Witcher 3 Announcement From CD Projekt Red

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by LtMatt81, May 15, 2015.

1. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    Well i don't like to play at lower than 60fps too, but i had get adapted to it :D
    So for me its ok, since its more closer to 45/50 than 30s XD
    This on Fps games.

2. oGow89

oGow89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    I am a graphics whore but also addicted to fraps. If a game doesn't give me over 58 fps all the time with all settings set to max in exception to AA, i just add another 100mhz to the core and 150 to the video memory and smell the bqq coming out of the case. :p:banana:

3. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    lol

nice.

4. darkshadow5k5

darkshadow5k5 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte vega 56 OC
    Textures are always made in a higher resolution than what gets put in the game.

5. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The final game assets are what you see in the game. In the part of the process for creating a texture, the initial files are of course larger. Adapting them in different sizes where they would look consistent with other settings under different resolutions, is a completely different workload ballpark.

6. darkshadow5k5

darkshadow5k5 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte vega 56 OC
    I don't even know what you are trying to say with this.

7. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    When somebody makes a texture, they use a higher resolution image of what you get, as part of the process.

In the actual game-creation pipeline, you have to make sure that that texture and its various resolutions fits well with all the LOD levels of the item it is applied to, and all the various changes in graphical fidelity.

Moreover, it has to fit with the overall look of your game, in combination with all the rest of the game settings. If you have seen games with high resolution textures that look "out of place", you'll know what I mean.

Combine this with the changes in terrain geometry and character triangle complexity, and you can't simply release a high resolution texture pack "like that".

8. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    for lack of a better word, each level of detail has to be "crafted"

that takes time.

9. darkshadow5k5

darkshadow5k5 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte vega 56 OC
    None of that means anything, the texture exists and can be easily applied to any level you want.
    This whole "pipeline" making it "fit" are nothing but a bunch of empty terms to make it seem much more work than it actually is. A high res texture will only look "out of place" if the rest of the textures around it are considerably lower in resolution, since the art itself doesn't change, the style is still consistent throughout.

And guess what, all those other textures are made in a higher resolution too, it's literally nothing more than saving them in the resolution needed and added them to a higher level of detail.
    The "character triangle complexity" (lol), is also irrelevant in this case since they are already up to a point where normals from sculpts and tesselation take over nicely, and those normals are what? Yep, textures that can ridiculously easy be rendered out in a higher res if they need it.

Their whole "triple" the assets/work thing reads more like having more unique objects, rather than a problem with delivering things in a higher resolution, since that higher resolution is already part of the workflow of literally every self respecting artist.

10. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    You can't just place textures like that man, you have mapping issues etc. I don't believe how many people who haven't touched a single line of code in their lives have so strong opinions on a company that gave whole Enhanced Editions of their games for free. Why wouldn't I believe them now?

11. niczerus

niczerus Guest

GPU:
    MSI GamingX 580 4GB
    Any news for the new driver???

12. darkshadow5k5

darkshadow5k5 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte vega 56 OC
    Mapping issues? What the hell are you smoking. Mapping doesn't care about your resolution, it works by a 0/1 space in UVW.

13. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
  14. darkshadow5k5

darkshadow5k5 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte vega 56 OC
    Why are you linking me to a useless wiki page? Normals can only be usably baked if a suitable UV is present, so again what mapping issues? UV's have infinite resolution.

Again why are you linking me to a useless wiki?

15. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Point being this:

If there is no difficulty in including higher resolution textures, why didn't they do it?
    Have they cut on content in the past? The opposite.
    If they actually had that texture pack at hand now, why not release it?

16. darkshadow5k5

darkshadow5k5 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte vega 56 OC
    Who the hell knows what their reasons are, they don't matter. The point is unless they developed their textures to be no higher res than what winded up ingame (again very unlikely and just plain weird as hell), then this whole "triple" assets thing doesn't sound at all like a high res delivery problem but, again, like a problem with total unique assets.

Also why no texture pack? Maybe because their senior art producer said:

17. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    "Console equalizer" as i said.

TW2 was the last PC game of the series.

TW3 in PC is not a PC game anymore.

It's a port of a really well optimized console game.

Plain and simple.

18. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    Where's our driver?

19. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    well the game works great for me.
    i havent even looked at fraps lol

but its pretty smooth with 1 290x @1150/1690.
    all maxed ultra even with hairworks and all that @3440x1440 resolution.

and this game works on ultra wide monitors out of the box. ;)

its pretty i give it that and in places it does look like its better quality than witcher 2.

but so far im enjoying it. and its smooth enough to play with out issues.

though there are bugs.
    massive ones.

from flickering all over the place to nvidia hairworks flicking and spazzing out all over the place, also the cut scenes stuttering is probably the only thing thats high on my bug list.

that and no crossfire profile :(

20. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Use one of the framerate locking options that the game has. Judging by your settings, I would say lock it at 30 and use the in-game vsync. There is no spazzing for me after that.

A little note about hairworks: I don't know if there is a significant difference on Geralt or creatures, but the default hair look and move fantastic. Tomb Raider TressFX quality fantastic. I honestly can't see the point of HairWorks.