The Witcher 3 driver

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by oGow89, May 11, 2015.

1. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    He tested on an NVIDIA card. The whole point was that since NVIDIA had invested in tesselation so much with Fermi, they loaded the game with needlessly tesselated objects (like that concrete slab), to hinder the AMD 6xxx cards that had faster ROPs for example.

EDIT: Aaaaaand we have derailed the thread :D

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  2. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    With that post of maldo, i can assume that tesslation is in fact lightweight?

3. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    at the time, nvidia had a much better tesselation engine so nvidia showed less of a FPS drop.

they are pretty much on par now days.

4. oGow89

oGow89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    Um no they ain't, nvidia is still doing better.

5. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

Aaaah the concrete slab:

From Crytek dev:

Our tessellation system LODs heavily so the complaints about it being "over-tessellated" (which in itself is an oxymoron because the whole point of tessellation is to massively increase the triangle count with minimal performance impact, which is exactly what Crysis 2's DX11 implementation does) don't make sense because objects are at their highest detail when you're up close and drop tris when you're at a distance, just like any normal LOD system but with tessellation, many more triangles up close.

About wireframe screenshot not culling, and how all this mess started by Techreport

Wireframe mode has no culling - you can see everything behind anything in wireframe mode, including the ocean. It doesn't necessarily mean you can see these things in normal mode.

Indeed. So are we done with evil Crytek/Nvidia gents?

6. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    LOL, i never sayed the nvidia is evil or not :D
    Actually lastest thread i participate there were threre many people putting blame on PhysX of project cars :D

And i actually made a vídeo proving the otherwise :D

I just never knew entirely that story of the crysis 2 :D
    Its always nice to know, a nice new story to tell next Monday to my colegues.

On-Topic:
    About Withcer 3, what can we say more, we just can wait for results :D

7. oGow89

oGow89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    Well the developer doesn't mention much about amd products gpus and cpus and how the game might work on either or both. So yea we might as well wait till the first benchmarks come out. I think pcgh will be the first site to post some benchmarks.

8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    TBH neither had I.
    So... I have this friend who is usually cool-headed and very conservative in estimates, but he went berserk when over-tessellation story broke few years ago.
    We'll have a chat soon :nerd:

9. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Point taken, and nice to know :)

10. oGow89

oGow89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    Well apparently someone mentioned on the other thread that the witcher 3 driver will be released next week according to a royamd's tweet. I hope it includes performance improvement to other games as well.

11. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    by a much smaller margin than the 6xxx series.

they arent ahead by much, i concider them on par.

12. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    For me if they can deliver a Beta but stable of the 1018.1 would be more than enough for me.
    Would made my day and would make me not boot to Windows 10 that frequent

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    When someone today does bench on Crysis 2, it is kind of pointless thing to do.
    Back then people had older generation HD5xxx & new generation HD6xxx cards.

From that time Tessellation power quadrupled, And I am pretty sure that AMD game profile prevents worst spots from putting too many meaningless polygons.
    I did not have problem with that game, because I always limited tessellation to 4x.

But on other hand physX may be most used "physical" engine out there, but unless you have nVidia HW, you'll never enjoy some features.
    In game like Planetside 2 they were promised upon start. Year later nothing, 2 years later same, ...

In this thread where someone posted nVidia gameworks feature list directly from nV (which should contain all "problematic" things), 1st video shows current and new features and clearly states that those new cool features in API 3.4 are GPU driven. And I do not see nV to use other back-end than CUDA for that.
    Edit: Posted by theoneofgod https://developer.nvidia.com/content/introducing-nvidia-gameworks

Last edited: May 17, 2015
  14. oGow89

oGow89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    Update

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/The-Witcher-3-PC-237266/Specials/The-Witcher-3-Screenshots-1159185/

So here they ran the game using an R290X Tri-X overclocked to 1125 on the core and 1600 on the Vram. They set the resolution to 2560x1440 and the game settings were on ultra, except for motion blur, chromatic distortion (no idea what that is, perhaps depth of field) and anti aliasing were turned off, and of course hairworks. A core i7 5820k clocked at 4.2 ghz and 16 gb of ram were also used. Of course they ran game with the beta 15.4, and without the day 1 patch.

Results:-

The game ran most of the time around 50 fps, with slight drops to lower 40s during intensive scenes, and/or in crowded areas like towns and in jungles.

They posted some 158 pictures from the game, so feel free to click on the link.

Translation done by me, your buddy ogow89 :D

15. tom12

tom12 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4G Gaming
    Woah man thnx! This is really good! Plus we get a driver for the game aswell this week. Here's hoping i can run the game with med/high settings getting smooth Frames :D

16. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    We get an AMD Driver for W3?

17. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Yeap.

18. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    lol I hope this ain't gonna be a future thing "we gonna need a driver for this game" .. "we gonna need a driver for this game" .. geez, it's only gimmicks, seriously. :D

19. SabotageX

SabotageX Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090Ti
    You wish. Try playing GTA V with Cat 15.3, then play it with Cat 15.4.

20. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The Witcher apparently plays just fine with the current drivers already.