ASUS Rampage V extreme code 00, after code 79 nightmare!

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Solfaur, May 15, 2015.

1. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    So my new Rampage V arrived yesterday, the build went smooth all until I started powering up. The very first boot took a long time and I noticed the error code 79. I got into the Bios(#1), checked it out a bit and did a couple of restarts. Each time I got code 79 and it took ages (2-3 minutes) to boot unless I did a quick shut down and restart, then it booted fine. The factory Bios was 0802, I flashed it with no problems through usb ez flash to 1401, however I kept getting the 79 code, even with the new Bios. I tried different settings and of course stock and no good. I then switched while in uefi to force boot Bios2 and the 79 code disappeared. I installed Windows and the drivers and then I decided to check out if by some miracle Bios1 still has the problem. So I selected it in Uefi again by doing force boot Bios1, it booted fine, no more 79. After the shutdown however, the system wouldn't boot anymore at all giving code 00. This is SO, SO weird and now I guess Bios1 is dead?!? WHY?!

I managed to switch to Bios2 (0802), however this now also gives me error code 79 and it takes ages to boot. I did find out though that if I switch "Slow mode - on" on the mobo I don't get 79 every time anymore.

Another issue, (almost) every time I do get into windows I have to uninstall and and reinstall my network drivers in order to be able to connect to the internet.

Everything I did was on stock settings, I'm scared to even try to set the memory to run at XMP 3000 for example or do some minimal OC... because the crappy Bios2 is all I have left apparently.
    I'm also scared to even try to copy Bios2 to Bios1 (via the uefi bios flashback thingy), but no matter what I do right now it won't boot up at all from Bios1 (1401) and give me 00 and I can't understand WHY.

my specs are:
    5820k /w H100 push-pull
    16gb 4x4 HyperX 3000MHz
    2xMSI 970 SLI
    OCZ 480 ssd (with windows on it), another 120 ssd and 4 hdds totaling 7 TB.
    Nexus 1.1k Gold PSU 1100w

So yeah... do I seriously just have the worst kind of luck or is there something wrong with one of my components? I have no ideea. I made threads about this on Asus forum as well, and so far nothing. Thinking I should go straight to Asus support and ask for an RMA or something.

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    code 79 is CSM aka compatibility boot mode for uefi..

Set HDD to both legacy and uefi, gpu to uefi, lan to uefi, usb to ignore or uefi and go from there.

If its still happening yeah RMA it, one m8 had some issues with his Z87 ROG maximums Formula mobo too, he rma it in the end..

3. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Weirdly enough I started to get the 79 code less and less on Bios #2. In the last 5-6 cold boots/restarts for example I have not gotten it anymore.

However my BIOS #1 is stuck in 00 error code and won't start no matter what. As I have described above, there is no reason, or at least none that I can see for this to happen. The flashing went fine, it even told me that it was successful, it worked for several cold boots/restarts (albeit still with error code 79 almost all the time) until I switched to Bios #2 and then switched back to Bios #1, without actually changing any settings/copying/flashing, and BAM! 00 code, 1-2 seconds start-shutdown loop. :(

There is an option to copy Bios #2 to Bios #1 and the other way arround, but I'm scared ****less to even atempt to do that at this point.

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I wouldn't set the HDD to legacy and UEFI (or whatever, not sure of the settings). I'm not saying TJ is wrong, just that if it does work I believe it may be masking another issue. Besides, there would be no reason for that to work if your boot drive is set to UEFI anyway. Keep in mind the discussion in the other thread about where the Windows Boot Manager is stored :). I think your main issue there for a start was that the Boot Manager was on a different drive, and when you changed around the drives it stuffed up the Boot Manager 'reference' to your boot SSD. Your other issue with the motherboard was most likely coincidental.

Now, there are four possibilities I see with your issue.

The first is that what TJ was saying is correct. It may be the case that the boot manager is on a GPT drive and it is referencing a MBR drive, or vice versa. Not sure if that would cause an issue or not, but ideally your boot manager should be on the same drive as your boot drive anyway :). As I mentioned in the other thread this can very easily be not the case. I don't know if there would be much reliable information about mixing GPT and MBR with the boot manager and boot drive or not though. A key point to take away from this is that it probably won't show as an error in the bios, it would most likely just error on actual loading.

