Project C.A.R.S - Community Assisted Racing Simulator

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Leviathan-, Nov 3, 2012.

1. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I still read here sometimes Vinnie. I was at college when GTR2 was released so I was young when I played it too. :)

2. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Apple M2 Pro
    Well, good to hear from you. :)

Is it possible to make some kind of friends team in pCARS? We can make a G3D team then.

3. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Reports of this working for AMD users (over on OcUK).

Can't verify myself, as don't have the game.

4. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    No difference for me at all, (Windows 8.1) I get exactly the same FPS on both the x64 and non x64 exe's.

I just went with slightly modified PS4 settings in the end (added FXAA on High), its not perfect but it still looks good and runs a lot better than it does normally - unless it rains.

You can see the PS4 and Xbox One settings in the Project Cars/Settings/PredefinedSettings.xml file.

I really do hope the drivers (or an update) shows up soon, I'm actually considering requesting a refund at this point.

Last edited: May 12, 2015

5. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    I think it only benefits Win 7.

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  6. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Before I pulled my 290 out to try the game on my 650ti, I tried this on Windows 8.1.
    It did nothing.
    Ran exactly the same.

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    That's just a lie, of course https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0rzZLfXAn4

8. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Apple M2 Pro
    I do this by adding the launch setting -x86. Do this by right clicking at the game in Steam, then go to the properties and then launch settings. It worked a bit for me. But the performance is still not there where it should be.

9. krisby

krisby Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    I'd always been an AMD fanboy (or tightarse, not sure which), but early on in the Pcars development I got sick of waiting for performance to improve on my HD7950 so I chopped it in for a GTX770, I was staggered by the performance increase, not in just pcars, but everything.
    All these conspiracy theories flying about, but I think it is just a case of AMD not having the oomph to compete anymore, or the drivers to extract that oomph.

10. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    This

11. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Apple M2 Pro
    This makes me think that my next PC will have two high end Nvidia cards. :)

12. krisby

krisby Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    Its sad, I don't wish to see the demise the of AMD as we need the competition, but unless AMD sort out performance, then I fear many more will jump ship.

I was interested to see the performance gain I got in Mantle on BF4, but again, Nividia beat that. However, who is to say that with DX12 having supposed API access, will that help AMD get the most of their GPU on more games? Could be just what AMD need.

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Nothing to do with AMD not having the oomph to compete, just look at any other game, AMD does ok vs nvidia. In this game though, not.

All you have to do is look at all the nvidia banners plastered around each race track and you'll realize that SMS clearly sold out to nvidia. They wouldn't have some random gpu company having free advertising inside their game, right?

That comment from Ian Bell blaming the latest AMD driver is nonsense, of course. You can look up any pCARS AMD vs. nvidia video from any stage of development and you'll see nvidia spanking AMD. The one I posted a few posts up is from January 2015 and clearly shows AMD are well behind nvidia.

Apparently it's to do with physx implementation and the fact that nvidia can offload physx calculations onto the gpu, whereas AMD can't, for obvious reasons. If this is the case, I struggle to see what AMD can do to match nvidia in this game.

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  14. krisby

krisby Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    your experience differs to mine then. As I already said, when I bought my GTX770 to replace the HD7950 it was much better in everything, not just pcars.

I am still confused by these "nvidia banners everywhere" statements too, I have no recollection of seeing them, admittedly I've not been looking for them, but if they were that obvious, I would expect to notice some.

15. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    You can't even compare a 7950 to a 770. The 770 is a much newer card.

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    seriously? http://imgur.com/a/KH7En

There's not much in the performance between the 7950 and 770, once you overclock both. I'd guess the 770 is about 15% faster, but that's to be expected. Overclocked 7950 can easily beat a stock 680 btw. Which is basically a 770.

17. krisby

krisby Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    Well ok, that is true, but there supposedly wasn't much in it, but I found it was a massive improvement, considering it was a 7950 Windforce OC Edition.
    I'm still saying, Nvidia have more oomph, over the years I have generally bough AMD because they were cheaper and offered great bang for the buck, I did have a 9800GT momentarily but went back to AMD again after that. But when I was getting unsatisfactory FPS in pcars with my 7950, right from the start, before optimizations had been done, I had to change.
    I then gave the wife my GTX770 as she was getting annoyed at the stuttering in Sims 2 and 3 with the 7950.
    I'm not crapping on the AMD pie, I'm just saying that even when I owned them, I understood they were the Audi A8 4.2Tdi to Nvidia AMG CLS63.

18. krisby

krisby Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    Well ok, there is some and they are easier to see in stills, but I just watched 3 pc replays on youtube and saw only 1 nvidia banner, and that was at the start of California Highway.
    As I said, I'm not normally looking for them, and I normally watch my feature race replay too and it hasn't struck me there is an overwhelming about of nvidia (or any other) banners.

19. krisby

krisby Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    Yes, that just reminded me why I was unsure about even buying the 770 at the time, but I had just bought a Mercedes and was a bit strapped for cash, and took the plunge anyway.

20. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    I look at it this way with the drivers being at fault.

The driver that apparently broke the performance was released MONTHS before Project Cars got released, it wasn't like this was a driver that got released a few days before it, it was 5+ months (and it wasn't even confirmed if it was the last main release driver - so it could be even longer) at the least as the latest official non beta drivers (that still has crap performance) got released on the 9th of December 2014.

Think about this for a minute, so lets say it was the 14.2 drivers that made the performance crap like Ian Bells states (and i can tell you, the earlier drivers do in fact not make things any better) - they had a full 5 and a half months knowing full well that the game was having horrid performance on AMD cards - and they shipped the game as is and didn't make any statement (at least a public one so non backers would know about it) until after the game came out about how it was broken on AMD cards and that they would get in touch with AMD to fix it.

Yes AMD are dropping the ball at lot lately, but SMS knowing full well the game wasn't working on AMD cards properly (and reading up on it now, this was for a lot longer than 5+ months, it was well over a year), released the game anyways without saying a word about it until afterwards.