The Witcher 3 driver

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by oGow89, May 11, 2015.

1. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I'm not saying the effects are causing the issue by themselves but the entire idea behind GameWorks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZGV5z8YFM8&feature=youtu.be

I can't remember at what time they start talking about GameWorks but it's a good watch.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    nV states at one of their videos about flex, that it will be GPU accelerated. I really wonder if that is going to be CUDA based or OpenCL/DirectCompute.

3. Enixmage

Enixmage Guest

GPU:
    290 4Gb
    Figured I'd throw my 2c in here

You guys realize the fix is to turn tessellation down from 64x to 8x right.
    this can make some games look pretty bad and in the witchers case it is noticeable in game though not horrid like others would be.

Amd optimized setting is 64x if I'm not mistaken. I assume it's a placeholder for if they change it in profile later. Now I assume they do this cause if a game comes out with heavy tessellation granted to would run worse by default (see crysis 2), but it wouldn't look like garbage. Their kinda in a no win in this front.
    Nvidia forces this and it makes x game run like crap or look like crap.

64x tessellation is plenty for any modern game unless your tessellation each hair and adding 8x msaa to each strand....This is just to make AMD look bad and it's insane that it's working. Imo Nvidia users should be PISSED their getting less performance so their cards manufacture can tell off another company. I'm not a AMD fan boy by any means, I say let AMD and Nvidia and go at it but in the course of that "war" you can't hurt your consumers. That's just wrong on so many levels.

Now as far as the multi gpu setup, yeah there's not a good excuse I've heard. If it's the actual case that Nvidia was blocking development on whatever restricted them from making drivers on a AAA game you'd better believe that would be front page on AMD's site. Pc gamer , Ign everyone would eat that with a spoon. Buncha click bait articles from here to tomorrow Nvidia cock blocks AMD drivers ect.

Them not having the staff sounds like a decent theory, but hell what company would ever say that, sides we just don't know.I mean they are apparently working on it now so it's wait and see.No defense until we hear something and if AMD is in the wrong I doubt we'd hear anything either or on that front.

Personally what I think is these games are made for consoles first. Consoles of course don't have multi gpu's in them. Dev's and AMD to a large extent resources go into making that happen. Now cut to PC, Multi Gpu, Nvidia throwing gameworks on top of it..yeah could be a mess for code designed for a single amd gpu in the first place. I'm just guessing here but they probably figured they could sort it out in X amount of time and that didn't happen.
    Not the best theory for conspiracies, but I figure it's logical.

4. Vbs

Vbs Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 970, 1506/7806
    Thanks for the link, it's a good watch. :)

Unfortunately I don't agree with his view. Personally, it's like saying "lets ban knives, because knives can be used to kill people". I'm really against the whole idea of "if I can't have it, then nobody can!". This kills progress.

GameWorks is nVidia pushing graphics fidelity, just the same as Mantle was AMD pushing graphics performance.

It's up to the game devs to implement whatever they wish, and we should welcome all progress made that pushes us to the goal of better games in the end. Sooner or later, everyone benefits from that, as even proprietary techs that have a broad appeal will eventually evolve, standardize and be supported by everyone, like AA and AF, for example.

5. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Would you accept GameWorks games if it meant NVIDIA block AMD from working with the game developers or making driver progress that they could usually make with a game that's not contracted with NVIDIA/GameWorks?
    I understand what NVIDIA are doing, all the effects and physics, yeah they're cool and fun but they're usually locked down to NVIDIA or perform badly on any other hardware. AMD do the opposite. They make things and release them (TressFX, FreeSync and Mantle eventually).

The effects aren't what I'm getting at here as HairWorks and their AO works with our hardware, might be poor compared, but they do work. It's just I can't think of a recent GameWorks game that performed good with AMD hardware on release.
    Dying Light, FarCry3/4, Batman's and the AA problems... AC:Unity, The Witcher 3, Project CARS. All these ran/run badly with AMD hardware and some still do. Dying Light has only just recently had a crossfire fix (5 months after release)...

6. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
  7. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
  8. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    Crossfire users have had to wait months, sometimes 4 months for profiles for MAJOR AAA titles in 2015. And then when we finally do get them we get this crap:

"Distant objects may flicker in Dying Light when AA is enabled in AMD Crossfire mode. As a workaround, users may disable AMD Crossfire mode if this issue is impacting their game experience"

"Flickering is sometimes observed on a small number of surfaces in Mortal Combat X when using AMD Crossfire. As a work around, users may disable AMD Crossfire mode if this issue is impacting their game experience."

etc..

That's like saying "here guys, have this crossfire profile it's broke though, as a fix for it, turn off crossfire." wth lol.

Don't even get me started on CFX from AMD this year, it has been abysmal. There is a point where AMD needs to take responsibility for their own actions, and not play the blame game.