The second possibility is that the new bios has a bug. This is pretty unlikely, and would have already had been resolved seeing as it is over a month old now.

The third possibility is that your new board is faulty. It can happen, and if you're superstitious you would be putting this in the category of 'bad things come in threes'. If anyone hasn't heard of that before, it's only a google search away...

The last possibility, and it looks like this is probably the most likely, is that something else in your system is faulty. You could try unplugging absolutely everything except for one stick of RAM, one GPU, and your new SSD and see if it actually get's past the error code, and work from there. The risk in doing this in terms of finding the culprit part is that each part puts load on the PSU, so you may come across the 'offending' part, where in reality it is the PSU.

I realise you probably know of all this already, but sometimes issues can be the simplest of things.

It could be a compatibility issue between the GPU bios and the motherboard bios. Google 'gpu csm boot'.

The above sounds complete bull I know, but it has actually been an issue for people! The solution would be to check to see if there is an updated bios for your GPU.

You could disable CSM, however this disables legacy boot, which I believe you need to boot USB flash drives in MBR format that have your Windows installation on it. You can still install UEFI from a MBR flash drive. You could set up the USB flash drive to be GPT and FAT32, but that requires an extra step, and if you do disable CSM you are removing an extra 'safety' layer if you come across an error requiring MBR boot from such USB devices.

Thinking more of your issue, I honestly believe it is a GPU/system UEFI GOP issue. I would have mentioned that first, but I only thought of it at the last minute :).

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2015

5. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Well, regarding the OS SSD, I followed you instructions pretty much to the point and I seriously doubt it's that. I only had the OCZ SSD connected when I did the first boot, installed windows from a proper set up USB stick in UEFI mode, then Windows (or the mobo?) made a 300MB "Recovery Partition", a 100MB "EFi System Partition" and the main partition with the ~447GBs. As said though, I did get the error 79 very early on BIOS 1, even before flashing, after I had the flashing done and booted a copule of times I went ahead and installed Windows as explained above.

I made a thread on Asus ROG forums as well, and there it is suggested that I shall: "Switch back to BIOS 1. Clear your CMOS. Then proceed to reflash the 1401 BIOS using the USB BIOS Flashback procedure. See if your system will post. If it doesn't, try loosening the screws for the H100 a little."

He also said that I should not take out the power cord when clearing CMOS (I always thought that you need to do that), and the H100 part seems also really weird, but at this point nothing surprised me anymore. I guess I will give it a go when I get back home. I will however not flash my GPUs, I seriously don't want to get those damaged as well, they are perfectly fine. I even redone the overclock on them and it's still rock solid.

If I don't get this fixed by monday-tuesday I will try for an exchange/RMA.

It is all just so incredibly frustrating, and I was so happy that I managed to fit the e-atx mobo in my not_supporting_it_officially CM Storm Trooper, which is full of red led fans that go SO well with the mobo color scheme and leds. It really looks bad ass and I could even keep my 4 fan push-pull H100 setup, but nooo, something had to go wrong ... ugh :puke2:

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

As I was thinking, it could be a UEFI GOP (GPU) issue. I haven't come across this myself, but I have seen it on other forums and by google etc that it is kind of 'common', in a way.

I downloaded your bios manual for a look. Try, under the boot options menu in the bios:
    • changing 'Above 4G decoding' to enabled (default is disabled)
    • ensuring 'Launch CSM ' is enabled (default is enabled)
    • 'Boot from PCI-E/PCI Expansion Device' is set to 'UEFI driver first' (default is legacy)
    • 'Boot from Network Devices' is set to ignore (default is legacy)
    • 'Boot from Storage Devices' is set to UEFI driver first (default is Legacy OpROM first).

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Well I have to use legacy first and uefi for my HDDs or it won't allow me to boot past post screen, same if I disable CSM completely. Other stuff is fine at uefi..

