The Witcher 3 Best Performance

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Raziael, May 19, 2015.

1. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    I may to do that if i'm less tired. That's alot of reading :p

2. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Well you know, we must "believe" in DX12 "Holy Grail".

It's supposed to solves ALL AMD drivers problems.

Have faith! :D

3. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Nahhhh

Half % of posts were a "civil war" atempt from some users trying to silence the thread who ended with a ban.

The important info is restricted to a few posts mainly the OP post.

4. velocityx

velocityx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FE - EK FCB
    yup, and this is why I dont feel like buying any new amd cards even if they are faster than titan x. connecting an amd cpu with amd gpu yields a disaster in performance, its better with intel because of high signle core performance but still its so much slower. and its been this way for the last two generations of cards ever since nvidia responded with their drivers to the amd mantle front. and tbh its nvidia whos victorious here, weaker hardware, better software, better performance vs better hardware, archaic software=mediocre performance.

5. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I don't consider an AMD CPU a valid option for a SERIOUS gaming rig. Period.

The problem is even using a good Intel CPU, the AMD drivers DX11 lack of performance makes the powerfull AMD GPUs performs bad...very bad in games compared to the competition "on paper" weaker hardware.

Pirelli:

"Power without control is useless"

This is AMD GPU performance in DX11 games.

6. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    It is funny about AMD CPUs, that now that slowly they are beginning to perform better (see the 8350 in BF4, the Witcher, the Oxide Demo etc), they will be replaced by Zen, which is the opposite architecture really. :3eyes:

7. dove

dove Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor 6950 2GB
    I found with Vsync Always On and Triple Buffering set in Radeon Pro, I was still getting tearing, quite obvious scrolling around the world map, so I had to set in-game Vsync On. Not sure why the RP Vsync didn't work, I launched the game via RP. I'm using RTSS to limit to 30fps as well, maybe that's why.

I can't really play the game at the moment though as the damn text is too small to read comfortably on my 50" 720P TV from about 7ft away. Despite all the talk about it being limited due to being designed to work on consoles, clearly something's different to the console versions as people play games on those on TVs at 1080P and there's no way they'd be happy with this unreadable text. I recall I had to use a mod for Witcher 2 to change the fonts to make it comfortable to play, so I'll just have to hope that one is available for Witcher 3 soon.

Not specific to this game but it bugs me that subtitles are always done in a light font with no background that is often hard to read against the game graphics. Surely the main point of providing subtitles is for those who are hard of hearing so that they can follow the story, so the least game designers could do is make them easy to read by displaying them against a black background. I'm sure those who need the subtitles would be happy to have a bit of the game graphics blocked by the subtitles' background in order to make them easily readable.

8. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    I saw people with consoles versions of the game complain about the text size and that they could hardly read it.

9. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    The text fix is also coming for PC versión.

There are "strange" PC gamers like me who enjoy a 60 inches TV gaming experience from a 10 foot apart couch.

I really don't want to use two sets of this while playing: :nerd:

10. dove

dove Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor 6950 2GB
    Yes, us strange people who like to relax in our comfy chairs when playing games, instead of sitting hunched over at the same desks we've spent all day working at ;)

Great news to hear the text fix is coming for the PC as well as consoles :banana:

11. hansguru

hansguru Guest

GPU:
    7870@1.3
    I 've always had forced AF x 16 in CCC. Now after playing with drivers i forgot to set it and it turns out it costs like 7 fps in W3 (even with textures set to uber - in game af x16). I dont know why but i always thought its free quality without actually testing its performance hit.

Also new DLL's 15.200.1036.0 give me nice boost up to 4 fps in city.

12. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I would like to report back that with the 1036 drivers, tesselation at 16x from the CCC (NOT RadeonPro, it is somehow different, I don't know why), everything on the absolute max including HairWorks and with SMAA from RadeonPro, I play at a locked 30.

13. PieEyedPiper

PieEyedPiper Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    PrMinisterGR, have you been able to do any frametime testing for W3 with regards to these 1036's vs r300 vs 1023.3?

Also, were you unable to maintain locked 30 with those settings and other drivers? Which ones?
    Thank you.

I've recently had a similar realization. All of a sudden, seemingly, these new generations of games really do take a fps hit with AF x16 turned on. In previous years, cards, hardware and games, you're right, 16x AF was essentially free!

Which drivers are you currently using in combination with the 1036 dlls?

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  14. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3
    I seemed to show a few frames less with some more drops into the 40s where i am in the witcher, which on 15.5 seems to float consistently between 54-60 fps in the same area..

15. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Win 10 TP performance same or worse than Win 8.1. FPS limited at 50fps, 50Hz vsync, Ultra

[​IMG]

16. Krelianz

Krelianz Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290x
    problem is amd focused on too many cores instead of per core performance when most games weren't properly multithreaded, now that games are using better all the cores of amd cpus they may have a chance against intel.

17. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Not really, I have had to keep the NVIDIA HairWorks off, while now they are on. They seem to be taking down my framerate closer to 30, so I literally use the other parts of the card that wait for the tesselator to increase the quality of the rest of the game. 15.5 was a nice driver for the Witcher, and 1036. I haven't had the time to check 1038 yet.
    As for AF, I believe it is a general LOD issue with newer engines, because they can push so much detail at closer ranges.

The messages for Windows 10 seem to be a bit conflicting lately. Windows 10 seems definitely to be more stuttery in these conditions.
    Also, is it my idea or people get WORSE draw calls with the same drivers in Windows 10, compared to Windows 8.1?

18. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    I think I'll wait till win 10 official rls and benchmarks...before I choose my next Intel or an AMD cpu. I hope the AMD could cope with Intel in games just fine...but we will see.

19. PieEyedPiper

PieEyedPiper Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    Thanks for the response.
    I'm having trouble trying to find a consistent spot in W3 to do any meaningful testing. Does anyone have any advice? I have not yet made it to Novigrad and I hear that place will make pc's cry. Is that the best bet?
    Each time I have it dialed in, I will quick save and do a few test with the same settings (shutting down the game, and reloading that save) but each time the fps is 2-4fps different - same drivers, same settings. So you can imagine improvements are difficult to distinguish.

Either way, I'm getting 40-60fps (capped w/ RTSS) with hairworks off, shadows on low and pretty much everything else on ultra and high. 99% gpu usage. Tessellation set to 8x. Using 1023.3 driver.

I've only had one crash, and it was instantaneous, too. Never so fast have I been doing one thing and then get slammed to the desktop, haha. I think GPU temps were to blame that time. This game really doesnt like it if GPU gets over 74C. It's also the only game that puts my GPU over 74C :nerd:

I also did this to see if I could get any gains. If I did, the game is really just too dynamic for me to see a benefit but it certainly hasn't hurt anything:

"Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\witcher3.exe\PerfOptions] “CpuPriorityClass”=dword:00000003"

Just gives game "High Priority" on launch.

Also added this to the user.settings file. Noticeable improvement in texture clarity, no noticeable performance hit.

"[Streaming/Textures]
    UseMipRefiner=true"

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  20. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The only thing I can tell you for sure is that any kind of frame capping has made the game stuttery for me. Either from RaderonPro, RTSS or the game itself, frame limiters have made it worse. I only use Double Vsync from RadeonPro.