The Witcher 3 driver

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by oGow89, May 11, 2015.

1. Demrock

Demrock Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Boost 7950x2
    well GTAV was running as smooth as silk on my gpu's.

i hope The Witcher 3 runs the same and if not due to Nvidia Gameworks i just wait for a amd driver update or maybe even the 390x with dx12 patch.

i hope this nonsense with driver crap dies with dx12 soon as its casting a cancer on pc gaming.

2. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    In properly optimized games the R9 280x/7970GHz delivers GTX 780 performance.

My guess for the requirements is that it is because of GameWorks effects, where they run like a scrotum on AMD hardware. On the other hand, FarCry 4 had GameWorks features but it was running better on the R9 280x/7970 than on the GTX 770.
    When you preorder a game you pay the full price of the preorder up front. In this case it is close to $40 I believe. You basically trust the developer and help them early, for some kind of in game cosmetic compensation usually.
    These consoles are not magical. They are AMD x86 CPUs with GCN cores similar to the 7850. The code produced is almost exactly the same to DX12 for the XboxOne and similar to Vulkan for the PS4. Every single console/port game I have tried on my PC has run on at least +50% framerate for better seetings/resolution, or at least +100% framerate for similar/better settings with higher resolution.
    Even AC Unity was like that. Dying Light was like that, Need for Speed Rivals was like that, BF4 was even better actually, I could go on... I honestly see no reason to upgrade since I'll be playing at 1080p until my monitor dies or I will the lottery :D.
    After drivers/patches I expect exactly the same from the Witcher.

3. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    As i saw in some sites recommended settings (290/770) will give 30 FPS at 1080p with a mix of medium and high settings.

4. oGow89

oGow89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    Thanks for clearing that up about the pre-orders.

The 7970/r9 280x is actually the best card of the middle class and nvidia has nothing to compete with against it. The card is a beast for its price. Even the r9 285 craps on the gtx 960, which sad because the middle class cards from amd are being overlooked from alot of customers and being deceived into buying the overpriced crap from nvidia and all of that is because of AMD's rep. In most neutral games the r9 290x would blow the gtx 980 out of the water, and that is why nvidia is pushing the gameworks crap into as many games as possible and trying to optimize their drivers for newest cards as much as possible. Remember the gtx 700 series or the first titan and even the titan black? yea those cards look bad compared to the gtx 900 series and i think they dropped support for them to push the sales of the 900 series.

5. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    After every single game I preo-rdered running like absolutely dog poop on AMD hardware, I no longer pre-order games. I also think AMD should change their slogan to something similar to Nvidia's. It should be AMD - TWIMTBPAOYARIYL:
    The Way It's Meant To Be Played Approximately One Year After Release If Your Lucky.

6. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    You know that you are supposed to be patient. :)

Someone said the AMD driver development team (with the help of the tiger?¿?) has HUNDRED of branches active but they are so hidden they can't find them.

The last important branch lost is the Project cars working branch....:D

Seriously.

All people who pre-order games are only making things worst in regard to gaming experience.

This practice reinforce the idea that gamers want the games being delivered RIGHT NOW even without bug fixes and optimization.

So the developers launch the game with a big amount of cash from pre-orders, "season pass" and sometimes other tricks like "early access" and they get a even bigger amount of cash in the first weeks and maybe they will fix the games later...

...maybe or no.

P.S.:Maybe AMD needs Columbo help to find the lost hundred driver branches...

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  7. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    To be fair to them, the drivers are projects with literally millions of lines of code in them. The closest thing we have in complexity to GPU drivers are OS kernels. I don't know about hundreds of branches, but for sure they have tens of then being worked on simultaneusly, with worthy updates being moved to the main driver tree and merged.
    It is not as easy as it sounds to do that, neither to check for bugs.

8. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Of course is not easy for them with less resources and dirt tricks compared to Nvidia but the fairy tales about "hundred branches" and the "Tiger" PR operation is not helping them at all.:rolleyes:

9. oGow89

oGow89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    I really do hate it when people buy products that are faulty or any call of duty game. And i wish that no one buys the next few ubisoft games that they have to close down and the same goes for activision and ea. I know it has nothing to do with drivers or anything, but call of duty is the reason why many developers/distributes are releasing games with the lowest quality as fast as possible, and we end up with the lag-fest.

10. maxstep

maxstep Guest

GPU:
    4090 + LG OLED 65
    Agreed on both points.

Nope! Full refund to steam wallet, I think some restrictions are placed on steam marketplace

GTA V was optimized by both devs, it's literally a unique example no offence.
    But despite what Nvidia claims on their website, the PCSS shadows _demolish_ the performance with crossfire.
    I lose 25% of performance at the very least in grassy areas going from AMD shadows to PCSS.

Any other gameworks "optimized" title is way, way worse.

Yeah, 280x is roughly equal to 780 gtx under normal, non-Nvidia "optimized" conditions.
    And truly, I am forced to play all the latest titles at one panel dropped down to roughly 1080p which looks like a$$.
    (Because of non-native resolution, muddy and whatnot. Native 1080p would look significantly better)

Could not have said it better myself.

11. niczerus

niczerus Guest

GPU:
    MSI GamingX 580 4GB
    i hope amd release a new beta drivers for the witcher 3 , but its amd :bang: .

12. xacid0

xacid0 Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti AMP! Omega
    The game is not even finish on PC, how to optimize? :wanker:

13. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Maybe the same way Nvidia optimize the game for them: colaborating closely with the developer.

[​IMG]

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-geforce-gtx-bundle

14. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
  15. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Only a few day more and we will see what was done (or not) until now by AMD...

...and by Nvidia.

16. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    They better hurry up then lol.

17. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8GB
    Sure it's finished, it's out in just a few days.

18. Ultimeas

Ultimeas Guest

GPU:
    Crossfire Tri-X R9 290x
    I plan to play this at 4k. I hope crossfire works even half was well as it should. Usually we can get decent results using another games profile, like what I've had to do with Killing Floor 2 to maintain 144 FPS.

19. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I can't see how it could happen for 4k@60 man.

20. Ultimeas

Ultimeas Guest

GPU:
    Crossfire Tri-X R9 290x
    Im realistically shooting for 45ish. Thats where it starts to become smooth enough in my opinion (with a mouse).

If it seems a controller is better suited, then 37ish is my minimum for smoothness.