Flagship Intel Skylake-S Core i7-6700K CPU gets benchmarked

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Clawedge, May 28, 2015.

1. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    If those benches are correct, it does not look like much of an improvement, unless anybody buys that CPU because of the iGPU that supposedly is better.

:3eyes:

2. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    intel trolling while AMD doing nothing, intel for many years just competing with itself.

3. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I am getting 8 core intel once "affordable" one comes around. Could use that performance in ue4 actually. So next year I guess.

While I am happy that my 3770K is going strong no need for upgrade.

4. Noufel

Noufel Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 ti xtrem
    Pathetique increase, is it a tok or a tik for intel ? Cause with broadwell came the smaller fab aka 14nm and theoricaly with skylake will come the performance increase but if those benchs are corect i don't a real performance boost .
    if only AMD was a good competitor :(

5. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Show me a Skylake-S Processor you can buy right now, and we might help you x)

6. pbvider

pbvider Guest

GPU:
    GTX
    5960X here I come!

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Old bench of carrizo fx-8800p shows 2.15x higher score in 3D Mark 2011.
    yes, it is 35W TDP chip vs 15W TDP. But if we take in consideration that carrizo is less efficient at higher clocks and cuttinf TDP to half (17W) would not half clock and performance. So AMD may actually stand a chance even against such CPU in same TDP, at least in gaming.
    Because it is clear that 3DMark 2011 score gives intel boost from CPU cores while AMD takes points through GPU.

On other hand, judging from Firestrike score, I would actually like to see real world gaming performance of that mobile i7, since it does not look that great.

And as I wrote before i7-6700k did not improve perf. per clock by 4~5% but more like 8~9%, it just does not have as high turbo clock which makes it look worse than it is on 1st look.

8. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    What a bunch of crap, my 2700k is still as fast as that in gaming, really now, 4 generations have almost past the it seems CPU's are still in the same area of performance in games. Anyway it's good for me cause i don't have to upgrade yet. I hope Zen will show promise and i can finally go back to AMD.

9. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    I was 90% sure this was going to be the case.

Oh well.. *cuddles his sandy chip*

10. Battlefieldprin

Battlefieldprin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 780TI DC 2 OC 3GB
    My 2600K does not want to part me . However , I wonder about tempurature of 14nm products . If they have good thermal characterisitcs , they could be easily overclocked.
    still , I think I will go with Skylake -E ( if it exists).

11. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Actually, I think that the speedup is pretty good, especially if we consider power requirements too. It's around 10% faster compared to the clock speed of Haswell, which is already fast.

I wonder how much it'll overclock and how hot it'll get.
    My basic idea is 6700K for gaming/rendering machine or 5820K or wait even more while using old hardware.

12. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    My 2600k is still looking good. Frankly my body isn't ready for a full on upgrade, so I'm not too bothered about yet another slight upgrade from Intel but it's clear the CPU market needs a strong AMD.

13. TheSeekingOne

TheSeekingOne Guest

GPU:
    8GB
    Doesn't the 6700 have higher turbo frequency?

14. villa_youth

villa_youth Master Guru

GPU:
    780 Ti
    Still no reason to upgrade from my 2600k then. Processor tech really seems to have hit a wall over the last few years in terms of quad core performance.

15. KillerSupra

KillerSupra Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7850 2GB@1100
    What about applications that will use the new AVX-512 instructions? It should give a bigger boost in performance than just 5-10%.

Edit: Bummer, the AVX-512 instructions are for Xeon CPU's only...

Last edited: May 28, 2015

16. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    If you have a 144hz monitor, you'd be surprised of the performance increase you'd get in some games from upgrading, despite the benchmarks to the contrary, I was.

Skylake-E will probably exist oneday but first will come Broadwell-E.

17. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Well I could upgrade, get overclocking abilities, faster IPC performance, but I would lose OS X support, 2 cores and at least 4 threads...

dat overclokin tho

18. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Maybe i will upgrade in late autum.Still rocking my i7,only thing i want now is to lower my electricity bill.

19. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    TBH, although I am always excited to see a breakthrough in computer hardware, this slow progression is soo easy on my wallet.

The only 2 reasons why I've upgraded from my trusty Core i5-750 were:

1) SATA2 was bottlenecking my SSD,
    2) The UEFI requirement for Windows 10 (although that one remains to be seen).

The same goes for my graphics card. At 1920x1200, my GTX 670 is still going strong, especially since none of the new demanding titles are my cup of tea, really. That leaves much more cash for the missus and myself to set aside for a rainy day or for nice trips to the UK - so I'm not complaining that much about the apparent lack of progress.

20. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    The truth <3 Recent title i liked was so easy on my GTX670, i sold my whole setup and built another with second-hand gtx570...

I'm somehow not surprised that first iteration of a new tech might not be over the roof, especially in side-market as personnal computer.

It's no big news that the market is driven by mobile device/laptop so this is where the money goes, and the result are there.