Nvidia Confirms Shield Pro-console with 500GB

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 21, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    An Nvidia employee has confirmed a Pro edition of Nvidia's streaming Shield Console, to be released in May close to Computex. The console will come with Android TV in the Pro as a normal version wit...

Nvidia Confirms Shield Pro-console with 500GB

2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I'm surprised to see Nvidia use Android TV and not just a normal release...

If Nvidia gets more titles ported over to ARM, that would be awesome. The one game I play all the time is TF2 so that would be amazing to get TF2 and Steamworks ported over!

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  3. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Will I be able to install Kodi on this?

4. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I believe you can side load APK's on Android TV via ADB, so yes you can.

5. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Yes you will. That is the whole reason I am interested in this. Currently I'm using an Ouya which is plenty powerful for video watching, but this looks better and is probably quieter too. I have no need for the 500GB version but it's nice they are releasing one.

6. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    Oh the PRO model comes out - nobody is going to buy one anyway in my country.

7. Adil0n

Adil0n Guest

GPU:
    POV GTX 470 1Gb
    Can't beat Kodi on a Raspberry PI :eyes:

8. elpsychodiablo

elpsychodiablo Master Guru

GPU:
    Retina Z2 + Vlab Motion
    x86based with SteamOS i would buy it, they put a lot of work in this Valve Plattform.

For Android games i could use Mobile from everywhere more comfortable and Movies i can use PI² or Intel Nuc or other cheap APUs with better 4k experience on Kodi.

So why i need Shield?

9. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    it is more easy right now for porting from and to ARM device, there is a lot of conversion API and tool aviable nowaday, that doesn't exist 2 year ago.

the success story of android help it.

10. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Every Android box I've tried easily beats Kodi on the Pi. The Pi is a cheap alternative that while yes it does run Kodi, it doesn't run it well.

11. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    500GB? Can sombody please tell me what I'd need 500GB for? Doesn't it work like a pure receiver device, like streaming to a table? Or am I just getting the wrong idea?

12. Adil0n

Adil0n Guest

GPU:
    POV GTX 470 1Gb
    If you have one, and are interested on trying it, you should look at OpenELEC, it's a distro that only runs Kodi and in their latests versions it's running incredibly good even with the first models. And BTW it's not only a cheap alternative, it's small enough for the wife not to complain about "another gizmo" :nerd:

13. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Stream from your PC, stream from GRID, and play games are the gaming purposes. But I think it's good to have something like this for storage. Great for multimedia purposes(video, audio, pictures). Lower powered compared to other PC's easily. Even more some of the games they are porting such as Crysis 3 already takes a lot of space on a PC, so imagine what it'll take on this guy.

14. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Current teevee's on the market that can do this already are two a penny.

I can see here in the UK (probably the same everywhere else in the world) you can get a UHD smart teevee that takes a USB 'drive and has a GUI that lets you record teevee directly to the 'stick, or, to any networked device via wifi for £500.

Why anyone would buy one these 'boxes is beyond me - just buy a new teevee and get everything.

The games these things run are old, old, old.

15. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    My smart TV can stream from my NAS but the layout is ugly and it takes forever to scroll through the list of 10 movies it can display on screen at a time. When you have a library of 1,500 videos, that takes quite a while.

As for your games comment, the whole point of this device is to use Nvidia's new streaming service. Last I checked Crysis3 and the new Borderlands game weren't exactly old.

I've tried it on the original Pi model B. It definitely ran better than the full blown Kodi but its still laggy. I bought a Pi2 recently but haven't gotten around to installing anything on it yet.

16. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    But can it play Crysis? The Shield console can play Crysis 3.

Nvidia is really pushing their gpu's in their SoC plans. There's also a few other titles that are pretty awesome looking on Android and run on Tegra, there's even a Doom 3 port with full sikkmod and wulfen texture support that runs great on current SoC's.

You also cannot record anything with a smart TV on its own, or save files on it. It's a different market.

Now one thing where this may make or break the console is price. I got my alienware Alpha for $450, and because it's x86 Windows based I can do a lot more with it than I can an ARM based setup, and still keep low power usage.

17. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Cryusis is not good enough or new enough to spend this kind of money on, when you can get a real console or a smart teevee - there is no niche for this product.

18. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    It all depends on the cost of the console.

Say the 500gb console is $200, that undercuts the Xbox One and PS4 with a big difference in price.

Smart TV's aren't always smooth, or reliable, and services are always stopped and not supported for Smart TV's very quickly.

But Crysis 3 is still a demanding title, and even more so on an ARM platform.

19. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Because you think it has no purpose doesn't mean others think the same. I for one will be buying one. I don't care about the 500GB version, mine will be used for DVD/Blu-Ray streaming with Kodi, and Nvidia GameStream to my TV.

20. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    To each their own, but I don't think, I believe that mass market consumption will buy a teevee with all of the media streaming stuff built-in and just use a console for new games, and not buy this for old games.

The competition is better, is what I'm saying. Not good enough or exclusive enough to be a games console and not better that a teevee for media streaming.

It's an unnecessary waste.