The Witcher III Wild Hunt VGA Performance review

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 20, 2015.

1. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    The performance hit from hairworks is rather gnarly :S.

2. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Classified
    It sure seems to me that I read quite a lot of people posting that the Titan X was an overpriced, worthless piece of crap which was only a marketing scam by Nvidia.
    Judging by the numbers presented here, it seems the worthless pieces of crap are the posters who flamed this more than excellent card even before the 1st review.
    Happily, I own a pair of these cards and am looking forward to a monitor worthy of them. :)

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I ignored the witcher 3 reviews from shady sources, seems they were right after all, with keplers performance or lack there off.

4. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Well since poor AMD hasn't even had a chance to release a performance driver for the W3 yet and not even CF support then i can't really take these benches seriously.

What we can see though is 100% that nVidia has left Kepler to the wolves. They seem to only be improving Maxwell performance.

If i was a 780ti/sli owner right now then i would be very angry with nVidia because it's not too long ago that these cards were still on sale at high prices like nearly 400 squid.

Man that's hard to take and unless they fix it i'm sure some old skool NV fan bois will make the switch from Green to Red.

5. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    Correct you are... nvidia are already overcharging, which i decided to accept due to better drivers and multi gpu support... but when they **** you over a year after youve bought the gpus, with drivers that doesnt bring support to your very expensive gpu's... then what argument is there to buy nvidia?

CF and freesync for me next time.

6. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    The 290/X are already working pretty good with this game. I tried my 290 and things were working well but I had to swap it out for an Nvidia card because AMD is not working very well in a few other games I'm playing right now. The 960 is really punching above its weight! :banana:

Lately I feel pretty good about getting a 960 when everyone and their brother was kinda hating on the card. It's waaaaay ahead of the 760 in Witcher 3. Maybe Nvidia shenanigans though.

7. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Look at that tiny 128bit, barely 100 GB/s GTX 960 GO! :whip:

8. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    I know right? When I first got the 960 I tested it in a few games and benchmarks. It beat my overclocked 670 (Asus Top boosts to 1251Mhz) in everything except Valley bench, where it was 6fps behind the 670. How it that even possible with the narrow 128-bit bus? I mean it's way faster in both Far Cry 4 and Watch Dogs. Weird!

9. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I'm not sure why some folks think older architectures will keep getting driver enhancements in perpetuity. After 6 months to a year at most, they have squeezed out all you're going to get. The exceptions being the driver hacks (which number in the thousands) to get around specific game and game engine issues.

10. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 VENTUS 10G

11. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Coupled with AMD drivers getting better. YES.

(yes GCN is not very fresh, but its far more recent than Kepler/Fermi bunch, and AMD's own arch. lessons are known to be lengthy)

And there you have it - the reasons why Kepler is looking bad atm.
    Without Nvidia dropping its development/support.

I am not saying this is what's actually happening, but instead of having endless debates over this, it should be ***ing obvious that we can not reason our way out of this current dilemma.

12. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Some of us expect Nvidia to continue provide these driver hacks for specific games for its older architectures.
    Kepler was still the flagship until just slightly more than a half year ago, of course Kepler owners will be frustrated if Nvidia stops caring about it.

The complaints aren't just about Kepler falling behind Maxwell, it's also that Kepler is falling behind its GCN counterparts.
    When that happened before, when Kepler still was the flagship, Nvidia was quite fast to produce a new driver to bring Kepler up to par. After Maxwell's release however, Kepler is just continuing to fall behind in new games.

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  13. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    Precisly...

1400 $ spent on the gpu's a year ago, but no longer 100% support... not satisfying AT ALL!

14. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    So it looks like my rig could play this game, just not at the highest settings but in 1080p HD. Medium settings should work pretty good.

15. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    from the looks of it amd does not need a w3 driver for single cards, just crossfire support

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Pretty much. Single cards are at the right place.

17. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Indeed...and you expect 2 years later to keep seeing improvements in baseline Kepler performance from the driver? Driver enhancements and or hacks for newer games are also taking advantage of newer hardware both Nvidia and AMD. There's nothing new here. Older hardware falls behind. I don't ever see that paradigm changing for obvious reasons. :)

18. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    You don't know that is the case at all. This is almost as bad as the herd mentality on the Steam forums about the 'Downgrade' for Witcher 3. Thread after thread of spam based on air.

19. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    I do think that it's very suspicious that Kepler's improvements stopped the moment Maxwell was released

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    That's not true at all.