EVGA leaks GeForce GTX 980 Ti SKU lineup and prices

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 29, 2015.

1. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    The thing is... It'll sell like crazy. BTW, you do realize that there's a lot of really rich people out there that will easily spend that money on a gpu.

2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Seriously Prices on gpu have gona the stupid root, and i blame the people that pay those prices

3. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Nvidia on their knees over vram-gate, lol

Their sales actually picked up, 970s were flying back with extra cash for 980s, Nvidia were laughing all the way to the bloody bank! :D

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Uh if no one buys it they will lower the price. Nvidia isn't just going to keep selling at high prices if no one buys it. This is a billion dollar company with 20 years of experience, not a high school economics class. They probably have multiple people who's entire job is dedicated towards figuring out the optimal price.

This isn't even to mention that there are cards at the $500 price point that play every game at the highest settings @ 1080p just fine.

You make my state look bad, please stop.

5. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Always laugh at the people who keep trotting out "vram-gate" as if it made any difference whatsoever.. people still buying the 970 like crazy.. the G1s I bought weekend after release have only gone down in msrp by about 40 bucks.

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Wait, who said nvidia were on their knees?

7. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    The hell, nobody is being forced to buy anything gm200 related. There are more reasonably priced cards out right now. 980/970/960. You arent being forced at gunpoint to buy anything nvidia related or any other company`s products. I personally would never buy a Titan, but you will never see me bashing on people that do.

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    The 970 I bought from Novatech on release day morning is still retailing at the exactly the same price. And they're selling as hot cakes. If I was nVidia, I'd price the 980ti $50 higher, most likely. People will buy them no problem.

9. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Indeed lol, I think nvidia is stronger and cockier than ever right now. The 970 "disaster" was clearly blown out of proportions and affected them little if at all. Also, there is no such thing as bad publicity! :)

10. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Considering how many people have happily thrown 1.2k on one or more titan X, Nvidia could indeed do this and people would pay it.

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Agreed, if I was nvidia right now, I'd even be more greedy, in all honesty. Hey, fancy a session of Grim Dawn anytime soon?

12. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Honestly, everything is blown out of proportion all of the time.

970 vram - tech users all over the internet are outraged - reality is that its really not a huge deal. 970 still a great, high performing card at a great price point.

Steam Mods fiasco - this one I can more understand the vitriol that it generated, but still, massive reaction that was not entirely justified.

Witcher 3 downgrade - hoardes of $hit thrown at CDPR before the game was even released from people who saw trailers in 2013 and then 2014 and still felt it necessary to whine about a downgrade.. ff to now and the game still looks amazing, and most importantly doesn't play at 20fps on reasonable hardware.

moral of the story, keep calm and something something.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    yep. agreed

14. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    hmmm ... me thinks most likely nvidia and AMD are probing the market with higher prices hikes every year wihin similar perfoming SKUs in the lineup , keep upping and upping the prices non stop , correct me if i am wrong here : Let's recap nvidia video cards pricing for the last 5 years on the high end. gtx580 = $499 US dollars at release date - gtx680 = $499 US dollars - gtx Titan = $1,000 US dollars - gtx 780 = $649 US dollars - gtx 780Ti = $699 Us Dollars - gtx Titan black = $1,000 US dollars - gtx 980 = $549 US dollars - gtx Titan X = $1,000 US dollars - gtx 980Ti = $799 US dollars ... This needs to stop as the same applies to AMD :/ , if this keeps going where if ever is going to stop ?
    what's next ? an AMD 490X for $1,000 Us dollars or a GTX 990X for $1,500 US dollars. this my own view and personal opinion as what i am seeing in front of me , i am in no way a fanboy of neither green or red team , fyi my last 3 generations of video cards were like this = Nvidia and AMD

Sources: guru3d

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_580_review,19.html
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_680_review,26.html
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_780_review,29.html
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_780_ti_review,29.html
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/nvidia_geforce_gtx_titan_black_review,28.html
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/nvidia_geforce_gtx_970_and_980_reference_review,29.html

15. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    truth be told, I haven't played it in over 2 months. Got back into POE and now into W3.. can't see myself logging back into GD until that game is finished, if it will ever be finished.

You backed Umbra yet? :)

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I mean to be fair, they've been selling cards at $500 for a long time. YoY inflation since 2005 is an accumulative 21% for the US dollar. This isn't to mention that the cost of designing the architecture has increased significantly. The G80 was $600M. Nvidia spends half that a quarter now in R&D, so if you figure a new architecture every 2 years and half their R&D goes towards that -- that's nearly $1.2B+ to design a new architecture (and I'm sure more than half of R&D goes towards it)

And yet still they release $500 cards that are essentially capable of playing all games at decent frame-rates at the highest settings.

17. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    agreed ,i just hope this huge companies do not keep upping prices on the very high end of the spectrum.

18. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    The only way to stop it, is not to buy it, and that will not happen.

As several in this thread have correctly pointed out, it is going to sell. The fact that Nvidia have chosen that price point also leads me to believe that AMD's offering may not be 'all that it should be'.

Many people have now been conditioned to think that a 25% performance increase is worth 100% more money.

Further to that, many people just want the 'latest thing' regardless of what it costs.

I think eclap said it was because there are a lot of rich people out there but I don't think that's true at all, many people I know always have the latest phone, laptop, tablet and they are not rich by any stretch, they'll just dump it on the CC (I'm not saying there aren't affluent people out there FTR, naturally there are).

I used to get so excited about new GPUs, CPUs etc but now I am genuinely underwhelmed with these small performance gains and large price tags.

People should always do what they want with their money however, it's simply not up to anyone else to judge.

19. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Yep, Umbra backed. Maybe play some PoE together next week?

20. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    ^ POE I'm waiting for next act to be fully released. But once it is, yes for sure.

Witcher 3 tunnel vision for me right now.