Nvidia is deliberately downgrading kepler gpu's performance in favor of Maxwell.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Angrycrab, May 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
  2. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    All they have to do is start googling about their graphics cards for The Witcher 3 and will instantly see alot of threads on different forums about Nvidia not optimizing Kepler anymore

3. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    The GTX680 is part of the 600 series.
    The Geforce 6 series was released in 2004 and the 7 series shortly after that.

4. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    Yes exactly.

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Imo there is something in gameworks compute that glitches and could cause up to 20fps difference.. At least that's what I saw once by FarCry4 a gameworks game.

One particular spot by one mini town/village, I was standing above clif and looked across the vilage with ~ 60-65fps 99% gpu usage, next day when I loaded the game again @ same spot I got 40fps with same 99% gpu usage, 20fps just disappeared..

Idk how, but I managed to fix it and restore back to 60-65fps with 99% gpu usage. Changed from my custom mix of ultra (nv godrays)/high to default high, went back in game, back to menu and changed back to my old ultra/high settings and bam 60fps again with 99% gpu usage, it stayed like that even after I quit the game and started this same saved spot.

I wouldnt be surprised if Witcher3 or other gameworks games have similar issues as well.

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Don`t worry about it, your post is now on page 5, and I promise not to pm more than 5 people with the link.

7. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    A driver update is an option, only since recently did MS start forcing GFX driver updates on people.

You see 95% of gaming PC's don't actually do many driver updates. I co own a small PC components shop and have fixed/messed around with thousands of PC's. You would be surprised to see how old some of these drivers are on MOST of these machines.

A lot of people just stick to the driver CD that comes with their gfx card because they read that the CD is optimized for that card and think that's it.

Only a small % of gamers actually are insanely checking for driver updates daily and even try betas just in hope that they get an extra 1-2 fps out of newer drivers.

Since windows now forces gfx driver updates then it's changed somewhat but people in general find a driver they like and just think, well if it ain't broke then no need to fix it.

All architectures have their time and all have a favorite driver, because of the complex nature of PC component mixtures then different machines will favor different drivers.

This causes a huge headache and the only way to solve it is by installing many different sets of drivers and find out for yourself which one best suits your machine. This leads to other issues like newer games coming out that don't play nice with a certain game but may be amazing for a certain other game.

I will in fact install a certain driver just for the game i play the most of, this is insane behavior and is borderline OCD but this is the lengths we have to go to sometimes in order for our fav game to run as sweet as poss.

Basically what i'm saying is, we all here are OCD with these drivers and fps gains/drops but for bug fixes this is understandable. Like i said earlier though not all PC gamers are like this and just leave there system alone while it's working.

If they run into issues then they will investigate and maybe try updating but in reality only a very small percent of people actually care as long as their game is working.

Everyone here knows, i say driver update and not driver upgrade because it's usually very hit or miss if you get an upgrade at all, many would say it's actually a downgrade and just go back to their previous set.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  8. mbushnaq00

mbushnaq00 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 980 Ti 6GB
    780 seems to perform very good for me in Witcher 3, I only needed to reduce the "foliage visibility range" to high, and turn off nvidia hairworks, everything else is on ultra and I am getting around 50 to 60fps (I have set the max fps to 60/vsync off) ... sometimes it would dip down to 45 but very rarely

9. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Witch(er) Hunt?

10. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    lol, just realized my typo too.

11. villa_youth

villa_youth Master Guru

GPU:
    780 Ti
    My 780 Ti is doing fine with The Witcher 3, the performance reports and benchmarks seem way off the mark from my experience so far. Only game I couldn't get working well in recent months was Lords of the Fallen.

12. Seketh

Seketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    It's official, Nvidia is now investigating:

Could turn out into nothing, but at least it's a better attitude than what we see in these forums, with some people here just making fun of others and basically telling them to shut up...

Some people bought their $500 780Ti not even a year ago. I don't understand how you find that acceptable...

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ^
    Exactly, its mostly Maxwell owners now who start to diss and calling us out.. lol typical, good NV is looking into it, we just had to be a little vocal is all.

Although I saw latest 352.86 did improve API dx11 calls a bit.. Especially single threaded part.

@1080p

http://www.3dmark.com/aot/23143

single threaded: 2 324 301
    multi threaded: 2 428 128

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/7026080?

single threaded: 2 510 688
    multi threaded: 2 457 365

14. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    No literally bottlenecked by the CPU, not the Memory bus.
    My card scores worse in just about every benchmark out there than any review of the card.
    3D mark especially my scores are a lot lower than other newer CPU systems with a 980

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2014/09/19/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-review/10

1080p Max settings no AA
    Their score 4890
    My Score 4797
    [​IMG]
    And that's the Reference stock 980, mine is OC'd and bios modded to use a constant 1500mhz clock and a 7900mhz memory clock in 3D mode. Umodded performance with stock clocks is worse.

The notion that Nvidia is intentionally gimping older cards is asinine.

It makes about as much sense as GameWorks being responsible for AMD's performance problems. When GameWorks tech like PCSS and HBAO+ perform essentially the same if not better on AMD cards. All GameWorks is are extra settings on top of the developer's own max settings. You don't have to use them at all. You don't see conspiracies about how TXAA is killing performance of MSAA on AMD cards,because it's not even allowed to run on AMD cards even though it's just as present in the game build as it would on an NV card.

PCARS is just another example of AMD's complete ineptitude on the software side of their drivers.

The developers of the game themselves have said as much as AMD hardware is not the problem. (Look at the consoles, all AMD hardware, even have Nvidia ads on race tracks run fine for the ****ty hardware inside them.)

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  15. pbvider

pbvider Guest

GPU:
    GTX
    Those benchmarks love memory bandwidth,thats all,but in real gaming scenario your 780 is much slower than a gm204.

16. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    Good to see theyre looking into it, i cant really say if im experiencing it, gaming at 3440x1440 in Witcher 3, mostly on High/Very High( HW's off ), shadows on medium and blur/motion blur off in post processing. Getting avg 42fps, fluctuates/drops down to 35fps. Again though only played for a 90 mins( just before the first town/villiage/whatever ).

17. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    That will most likely not lead to anything.

That thread is about the claim that Nvidia has made its Kepler driver worse compared to older drivers, not about Kepler simply not getting more optimizations

18. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    Im absolutely certain it wont lead anywhere either, despite the fact that its obvious for anyone to see that kepler performance dropped by 25+ % in comparison to amd Cards with witcher 3, while Maxwell are where they usually are in comparison to amd Cards.

19. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    so its just this game they lose performance?
    If so I hardly think its reason for all the hoopla

20. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    This game? Last couple of games are performing badly for Kepler. Started with FC4. This is just the worse one yet...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.