GTA V on AMD CrossFire - low GPU utilization

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by christal, Apr 19, 2015.

1. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    So you want me to test a single gpu? I'm confused, i thought the issue was gpu usage in Crossfire?

I just copied your settings and drove around for 5 minutes in full screen mode with Vsync on, very smooth. Fps was locked at 60FPS constantly on the 7990 and gpu usage was around 40% per gpu.

I recorded the gameplay too, but watching it back it seems to exhibit a weird recording stutter that was not present whilst i was playing.

2. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    No I wanted you to try with crossfire enabled that's why I mentioned it, it's not worth while right now for me. Now try without crossfire and see what usage you get.

3. lorikano

lorikano Master Guru

GPU:
    2x Sapphire 7950@1150
    My system is similar to yours and I don't get stuttering only low frames @ 50+ when driving fast around city.
    1080p ultra no msaa

4. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Not really talking about stuttering but low GPU usage.

5. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    Okay I'm uploading a video to YouTube with Crossfire enabled, I'll post it here shortly. I had Vsync off in this video to show the gpu usage.

For now i have this screen grab. :)

[​IMG]

Crossfire usage throughout the video was around 75-99%.

6. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Post your settings too :)

7. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    I show them at the start of the video, don't worry.

Worth pointing out that recording using the Gaming Evolved APP hurts FPS in Crossfire slightly - about 5-10FPS, it also takes off 5-10% gpu usage as well.

8. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    MSI Afterburner allows the use of Quick Sync to offload the recording to the iGPU (if you have an Intel CPU with a GPU). That may be useful later :)

9. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    The Intel cpu I'm using in this rig is not compatible with QuickSync and my other rig is using an AMD cpu. It's okay though the performance hit is not too bad, but it should be taken into consideration when looking at the results.

10. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    133 FPS 98% usage on 2 GPUs in crossfire while driving in GTA V at 1080p....

....Is there ANY graphic setting activated in-game?

If you want pics of 40 fps with 2x290x and 45% GPU usage (and even lower) i have a bunch but with graphic settings HIGH and ULTRA.

11. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    I'm just copying what was asked. Happy to entertain your requests next though.

I've played on a HD 7990 comfortably at 4K, so do your worst. :)

12. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    Here we go.

I removed the audio because of the constant swearing. :3eyes:

13. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Watching it now. You really should enable frametime in the OSD. It shows stuttering (which could be due to the recording but you don't know unless frametime is displayed). I see stuttering all over the place but it could be the recording :)

14. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Do you mean "work"?

What is "comfortably" for you?

My couch is comfortable for me to play.

I own a 1080p 60 hz monitor so reach +60 fps lowering in game settings is a nonsense for me

My target is 50-60 fps with crossfire and no stutter with better looking graphics.

Doesn't seem possible if i use crossfire.

If i disable crossfire i don't have stutter but in-game graphic must be lowered a LOT to get 40-fps.

15. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    The video AMDMatt posted has fairly low settings and no MSAA. We don't get the chance of seeing his advanced settings either. The video looks jittery to me but there's no frametime OSD.

16. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    Recording does show stuttering, which i find odd because 99% of the time i don't see or feel that while playing, which is why i mentioned it earlier. If it was like that whilst i was playing, i would definitely notice it. This only happens in GTA V btw, if you check out some of the other videos I've recorded on my YouTube channel. I wonder if FreeSync will smooth this out, I'll be able to test this soon enough as I'm getting a Samsung 32" 4K FreeSync panel.

Okay, give me some settings to try and I'll give it a go.

17. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    What is the purpose of low in game settings and no MSAA with crossfire?

To see if the game could sustain high GPU usage and high FPS?

?¿?

18. Garwinski

Garwinski Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX Fury X
    Hot dang! Was this with the 7990? I guess I wont have to upgrade my GPU for a while after all! And with dx 12, my CPU bottleneck (in the few cases that I have one) will also be eliminated. Optimization is key I guess, as some games use a LOT of GPU power but dont look that great, and then this game with a lot of stuff on-screen uses around 80% of each GPU for 120 FPS average. As I have a monitor with max 60hz and 1080P, I should be good for a while :D

EDIT: I was also surprised by the average framerate of 70FPS with Sniper Elite V3 on a 7990 with ultra settings and 4x AA on your channel. I guess my CPU is my limiting factor, as I never had such great results. Luckily, the Windows 10 drivers are doing a decent job of cutting some of the CPU-overhead and smoothing out games.

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  19. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Max in game settings.

No need too use more than avalaible VRAM so lower MSAA to X4 if needed to stay under 100% VRAM MAX.

20. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    That's why you should enable the frametime OSD so we can see if it's your game stuttering or the video.

Thanks for the video.

I run higher settings than that with a single GPU.