AMD Radeon R9 390, R9 380, R9 370 and R9 360 Series Rebrands

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 26, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. boerenlater

boerenlater Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 610 silent
    Rebrand of a rebrand? What a dissappointment.

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Starting to see why AMD is predicted to go bankrupt by 2020

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Hilbert you don't foresee anyway for AMD to get 8GB of HBM on a card? And it's definitely confirmed that AMD is using Gen 1 HBM for the Fiji based card? It seems really weird to me that AMD would release 4GB for a card they are aiming at 4K, when there are already games surpassing that.

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Not possible with gen 1 .. HBM V1 is max four stacks each with a max of four 256GB layers, thus 4GB in total - AMD resistantly confirmed that in recent conference call with me. And if you look at the ASUS SKU: ASUS R9390X-DC2-8GD5

You'll see 8GD5 at the end, that is short for 8GB GDDR5, thus not HBA and thus not Fiji. 390 = Hawaii, I have no doubt.

6. elpsychodiablo

elpsychodiablo Master Guru

GPU:
    Retina Z2 + Vlab Motion
    I want to buy a Radeon Card so much and wait some months just for this rebrands lol

So Maxwell here i come,...

7. shymi

shymi Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070
    Alas, frying eggs on red GPUs will continue :D

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Ah, yeah. Lame. Was really hoping for 8GB HBM. Thanks for confirming.

9. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    He's just posting a report of a report, reported by someone else. How would he know for sure?

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Uh because Hilbert is in constant contact with these companies. Probably has more insight behind the scenes then some random blogger. In his post he says that it's basically confirmed via his phonecall with them. So based on that I figured he'd know more then some random report, which is why I asked.

11. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    So its a 4gb fiji that is going to go up against a 6gb 980ti and 12gb Titan X? Plus all those rebrands?

12. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    I don't, rebranding the gpu is a cheap way of doing things, yeah the end product is more expensive to manufacturer and have to be sold for less (and takes more power to run) but they loose practically no moneys on new gpu architecture design which is most expensive, what they did instead of redesigning the gpu is: redesigning the VRAM, if they hold a patent for HBM - AMD is going to win in a very short time, if nvidia wont think it through of course.

13. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Why would I buy a 2xx series if I already have the same 7xxx series

Then why would I buy the 3xx series if I already have the 7xxx series which is also the 2xx series they just rebranded to the 3xx series?

I wouldn't

But if I had a 7xxx series and the 2xx series was a totally new and upgraded card, I'd upgrade, and then again if the 3xx series was completely new and upgraded than the 2xx series

No reason to keep buying the same card over and over just because it's been given a lick of paint

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    That's what it sounds like and it makes no sense to me at all. They are clearly selling/advertising HBM as like a 4K machine and yet there are games out now that exceed 4GB @ 4K, let alone with AA on and whatnot or people who are doing multi-monitor.

So either AMD is pulling a reverse-970 (telling marketing people it's 4GB, but it's going to actually be more (which would be an awesome ad/joke lol)) or the Fiji based card is going to be meh, which is a shame because I was considering buying one.

15. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    Have to agree with this. I mean I don't see my upgrading my 7970 any time soon as it's still playing everything just fine so far. My upgrade choices are a rebadged Hawaii or the full fat Fiji..

16. Adil0n

Adil0n Guest

GPU:
    POV GTX 470 1Gb
    But isn't the point of HBM to be more power efficient and also scalable? (correct me if I'm wrong)

We haven't seen this in action, maybe it can move it as fast as an 8gb GPU or even faster... or maybe we'll just see a "sneak peak" of how this new tech can improve the gpu's to come

17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    What if they put in some new compression engine?
    Then again while games may pre-load textures/data into vram as it is free, it does not mean that even if 8GB of vram is filled you need 4GB per frame.
    In most cases one needs maybe 1.5GB of data per frame.

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The whole point is that it's lower power and faster. But if a game using more then 4GB, it's going to cache the difference to system memory which causes massive performance hitching. HBM isn't going to do anything to counter that. The textures still need to sit somewhere and they only have 4GB of space to do that, regardless of the speed.

For the vast majority of people it's irrelevant, because they won't be gaming at 4K or hit the 4GB limit. But part of the whole point of HBM is the possible performance increase you get from being in situations where you're bottlenecked by memory performance, which is higher resolutions.

PC Perspective has this blurb in their article:

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Genera...Memory-HBM-Architecture-AMD-Plans-Future-GPUs

19. undeadpolice

undeadpolice Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX980 K|NGP|N (SLI)
    I hope this re-branding are just rumors or at least have a huge improvement, competition is important for comsumers, I don't want to spend 4000 bucks on a 5 year old titan nvidia card.

20. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Newer versions of silicon = lower power...