Mozilla Firefox, new releases, Add-Ons, tips for customisation

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by CrazY_Milojko, Oct 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
  2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
  3. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Not really... In practice it blocks ads and all kinds of analytic scripts.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

5. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    I saw that in article from lucidus post here #476, testing this since yesterday to see how it's going and will it cause any isues, in office and home rigs mostly on FF 38.01 32bit and one rig with FF 39.0 Beta 1 64bit. Guess there won't be any problems...

So for everybody here willing to try to speed up FF with Tracking Protection option enabled here is what you have to do... In navigation toolbar i.e. adress bar (to open advanced config) type: about:config ...click on: I'll be careful, I promise! ...in Search field type: privacy.trackingprotection.enabled ...and click twice on: privacy.trackingprotection.enabled ...to change Value from: false ...to: true ...and that's it.

btw, latest dev version of TabMixPlus 0.4.1.8pre.150317a1 has solved FF closing problem on two of my rigs with FF 38.0.1 32bit, now I can close FF with X in up-right corner. Interesting that other more than dozen of my office and home rigs with same FF 38.0.1 32bit, same Add-ons, same latest stable TMP 0.4.1.7 doesn't have this FF closing issue.

update about Tracking Protection...
    I've just enabled Tracking Protection in Firefox 38.0.1 on my Android tablet Adus MeMo Pad HD7 (model ME173X, 1GB RAM + 16GB storage, Quad-Core, Android 4.2.2 rooted...) and now Firefox is literarily flying! I wasn't complaining about FF speed even before this, but now with Tracking Protection enabled boost in Firefox while opening pages is just insane! This TP option for my Android Firefox is like a MSI Afterburner for graphics cards :D

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  6. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    Tracking Protection acts a adblocker as well....

so site admins wont be happy with that as well

7. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tracking protection enabled is faster even with an adblocker enabled? Ublock now has those disconnect blocking lists included as options, I think I should do some tests :p Not sure how much I will notice because I've the browser and the cache on my SSD.

How to enable it on android? I have bluhell installed for my mom as you suggested, I want to enable this too.

8. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    I'm still testing TP enabled on my desktops whenever I can, but don't have enough time these days so my main focus is to test it on older dual-core rigs with OS/FF on HDDs where it'll be much easier to notice speed improvements while loading pages with TP enabled. On other rigs with SSDs FF is already working fast even without TP enabled and it'll be hard to notice a diffence there with TP enabled or disabled.

Almost the same way like on desktop FF: in adress bar type: about:config ...then in search field (on the right side of FF) type (typing just privacy.t should be enough to show you TP opton): privacy.trackingprotection.enabled ...and then click on (right side of FF): Toggle ...and on the left side of FF value will change from false to true

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    which fine with me, less ads the better, now if only ABP would dev would reduce the footprint speed it up.

Ublock but it officially supported like abp as far as i can tell

I already use ABP cause the ads on webpage are ridiculous at this point to where the slow the damn paged down greatly. and i have 120/40mbit FF might be installed on my SSD but it profiles is located on my HDD, along with most other profiles and temp dir.

Unless they adaptive less is more thinking i could careless what they like, then there is the whole fact malware can come threw ads these days. I dont gon on the web with out abp period end of story.

Anyway i enabled this I dont see much if any speed up do to use abp, but and all the sites i go to seem to work just fine too

10. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I tried it on her phone and performance-wise, it is great! Better than bluhell on her device. If both the tracking protection and bluhell are active, it slowed down considerably. I have to use it for a while to see how much it actually blocks though.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    With out ABP it does rather decent job of blocking ads too

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    update
    Tracking Protection does break Gamespots website, it image viewer no longer pops up

13. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Yep, solution is either to disable (value: false) Tracking Protection completely via: about:config -> privacy.trackingprotection.enabled ...or to disable TP just on Gamespot site: left mouse click on shield icon on the left side of navigation/adress bar and clicck: Option ...and then choose: Disable protection for this site

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yah i notice though there seems to be some bug with it the red dot that shows when it enabled and block, some times dont show

15. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I visited GS to check how it loads for me and to my surprise I can't click anything at all even with ublock disabled! I have to right click -> open in new tab every link. lol .. so weird. Maybe my hosts file affects it, I won't budge from that for any site though.

All my addons updated and now have the -signed suffix, all except TMP.

16. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Middle mouse button click the links, that opens them in a new tab too (For me and FF at least)

17. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Interesting... As tsunami231 said yesterday with TP enabled left mouse click on Images option doesn't work anymore, but middle mouse button works and Images are opening in new tab. Although I'm oftenly using middle mouse button while browsing with FF to open links in new tab haven't tried that yesterday on Gamespot/Images.

Thanks for reminding me on mid mouse button Extraordinary :)

18. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    :)

Maybe the tracking protection is blocking popups, would normal left click would normally open the link in a popup?

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    dont know but Gamespot, is one of those site i had massive issue with do to ABP, left clicking links and links not work etc etc, gamespot is general not friendly to people use such ad block stuff,

TP being able and not open picutre is probably a similar issue to abp stoping links from opening too.

20. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Well if it helps, I had the same issue with GS on both FF and Opera. Not really sure what's going on.

edit: anyone having difficulty downloading attachments from outlook.com?

Last edited: May 30, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.