gta 5 crossfire does not work properrly!!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by fullban, Apr 14, 2015.

1. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    It doesn't do that for most modern games. The last game I actually used it and it worked was Homeworld Remastered, which is based on the OpenGL Homeworld 2 engine anyways.

2. GhostriderJnr

GhostriderJnr Guest

GPU:
    AMD Fury X 4GB
    I have had a response from AMD tech support on 18/05/2015 regarding crossfire with HD 7950's and they said:
    "This is a known issue and AMD is working closely with Rockstar to investigate the issue. There will be a patch released either by Rockstar or by us soon"
    I haven't had a response from Rockstar tech support yet!
    For those that have no issue and are blaming our setup or installation then at least this confirms that there is a problem that's out of our control.
    I have wasted many hours trying to resolve this issue and am glad they acknowledge there's a problem.
    Guess we just have to wait for full Crossfire support:bang:

3. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    LOl AMD has been saying that a lot lately. Check how long Farcry took to get where it's now and still not 100%. Soi will have to wait and see.

4. GhostriderJnr

GhostriderJnr Guest

GPU:
    AMD Fury X 4GB
    Rockstar response

This is the response I got from Rockstar. Dosn't make a lot of sense to me.

"We reviewed the information which you sent us, we request you to launch the game using one graphic card later once the game activate the other graphic card using the device manager setting, it will fix this issue.

Also, we see that you have not yet updated the bios drivers, we request you to update the bios drivers to the latest version."

I have tried:
    -Playing GTA 5 with crossfire disabled in catalyst. Quit out. Enable Crossfire. Play again. = Still Crap (obvious)
    -Playing GTA 5 with crossfire disabled in catalyst. ALT+TAB out. Enable Crossfire. = Game Crashes instantly
    -Deleting the settings in the GTA 5 folder in my documents so that the game runs the checks that it does when you first install then tested with disabled then enabled. No difference.

I am using 15.4 Beta Drivers, my motherboard Bios is the latest available and my graphics cards are V2's that look to have the latest Bios I could find also.
    I have no idea what they are referring to in "bios drivers"!

5. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Sounds like a person in India who didn't even understands what you asked about. Had a same run with Logitech support recently, spent three weeks to answer a simple question about a software setting, I had to pester their Twitter to get a reply.

6. GhostriderJnr

GhostriderJnr Guest

GPU:
    AMD Fury X 4GB
    Why did I go crossfire again!

I had crossfire for a couple years up until 2013 and got sick of the issues so went to the one HD 7950.
    Now instead of upgrading my card I thought "Hey why not get another HD7950 and crossfire it? Im sure by now all the bugs are worked out and all major games would support it without to much hassle"
    Obviously not:bang: I should have researched more!
    This is the second response from Rockstar after I asked them to clarify what they said from my earlier post.

"We request you to launch the game using one AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series graphic card later once the game activate the other graphic card using the device manager setting, it will fix this issue. We request you to update the motherboard BIOS"

Wow! Brilliant! That's some great tech help!
    First thing I did with GTA 5 was run the game with one card. Then try it with two!
    As far as my bios goes, I don't know where they are looking but my bios is the most recent from the Asus website from 2012.

I am waiting for them to tell me to reinstall the whole game! That's about 48hrs of downloading where I am located:cry:
    Obviously they are just shifting the blame hoping I leave them alone! Not a chance:)

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  7. XWolfGhost

XWolfGhost Member

GPU:
    MSI 290x 4GB x2
    I haven't tested it in windows 7 yet but these drivers are giving me great performance in windows 10.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=399099

90% usage on two 290Xs and it fixes the stuttering to what I feel is a tolerable amount. Only a few small hitches every once in a while, instead of every 5 seconds, while driving or flying around.

8. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    This drivers improves the GPU performance but this doesn't solve the GPU usage by itself: it's also mandatory to turn off or severely lower ALL in-game advanced graphic settings to have success...

9. XWolfGhost

XWolfGhost Member

GPU:
    MSI 290x 4GB x2
    Yeah, I thought I had them at around 50% when I tested earlier (settings get reset to default when I swap OSs). It still runs like garbage when I turn any of them on, not as bad as with W7 though.

10. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    I played at 1440p, every option cranked even the advanced stuff. Used Radeon pro for aa and vsync. Capped frames at 60fps. Was very smooth, occasionally dipped into the 40's in the desert though. Just finished it tonight, great game.

11. GhostriderJnr

GhostriderJnr Guest

GPU:
    AMD Fury X 4GB
    No sure if this is worth mentioning but when I have Crossfire enabled everything is slower to load in GTA 5. Including Menu screen, Mobile Phone, Map etc. Single GPU and everything loads almost instantly.

