GTA V on AMD CrossFire - low GPU utilization

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by christal, Apr 19, 2015.

1. MSIMAX

MSIMAX Active Member

GPU:
    3x 290x cfx
    anyone aware of the memory leak problem?

2. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I didn't edit XML file with custom graphic settings all was done via in-game menus.

All in game graphic settings are maxed but MSAA to X4 to avoid pass the 4GB VRAM per GPU.

Advanced settings also maxed, in the video you could see the settings.

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  3. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    How is the usage with all advanced settings off (like AMDMatt)?

4. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I don't remember but i will test it.

I maxed all settings to show the problem in the worst scenario.

I think AMDMattt said MSAA disabled, grass on high and advanced settings off to get stable FPS.

I will try to find the best settings for higher GPU usage and better FPS balance around the target of 60 FPS.

Last edited: May 16, 2015

5. HaarKaaN

HaarKaaN Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 FE 2202/9600
    I got a i7-4770k at 4.4 and 2 gtx 980 ref in stock setting using a 120hz monitor with ultra/very high setting and MSAA off.

My GPUS never ever go above 90% usage ! an they stays at 50-55% load.

And then when i try any other game they stay at 99-99% load.

I will say that its the game engine, though they had 18 months to "optimize" the game for PC , its stil based on console and thats why we se **** results

6. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Thanks to share you Nvidia SLI experience

What are your FPS while driving with maxed settings but msaa at 4x?

7. Napster

Napster Master Guru

GPU:
    Dual Nvidia GTX980Ti SLI
    This game does need a better CFX Profile since it stutters really bad with the current one. I also find the clock speeds are then all over the place.

I have used the AFR Friendly profile and this does help a lot with smoothness.
    This also keeps the clocks locked at 1000Mhz

Below is the GPU Usage @ 4k Ultra with No MSAA or Advanced Graphics
    [​IMG]

8. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I don't have problem with clock speed changes here.

Is ULPS disabled in AB?

Maybe forcing constant voltaje in AB could help with this?

Are you saying that disabling MSAA and advanced graphics solves the low GPU usage?

If this is true it's only a partial solution for 4K monitor owners.

Here i need MSAA to improve the image in a 1080p/60 monitor cause 4K VSR downsampling is not avalaible in crossfire (work in single with modded drivers).

9. Napster

Napster Master Guru

GPU:
    Dual Nvidia GTX980Ti SLI
    I notice the clock speeds start to dance after a few alt+tabs and the game become really jittery.

I can't use MSAA as it chomps vram and i get very bad fps drops when loading into new places.

Advanced Graphics hurts the FPS because of the draw calls for long distance rendering. The CPU can't deal with all that on DX11 hence the lower GPU usage.

DX12 would fix this. :)

10. BAZOKA1942

BAZOKA1942 Member Guru

GPU:
    sapphire r9 390

11. BAZOKA1942

BAZOKA1942 Member Guru

GPU:
    sapphire r9 390
    hey i guys i figured out that gta5 lag occur when my hdd write is active only on that
    so what the reason memroy leak or pagefile ..
    any way to disable hdd write or at least decrease write usage ? plz help

12. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I upgraded my RAM from 16 to 32 GB and it didn't improve the game performance.

With 32 GB of ram the game is not commiting any ram from pagefile.

13. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    That's the system writing to the page file, since your RAM is not enough.

He's got 3gb, he's under spec.

14. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Time to upgrade the RAM!

Even my HTPC has 8 GB RAM.

15. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I tested the game again driving with all in-game "normal" graphics settings MAXED including MSAA X8, grass on ultra and all in-game advanced graphics off.

This solves almost all low GPU usage and gives FPS between 90 and +120 on 1080p 59hz with v sync off.

This "butchered" in-game graphic settings is not what i expect from a 290X crossfire.

Further tests are needed to reach better graphics options at a stable 50-60 fps target for a 60 Hz monitor (set at 59Hz due to in-game stupid lack of 60hz in the case of 1080p....)

Last edited: May 17, 2015

16. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Let me repeat, again.

Advanced Graphics cause issues on all kinds of setups, not only AMD CrossFire.

Titan X SLi can't max out the game at 4K due to Advanced Graphics. They also scale less than ideally.

Turn them off, enjoy the game, and let this die already.

17. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Let me repeat, again.

I expect more from my crossfire, the game or the GPUs doesn't have a sticker saying: "advanced graphic must turned off in case of crossfire"

If you are happy and enjoy your butchered crossfire experience good for you, i'm not.

I can't care less about SLI, NVIDIA and TITANS.

I own 2 290X GPUs.

Now you can follow repeating yourself untill hell is frozen. :)

18. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    wow after spending all this money you must use half of your money spend. WTF dude. If I pay for 2 cards I want to be able to use them in all games and i don't want to disable them to solve issues.

I agree 100%. We need to get what we payed for. We payed for more than 1 card. At least if 2 cards in crossfire worked like it should it would be great.

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  19. Dygaza

Dygaza Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 Liquid
    Had to make a account just to comment your problem, that actually does effect most of us.

I watched your video in youtube, and noticed you were seriously cpu capped there. I7 hitting as high as 80% overall usage is insanely high, considering windows even doesn't show usage right (it keeps changing threads from one core to another, which shows like you wouldn't max one core at all). Your already maxing out your mainthread, which literally slows down all other threads aswell.

Also keep in mind that I7 isn't true 8 core cpu either, it can be counted at 5core at best (you roughly get 25% performance increase when using 1C/2T over 1C/1T). And even worse, if have calculations going on hyperthreaded core that is already running your mainthread + overhead, you won't get optimal performance for those threads.

AMD really have to get their overhead lower (those new drivers on W10 are looking good, despite still being far behind nvidia).

PS, on single 7970 I get cpu capped occasionally aswell, so it's not about crossfire only.

20. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    The issue is the Game Engine. This is obvious by now.

They made those settings into a separate tab for a reason. They seem more experimental than stable. Maybe later on they will be fixed, but it's not CrossFire's or SLi's fault.

Those settings do not exist in any other game I know of to that degree. Extended distance, shadows, etc... are more likely to be feasible in the future when either the game is patched for their proper performance or more powerful hardware brute-forces its way into running them.

Look at Crysis. It took until 2012-2013 so the game can be maxed at 1080p. It still takes me 2 7970s to run the game comfortably at 50-120FPS. Most of the time, the game is CPU-bound, using only 2 cores.

Take GTA V as a lesser example of Crysis, max out what you can, leave those sliders be, and enjoy the damn game.

This mentality that we should expect to max out all settings in a game based on the current hardware we have now is flawed. It means that developers better not add in features that can be exploited with future hardware so as to not disturb the gamer psyche and make him feel shafted.

So why not run settings that we all can run, and leave the settings that we all can't?