8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

That's weird, sure it's uefi boot? I'm pretty sure the issue he is having is GPU UEFI GOP related. These issues are possibly why gpu uefi bioses weren't common until very recently. Some CSM modules are also better than others compatibility wise. What i suggested probably won't make any difference, but you never know!

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    If it weren't uefi boot then it would boot in 5 sec using fast boot and what not.. Idk its my first uefi mobo, but then again I think its also because of DVD-rw sata hooked up on asmedia controller that needs both options enabled.

10. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Sounds like a handshake problem somewhere in the SATA controller if you're getting CSM hangups and errors. Why it happens only one the second BIOS and the first doesn't work at all? My guess is the motherboard is defective. Pretty unfortunate you had two in a row, but yeah, exchange it.

11. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I was getting this 79 error code ever since I first fired up the PC (with only 1 GPU and 1 SSD connected) and it was on BIOS 1. I flashed that one successfully, installed Windows but kept getting the 79 error. I then switched to BIOS 2 which was stock and for the next 5-6 cold boots/restarts I had no more 79 error. THEN just out of curiosity I went back to BIOS 1 in the mindset to "fix" it somehow but the PC wouldn't boot anymore from it, giving me error code 00 in 1-2 seconds start-shut down loop. Again I went back to BIOS 2 which is still stock and then the error 79 appeared here as well. It's so stupid because I have no ideea how I could get into this mess without even doing some massive OC or something. :bang:

12. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Did you try using the USB flashback feature?
    http://rog.asus.com/technology/republic-of-gamers-motherboard-innovations/usb-bios-flashback/

It will overwrite the BIOS present on the first ROM chip if you're switched to it (which could just be corrupted). You can use any BIOS for this as long as it's named correctly on the stick.

It really is likely that it's just defective though. There are a lot of complaints on this particular model on Newegg with people complaining about a host of issues. It's only got a 3 egg rating in general. Although that should normally be taken with a grain of salt, it's worth considering.

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  13. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Yeah I just tried that, and nothing, I still get the error 00. I'm now stuck with a BIOS 2 that now also gets error 79 almost every boot, this really is unacceptable. Next week I think will return this expensive turd and either get a replacement or ask for money back.

Things like this should NOT happen on a brand new board without doing ANY OC tweaking whatsoever. There is no logical reason why BIOS 1 got bricked, NONE.

14. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    guy I hear you my first board did that 00 tried to boot both bios but nothing 0802 bios both
    I got a new board and chip and since that day two months ago have not even bothered with the first set up.
    the 79 I get a few times a month but I hit the restart button 2 or 3 times and its like nothing ever happened.
    0803 bios
    I think this board is a freak but I know how to get it to boot every time so its better this then any new bios. I don't care even if the ram compatibility and oc is better because I don't have the patients to see what's up in a newer one
    you are right it should not happen at all

15. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

16. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I was away this weekend (playing with my dogs on the countryside, away from the PC stress lol), but tomorrow I will look into what my options are with the retailer I got the board from, if it's RMA/money back/different board etc. I'll have to see. If it is possible I will send everything back, mobo+cpu+ram but I doubt it... there's probably a painful road up ahead, but no way around it.

17. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I've sent the board back to the retailer and I'm awaiting an answer. If they give me the option to swap for another board, I will probably get the ASRock Fatal1ty X99X Killer (non USB 3.1) as I'm kind of fed up with ASUS and their X99 boards. The Rampage V looks GREAT on paper and is visually a pretty thing to look at but it's just too unstable and weird acting.

Good thing I got hold off a decent laptop so I can at least do everything else but gaming while waiting...

18. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    As a conclusion to this whole affair, I just got a new Rampage V from along with a new 5820K from the store and everything is working like it should. So either the mobo was DOA or there was something wrong with the cpu (which I doubt).

I haven't had time to tweak on it, but I did a small 4.1GHz (2500~MHz on RAM) OC with that EZ mode thingy which will have to do for a while until I familiarize myself with this feature rich mobo.

19. p0ppa

p0ppa Guest

GPU:
    Strix 3080 OC
    glad that you got a replacement...

I've been having issues with SLI card detection sometimes, really annoying problem where 1/2 the time the mb will not detect my second card

20. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Great, enjoy :)