12. Gabkicks

Gabkicks Member

GPU:
    r9 290 Tri-x OC Crossfire
    I am running 2 r9 290's with the 15.5 betas that are from May 14th. Crossfire performance is terrible. I am going back to single card :( fps is lower in menus, and i am getting random jutter/stutter.

13. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The grass distance is the real killer apparently, it has the same behavior with NVIDIA sli too.

Have you both tried the 1023.3 driver posted here?

14. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Do you mean grass detail level?

15. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Yes, that. It's the same for the Witcher and I got them confused :p

They both do the same thing.

16. GhostriderJnr

GhostriderJnr Guest

GPU:
    AMD Fury X 4GB
    Do this only if you feel confident and are willing to read up on what you are doing. It is simple enough though.

Below is what I have found that has improved things for me with 2 x HD 7950 cards in crossfire and single GPU and MAY help others. This improved my GPU performance in general.
    Smoother performance/no anomalies/no structures suddenly appearing.
    I still have some stutter in Crossfire with GTA 5 and I am still using 15.4 Beta but this was worth it for me for single GPU use as well.
    This fixed things for me as in the past I used catalyst overdrive to adjust fan settings etc. This seems to cause issues.

-Set everything to default in Catalyst in Performance and Gaming settings
    -Delete any custom profiles for GTA 5 you have created(if any)
    -Disable all AMD Overdrive options.
    -ONLY start and use Catalyst to enable or disable crossfire then restart PC with it disabled in start up
    -If you want to monitor your GPU use GPU-Z or similar

Disable Catalyst in startup in Task Manager and restart PC.
    I then used a Bios editor called VBE7 to make any changes I wanted done to the GPU through the Bios. Fans (extremely useful), overclocking etc. Google VBE7 - vBIOS Editor for Radeon HD 7000 series cards. You will then need to flash your GPU Bios, go to the card manufacturers website or search with Google for the tools.
    Your GPU should have two Bios's that you can switch between, make sure you find your Bios switch on your GPU so you have a backup if something goes wrong and you have it on the one that is flashable.
    I have found that making the changes at a bios level has made the system run so much smoother and improve performance and temps.
    The bios editor allows you to look at multiple Bios's at once by starting the program as many times as you like so you can compare.
    I just never had any luck having software adjust GPU settings.
    I hope this helps others:) Once again, use at your own risk!

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  17. GhostriderJnr

GhostriderJnr Guest

GPU:
    AMD Fury X 4GB
    I would also encourage anyone that reads this to send a complaint to both AMD and Rockstar Support. Otherwise this will never get fixed!

18. GhostriderJnr

GhostriderJnr Guest

GPU:
    AMD Fury X 4GB
    Just to add to the confusion GTA 5 Online has better FPS and almost no stutter but when I switch back to Single Player the stutter returns????

Edit- I just went into the game folder and deleted GTA5 and GTAVLauncher applications then double clicked PlayGTAV and the game updated and it seems as though I now have almost no stutter!

Can some one that is having issues test this to see if it works for them and report back?

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  19. arsenic

arsenic Guest

GPU:
    asus r9 290
    Well I'm Glad you guys are having the same issue
    I currently have:
    FX-8350
    Two Asus R9 290's
    16 gigs of ram
    Kingston 250gb SSD

I've tried everything EyeFinity crossfire or crossfire one screen gets Terrible FPS around 30 fps. You can tell its going to crap out when the rockstar splash screen loads like it came from MS-DOS.

Although putting this back into a single screen with crossfire disabled I get "good" FPS around 50-80 on Very high settings with mostly a few dips. Still could be more optimized IMO

Everything I have is up to date. I added the GTA V exe as a profile and modified the settings from another post which has not helped at all with cross fire, but single screen a tad

I have a ticket open with AMD currently and when I get home from work Ill be opening one to Rockstar.

This is somewhat frustrating knowing I get 70 FPS in battlefield using crossfire with mantle on all 3 screens. Settings are on medium I think for that.

To be honest I could care less if If I use three screens I just want to play this smooth on one screen.

20. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I'm not glad you have issues with this game.

I would prefer it working well for all CFX users. :)

What is working for me (2x290X) is all graphic settings maxed and all advanced settings turned off.

90-120 FPS at 1080p 90-99 gpu usage on both.

I'm sure that i can tune this to get find a sweet spot of 60 FPS trying some advanced graphic settings (like distance) but this is my starting GTA V working setup.