AMD Catalyst 15.5 BETA (14.502.1014.1001 May 14)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, May 19, 2015.

Tags:
  1. mortenv

mortenv Member

GPU:
    XFX R9 295x2 / 8 GB plz
    Problem being with the temperature on the 295x2 is that once it reaches 74c -75c on one of the gpus (GPU2 in my case) will start fluctuate on the core and mem clock depending on the level of heat. With good airflow and 100% utilization on both cores (Assetto corsa 4k 4xAA) it will run 1080mhz 1580mhz +40mv and +40 powerlevel for hours.

2. mortenv

mortenv Member

GPU:
    XFX R9 295x2 / 8 GB plz
    I don't know. In CCC I have activated "Enable AMD Crossfirex for applications that have no associated application profile" Everything is default there.

In Assetto Corsa I'm running 4k res downsampled to 1080p with 4x AA and all sliders maxed. 110fps. Both cores are being utilized 100%. One map has bugged global lightning (screen fades to white)

In Project cars both GPUs are being utilized 100% with gpu2 fluctuating 5% on 4k and everything maxed. ds9x, max fxaa, particles low. Everything works except for in-cockpit shadows.

TW3 a bit high frametimes, occasional stuttering. Foiliage and shadows flickers for a bit sometimes. GPUs 50-60% loaded.

3. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    WC loop of 295X2 is a joke and only performs well in cold countries/cold air conditioned rooms.

4. mortenv

mortenv Member

GPU:
    XFX R9 295x2 / 8 GB plz
    Cold enough here even in summer. Plays BF4 ultra with Mantle on 1080p 150% res scaling all night long in 28c ambient room temperature no stuttering. Think I can throw away my space heater though for the winter.

5. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    What are you using to downsample from 4K?

Project CARS and The Witcher 3 have SO HORRIBLE (crossfire) driver support that AMD announced a specific new driver (15.5) to solve this game problems...

6. mortenv

mortenv Member

GPU:
    XFX R9 295x2 / 8 GB plz
    Downsampling seems to work although I cannot verify without having a 4k display. Debug info in BF4 says 3200x2160. UI is getting really small though on some games. I just "Enabled GPU upscaling" and "enable virtual super resolution" in "My digital flatpanel-Scaling Options."

I agree Project cars and tw3 is underperforming paired with crossfire, but atleast pcars hotlapping does satisfactory fps >60fps and low stable frametimes. In tw3 its dependent on scenery but I'm not that worried. A little bit clunky sometimes, but its not that immersion breaking. Makes me want to have a break earlier than smoother games, only played 13hrs so far.

7. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    You have no idea what downsampling means if you think that you need a 4K monitor to downsample from 4K.

:)

Your expectations about crossfire performance are very low if you are happy with Project CARS and The Withcher 3 gaming experience with crossfire enabled.

AMD REALLY need more customers like you to be able to forgot about future drivers updates.

8. mortenv

mortenv Member

GPU:
    XFX R9 295x2 / 8 GB plz

I'm not sure if a see a difference in textures in 3200x2160 "downsampled" to 1080p display and I can't realize proper fully CFX utilization, It seemed to make a difference in BF4 with downsampling/res scaling in that MSAA was not needed anymore. I have my 60hz set to 75hz, and plan to upgrade display soon, possibly 3x Eyefinity setup. 1440p and more hz/whatever planned, but displays are so expensive. improved performance of the card is needed, but its something that doesn't bug me YET. A bit selfish there as long as gpus are being loaded and frames are good I'm not heartbroken yet.

9. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    There is no 4K with VSR ("enable Virtual Super Resolution") not even 3200x2160.

The max single and crossfired VSR resolution in 295X2 (or any AMD GPU but 285) is 3200x1800 using official drivers

No matter what your game said about.

It's possible to have 4K VSR in single GPU mode using modded drivers but it's not possible to properly play using crossfire, HUGE right side of the screen flickering.

10. mortenv

mortenv Member

GPU:
    XFX R9 295x2 / 8 GB plz
    uhh excuse my ignorance but I was using the 4k term as 3200x1800 (long time since I played bf4 so I missed on the actual res), which is not correct apparently. Screenshots from running 3200x1800 setting in game on 1080p monitor gives a picture with dimensions of 3200x1800 and zooming in, the difference is clear as night and day.

11. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    4K AKA 2160p is an image of 3840x2160 pixels, it has 4 times the pixels of an 2K AKA 1080p image (1920x1080).

Downsampling is not a zoom, you can read a simple explanation about what downsampling is here:

http://www.tested.com/tech/pcs/454383-aliasing-be-gone-how-downsample-pc-games/

The procedures described to downsample changed (mainly with Nvidia DSR and AMD VSR) but the definition remains equal.

12. rafaelluik

rafaelluik Active Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 280
    All of the games you mentioned are Gameworks titles or borrow tech from it! Coincidence??
    What if that makes it harder for AMD to do Crossfire profiles? Do you consider this possibility (which is not a very far-fetched guess IMO)?

13. Glasofruix

Glasofruix Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980
    Any news about an official release?

14. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Nothing!

15. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I don't believe that at all. SLI works fairly well with The Witcher 3, crossfire works great with 1x1 but it flickers. The scaling is there, it performs good too.
    AMD just seem to not care about current users. They're probably focusing on R3xx drivers and their buggy Windows 10 drivers.

16. gatygun

gatygun Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 290 tri-x 4GB
    Marketing will always tell you that something is great, when in reality it's far from it. It happens everywhere. Never trust PR nonsense, if you do you only got yourself with it.

295x2 is a crossfire card, and will perform like it one.

2 years in tech land is a lot specially when 2 years ago the ps4 wasn't even out and we where still stuck with ps3/xbox360 ports. That amd doesn't give a lot about supporting newer features like that isn't mind boggling. They added vsr on there 290 series so it actually is usable on newer games. as there other 200 cards are just simple rebrands of older cards which got released like what in 2011? that's 4 years ago. It's like saying that nvidia is **** because the 580 isn't supporting shadow play or has **** performance with hair works. while shadow play / hairworks wasn't even a thing when it launched.

Stop overclocking 2 gpu's on 1 card, it's asking for trouble. Wan't to overclock you always are better of with 2 separate cards with separate water cooling.

It's by far the worst development in gpu history that company's allow stuff like nvidia workshop stuff to be pushed forwards in there games that alienate half of pc market.

I see it as a trojan horse really, i blame company's like cdpr more for allowing this **** to enter there software.

17. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    So everyone running crossfire should just shut up and deal with the lack of support because we knew what we bought into? Are you serious?

18. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Interesting, but I didn't seem to be able to find which drivers they were using for each card, so we don't know how things actually are. Maybe the best would have been to use the launch drivers, or the first driver set supporting Windows 8.1 for each of them. They also seem to be using the vanilla 7970.

Both of these games were running truly fine on launch actually. (I'm talking single GPU here). If you put hairworks to "off" in the Witcher, you get a great looking open world game that runs and looks really good.

The deeper pockets of NVIDIA are a bit of a myth. They recently had some blunders as they basically abandoned they phone modem business that they have bought, and they see their Apple as well as all of their console contracts going away. AMD also has apparently heavily invested in Zen and HBM after GCN, so we'll see. NVIDIA surely seem like they pour more money on their driver team, but they've been doing that whenever they felt they were threatened hardware-wise (now they are not, but I bet that they have numbers/estimations on the newer AMD hardware/performance under Windows 10 that we don't.

That is very true, but it is actually a testament on how much closer NVIDIA tries to work with developers.

What most people won't understand is that sli/crossfire are basically fringe cases for developers. I something breaks/makes SLI harder but makes the engine better and the tools easier to develop, then that change will go in. The only way for that to stop is DX12, where the developers themselves are going to be responsible for implementing it. In those cases though, they will have to program for the NUMBER of GPUs available. Meaning that for 3 GPUs for example, you will only to be able to use two if the developers have programmed for two.
    The problem is (for both companies) that they try to push this whole multi-monitor/4k/multigpu thing, while THEY KNOW that the whole environment around (games, the API) are COMPLETELY unfriendly to it. I honestly feel sorry for people with multigpu, and they have every right to be mad.

I downsample quite a lot of games and they work just fine thank you.

All of us in here tend to forget the real world. At this point only one of my friends has a better system than I do, and he has a 290x. Most normal people don't give a **** about 4k and multimonitor, whoever does (although they are the most valuable customers per capita for companies) is on the fringe. Us in here are on the fringe. The companies only care because we make a lot of noise.

All of the profiles you described have problems :/

19. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    The Witcher 3 doesn't run good here on a single GPU, just saying :)

20. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio