Nvidia is not rushing cards out. They been slowly releasing maxwell cards for over a year already. Starting with the 750ti/750. It would help amd though to rush something out now as all these cards are mia as of right now. 290x, 290 are freaking kepler era gpu`s, long EOL on the nvidia side. This is why amd has on less than 25% of the discrete vga market. I doubt all the rebrands is going to help much. They need fiji out like last quarter. Comping late to the party is part of the company slogan, Wont be very much longer, that pascal will be release (around a year) and these fiji cards are going to try and play catch up yet again.

10. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I'll more than likely pick one up.:banana:
    Especially if it ends up being $649

11. k37chup

k37chup Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit 4070
    I will. I want more than 4gb of vram because I won't be upgrading for years.

12. Megabiv

Megabiv Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    I will be looking at it along with the Fury or whatever it's called. The better one gets my money, and by better I mean price performance better not 5fps better.

13. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Count me in. Though I may wait and see what Fury brings to the table.

14. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Whatever Fury brings, it won't bring it in price/performance.

15. zcess81

zcess81 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC
    I don't understand people complaining about the price. If you think it's too expensive, you don't have to buy it. NVIDIA, like any company, will price their products as much as they believe people are willing to pay. Whether something is 'worth it' is totally subjective. One person's insanity is another's sanity, and vice versa.

If someone is willing to pay X amount of money for a Y product, then that product is worth it to them. So if GTX 980ti sells well, then the asking price (whatever it may be), as well as the product itself, is worth it.

Last edited: May 30, 2015

16. Dataplague

Dataplague Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Titan X 12gb
    $649 is more reasonable, and I may pick one up, EVGA do tend to command a premium though, thats probably why theyre looking stupidly priced

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  17. NukesGoBoom

NukesGoBoom New Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 260
    I completely agree that these prices for brand new video cards are totally insane.

I have a possible solution though. It seems that the brand new retail price of a video card drops significantly when it becomes used, and with the passage of a fair amount of time. In theory the cards should still work just as well as when they were brand new.

For example, I got a used EVGA GTX 780 Superclocked (SC) edition on ebay for $259 not including shipping. When that card was first released in May 2013, it was $650. Now here it is exactly 2 years later to the month, and it's original retail price has dropped 60%. Again, it should work just as well as when it was brand new.

Seems like that's what I would do in response to these insane brand new retail prices. Buy a used and moderately older card that was high end for it's time. Get the same performance as if it was new for that much less money.

Should be a good strategy for anyong still in 1080p gaming like me.

18. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    980Ti isn't meant to sell well. It's meant to A) be faster than the AMD Fury for marketing purposes and B) get rid of binned GM200 (Titan X) chips that are piling up at the factory and C) fill a fictitious pricing gap. The projected sales are probably low, as in the tens of thousands of units, as tech enthusiasts willing to spend that much are likely to prefer the 100% functional Titan X anyway and have bought one or two already.

19. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Ah good, now we know the price. Still happy with my 980 SLI purchase, although this is a nice card specs wise :)

20. orpheus

orpheus Guest

GPU:
    2 x GTX Titan 6GB sli
    so basically this is just a slightly cutdown Titan X with a few less shaders and the memory of course.....seems to be evenly priced compared to hardware used IMO