They have been ready for exactly two AAA games with semi-decent CFX profiles since October of 2014:GTAV and BF:H. That is it

you guys act like the witcher 3 is the first time AMD dropped the ball recently:

Farcry 4 was released when? (NOVEMBER 2014) got a profile when? (MAR 2015) Dying Light ? , etc... you can pretty much guarantee any AAA game will not have support for CFX when you own AMD- and you will more than likely wait months for it.

9. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I think I need to stop ranting about GameWorks though it's getting exhausting :)

Crossfire is temperamental but The Witcher 3 doesn't run good here without it either.

10. Shadowxaero

Shadowxaero Guest

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4090 Amp
    This is definitely not a fix, but this custom profile gives and AVG of 35 frames on a mix of high and ultra with hairworks on geralt only. My 7850 is OC to 1150/1450 however.

[​IMG]

It isn't xfire but it is something lol.

I am forcing vsync through Rivatune as well. No in game vsync.

11. Vbs

Vbs Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 970, 1506/7806
    I've never liked it, but I've already accepted "console exclusives" doing this kind of stuff for the last decade. The onus is on the developer's hands and no one else.

AMD has to step up their game. They can't play the "GPU game" with a hand of 3 cards when nVidia is playing with 10. It's their responsibility to fiercely innovate on the software front too, so that their customers get the support they deserve.

Why doesn't TW3 support TrueAudio, for example?

Why was TressFX only proposed when HairWorks didn't properly work on AMD GPUs (no surprise there), two months before RTM, when the game is already feature complete and devs are only focused on polishing bugs? :3eyes:

12. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    vbs does any game support true audio?

13. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    It's up to AMD now to get these drivers out.

14. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Let's take a look at the current AMD flagship:

295X2 a multi-card.

Imagine you buy this expensive card to play at 4K with a 4K Freesync monitor.

Can we have the best experience from this flagship with AMD last added OWN features: VSR and Freesync?

- It doesn't support crossfire Freesync so you need to DISABLE crossfire to use it with a 4K Freesync monitor

- It doesn't support VSR 4K (single or crossfire) so you can't use this downsampling solution for games.

If you want to use 4K with single you need modded drivers!

To be able to do this two things with an AMD GPU you MUST buy the "best" AMD can offer us now: a couple of 285 GPUs the only GPU FULLY supported by AMD for their OWN features...and wait without ETA for the Freesync crossfire support with a lot of "patience" and "faith"!

AMD can't blame Nvidia for this...

The same applies to a 290X crossfire.

15. onemoar

onemoar Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060SC @2250/4550
    multi-gpu setups are a terrible terrible idea I have been telling people that for ages
    and you wanna know why VSR doesn't work in crossfire
    simple AFR > no scaling > no vsr
    Todo scaling with AFR you would need to maintain two separate scaling buffers one for each frame rendered by each gpu
    never gonna happen (at least not without a substantial rewrite)
    VSR is for squeezing a little bit more detail out of a 1080p monitor where you have some GPU power to spare
    and anything short of a 290 is not gonna handle 4K anyway so no point in having it hell even 1440P pushes my 7970 to its outerlimits

16. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    If scaling wasn't possible with crossfire we wouldn't have an image when running a game with it enabled.

17. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    4K VSR works with crossfire in a 285 in single GPU and in crossfire with oficial drivers.

4K VSR works for 290(X) with modded drivers in single GPU.

18. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    285 has the Tiger Team scaler.

19. maxstep

maxstep Guest

GPU:
    4090 + LG OLED 65
    I am so incredibly tired of these arguments.
    Multi-gpu setups are a necessity for people with multiple screens.
    Or even for a 2560x1600 panel.
    Single 290x OCed (AMD's top of the line flagship) gives ~40 frames on a single 2560x1600 panel in half of 2015 AAA titles,
    and in quite a few AAA titles from 2014-2013, if you crank everything up.
    Multi-gpu setups are a requirement, prerequisite, necessity for people running high-res and/or immersive eyefinity setups.

20. mtdew332

mtdew332 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390x
    I'm done blaming Nvidia, they have nothing to do with AMDs poor support for its own customers.

How come nobody ever asks why AMD didn't have a team there during TW3 development also, implementing a TressFX version of TW3 for AMD customers?

You'd swear AMD just buys a copy of the game upon release, then frantically tries to fix it.

Its not like game releases aren't announced yrs ahead of time and they don't know they're coming.
    But AMD acts like game releases just pop up out of nowhere and AFTER RELEASE they claim are "working hard" for their customers.

Its time for AMD to stop wasting time pointing fingers at Nvidia and start supporting it OWN customers.

I seriously don't get it any more than anyone here else does.
    Its just simply unbelievable.
    Its like everyone realizes it BUT AMD.
    How is this even possible?

(ok, Im done ranting now.... back to the usual "begging for x-fire support" for hardware we paid for.)