Windows: Line-Based vs. Message Signaled-Based Interrupts. MSI tool.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by mbk1969, May 7, 2013.

1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    You just ignore pagefaults because DPC is not about pagefaults.

2. Hi!

What devices in particular should be put in MSI Mode? So far I have "Intel Management Interface" "Sata AHCI Controller" "Realtek PCIe GBE Family controller" I put my graphics card in MSI-Mode to see if it lowered my latency and it did just a bit though. (I play competitive CS:GO so I need my system to run as smooth as possible)

Thank you.

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    In theory any PCI device should be capable. But the real considerable boost is expected with devices which produce big amount of interrupts - network cards, SATA controllers, USB controllers. I don`t know whether video cards produce big amount of interrupts.

4. I already have my network card and my SATA AHCI controller put on msi-mode

I wanna try to put MSI-mode on those following devices:

Intel(R) Xeon(R) processor E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core processor PCI Express x16 Controller - 0C01
    Intel(R) 8 Series/C220 Series PCI Express Root Port #1 - 8C10
    Intel(R) 8 Series/C220 Series PCI Express Root Port #3 - 8C14
    Intel(R) 8 Series/C220 Series PCI Express Root Port #4 - 8C16
    Intel(R) 8 Series/C220 Series SMBus Controller - 8C22

Intel(R) 8 Series/C220 Series USB EHCI #1 - 8C26
    Intel(R) 8 Series/C220 Series USB EHCI #2 - 8C2D

What should I be prioritizing in that list?
    Audio cards? (Realtek) do they benefit from msi mode?

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    'Intel(R) 8 Series/C220 Series SMBus Controller - 8C22' will not go to MSI-mode.
    Only USB3 controllers capable to go to MSI-mode.

If you have Realtek one then you can switch 'High Defenition Audio Controller' to MSI-mode. It should give boost because academically speaking audio card can produce a bunch of interrupts while it renders audio. Same as video card.

6. I think I COMPLETELY deleted my latency problem by enabling MSI mode on the USB controllers, I can't believe I managed to do it. I love you man. I ****ing love RUSSIA

\ o /
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
  7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    :nerd::cheers:
    You have USB3 then. Aside from Intel`s USB2 ones mine motherboard has totally crappy 3rd party USB3 controller which was turned off once and for ever. -(

8. I had already disabled USB3.0 in my bios before I put the usb controllers in MSI-Mode... is it still the cause even if it's disabled in the bios?

edit : did another test nvlddmkm.sys is highest execution on latencymon, my issue is back, welp... btw my audio card is integrated (Realtek) on my motherboard, so MSI-mode should not work right ?

9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    If controller is disabled in BIOS there is no way it can impact anything in OS.
    Have you checked whether USB controllers were switched into MSI-mode?

Realtek audiocard should work in MSI-mode. Mine is working.

10. So it appeared EVEN AFTER I did put them in MSI-Mode, I checked "System information" and the IRQ numbers were still UNCHANGED and positive... so it seems that they can't be put into MSI-Mode.

I have two audio hd controllers, I put both of them in MSI-mode. When I check "Realtek High Definition Audio" there's no ressources tab (but I'm assuming the audio card IRQ is controlled by these two audio hd controllers) bcause I'm using the little app MSI linked in the OP's post to switch my devices into MSI-Mode.

Anyway my 2 EHCI usb controllers can't be put into MSI-Mode, it's weird as fk.

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    It is not weird. It is sad that USB2 controllers drivers can`t work in MSI-mode.

12. So what should I do? enable USB3.0 and put it in MSI-mode? I just tried to play cs:go and run latencymon in thebackground, nvidia driver goes up to 1.3ms execution, when idle it's about 0.65ms highest execution... i don't know what to do anymore

I'm installing the new Nvidia Drivers (352.86)

13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Do you have dedicated USB3 controller or those controllers you mentioned can work in USB3? If dedicated one I would not recommend to use it.

1.3ms is not a big value considering load under the game. I will recommend you to minimize the quantity of background processes and system services.

Edit: And first system service to disable - Multimedia Class Scheduler (short name MMCSS). This service can throttle network bandwidth. But to disable it you must remove dependencies to it from service Windows Audio (short name Audiosrv) first.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  14. I'm talking about the USB3 controllers (blue ones) those you have on your motherboard. I'm currently having my mouse and keyboard on the black ones (i'm assuming it's USB2)

How do you do that? is that when you delete the MMCSS line in the registry editor? cuz I think I've read it somewhere a long time ago...

"* Stop and disable the "Multimedia Class Scheduler" service
    * Run regedit and go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servi ces\Audiosrv"
    * Double click on the entry "DependOnService" and delete the line with "MMCSS" from the text box
    * Reboot and enjoy lag free games"

-> I think THIS is what you're talking about.

And I always did that services/processes optimization, I always try to play with less than 45 processes. My services are fine, I've disabled useless windows programs too.
    Is disabling ipv6 important nowadays or it doesn't do anything?

Latency is slightly worse with the newest nvidia drivers.

I disabled C1E, Speedstep, C3, C6/C7 & Turbo boost and latency is (expectedly) better. But I also read that you should never disabled those features cuz it's kinda dangerous for the CPU Health, can you confirm that?

15. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Yes.

With good cooling system there is no danger, imo. All listed features are for energy saving, not for cooling the CPU.
    Big voltage/current can hurt CPU, I suspect.

You can try
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=398247
    to check whether thread queue length is too big while you play.

You can try
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=389072
    to tweak the game.

You can try
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=376458
    to maximize system timer resolution.

Last edited: May 19, 2015

16. "to check whether thread queue length is too big while you play." Don't exactly understand what that means.

Don't know if it's placebo but I play worse with system timer resolution put on 0.500 than 1.000.

I tweaked cs:go with your "LargePage_util.exe"

Sorry if I haven't been posting lately, it's mainly because but I'm getting tremendous amount of help on overclock.net forums and some guy told me that this DPC LATENCY comes from the Kepler GPU.

He said that he did some several tests and didn't get that latency with Fermi GPUS. (GTX 560 Ti)

He's also digging up in the windows updates to check wtf is going on cuz there have been some updates that might have ****ed everything up.
    But he's pretty sure that it's all about that Kepler thing.

He also advised me to disable that "Boost clock Thingy" I messaged him to tell me how to do that cuz it might be involved too.

Also he told me to run Latencymon tests with ONLY graphics driver and not Audio Hdmi, PhysX, 3D drivers garbage bull****. I've always had Audio Hdmi and PhysX installed (I've never installed 3D and Geforce Experience **** before though so don't freak out, I'm not that dumb :D) so I'm gonna check out if those drivers can put some latency.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2015
  17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    As expected. I don`t use that system time resolution fix because I believe that it does increase CPU load. It may resolve issues with some particular apps but I never met such ones.

Well this you can fix only buying not Kepler card.

18. He's still trying to make sure it's not something else. But yeah I'm still heavily considering that option. Windows 10 maybe has resolved that problem. We don't know yet.

19. dreamss

dreamss Guest

GPU:
    770gtx x2
  20. sfektsz

sfektsz Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 770 2GB
    A friend of mine sent me a screenshot of MSI Utility, and he set everything to MSI..is that safe?
    [​IMG]