Nvidia GRID starts 1080p60 streaming

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 12, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Nvidia has launched a new public beta of their GRID Cloud Gaming Service that will stream games up to 1080p at 60 frames per second. GRID is now streaming at the same resolution as Blu-ray movies at ...

Nvidia GRID starts 1080p60 streaming

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Unless it uses lossless compression I would not touch it, ever.

I hate looking at gameplay on YT even at 1080p due to artifacts.

3. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    It can't be lossless of course, but at 30Mbps, the quality should be good enough. Still, it would be extremely difficult to play so lag-sensitive game as Street Fighter.

4. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    aha, so its compression that create artifacts.

my guess twitch doesn't use it?

5. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Streaming is all well and good, but, the latency issue currently cannot be resolved. I think there has to be a portion of game client-side code needed, not just streaming + controls.

A combination of a small client-side install per game might make it work better.

The latency issue is also why over-the-net band rehearsal doesn't work.

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Have you used it? And if you have how good was your connection to Nvidia servers? I played Grid 2 on my Shield Tablet via Grid (lol) and it was more than playable -- and I can't imagine a more latency intense game then a racer, aside from like a competitive FPS game or something.

7. kinggavin

kinggavin Guest

GPU:
    gtx 980TI super jetstream
    this cloud gaming and streaming will be ok when fibre internet is avaliable to everyone to make it a big marketplace , like mobile phones sell in massive numbers as they basically work anywhere in the world , same with television works anywhere in the world, for this to be a massive success you need fast fibre internet avaliable to everyone , until then i cant see gaming changing even blueray ps4 games and dvd pc games i cant see them ending until fibre internet is avaliable to everyone in the world, ive just buy gta 5, project cars, and pre ordered witcher 3 all on dvd from amazon so thats £100 devs would lost if we was on digital or streaming games only

8. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I'm mainly an fps player. I'm not saying it doesn't work, just not good enough for me yet.

9. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    It would really depend on your ping to Nvidia's servers... Base case scenario is you have a ~8ms to 10ms ping. Ping is round-trip to the server and back.

Now if you look at framerates of 30fps or 60fps, it needs to render frames at the rates below.

30fps = 33.333ms
    60fps = 16.667ms

So for 60fps considering you have an 10ms ping, it only leaves Nvidia's servers 6.667ms to render and encode the frame. That isn't realistic at all no matter how much hardware you throw at it. It's going to introduce some processing lag which will likely be noticable.

Now with 30fps it gives a bit more time to process everything. With the 10ms ping again, it leaves 23.33ms to render and encode the frame. Which shouldn't be an issue for most rendering hardware today. 30fps should run fine as long as your ping stays low.

This is of course best case scenario.. the Internet doesn't always get you a lovely 8 - 10ms ping. Personally I'll never use remote streaming for gaming... maybe across the LAN from my gaming PC where the ping is under 1ms.

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I don't think anyone expects Grid to replace local PC gaming, I think it's more of a supplement to PC games when you're on the road, or as a console alternative.

Regardless the only thing that matters in terms of player's perceivable lag is the round time latency of the game. A Game Engine + OS + Rendering on Nvidia's Grid takes 60ms, 10 MS to encode, 30 MS internet latency, 10MS Decode/Rerender, 30MS for a TV's refresh rate, 2-3MS with a good gaming monitor.

So in total playing on Grid compared to a regular setup adds 50MS of latency (Encode/Internet/Decode), on a 30ms connection. On your hypothetical 8-10ms ping, it only adds 30ms total. There are people here, on this very forum, that game with desktop monitors that have a input latency higher then 30ms. I play DOTA 2 on Euro servers, doing that increases my latency by nearly 100ms and yet I'm perfectly capable of playing the game.

Again, I wouldn't want to play a competitive shooter on it like CSGO or Quake or whatever. But for games like Batman, Assassins Creed, RPG's etc -- it's way more than playable. For the application of tablets it's damn near incredible. I get desktop level graphics on my tablet with a 5w processor. It uses less energy than playing the game natively.

11. JJayzX

JJayzX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Trio 4090 W/C
    The big problem with latency here in america is that the ISPs are greedy and don't upgrade their networks. Takes a ****storm just to get them to upgrade 1 node if its bottlenecking a route.

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Games on Twitch are horrific even at highest quality.
    Especially if they are moving fast or have a lot of effects.

13. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Shadowplay is 50 Mbit/s - and that's the maximum, and that looks like crap.

30 is gonna look worse, and let's be honest...those games are not worthy of a complete eco system change for users AND they are OLD games...

no fan queue

I hope this dies a death and breaks nVidia in two.

Come back when you got 4:4:4 in 8K with zero latency.

14. benq

benq Guest

GPU:
    Luckly i have 300Mbit/s simetrical with 4-10ms on my ISP, so... who knows

15. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Yeah, especially when everyone who is in the streamed gaming business either goes bankrupt or get bought-out and disappear.

Streaming at home with your own setup is the best case scenario right now. Online will be a very difficult uphill struggle. These businesses don't have enough money and time to wait for the technology and infrastructure to catch-up. The software-side isn't the problem.

16. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    I can't image a game in which you can predict your future movements more than in a racer :nerd:

17. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    Cleary only throwing numbers around without having much of a clue.
    You know the difference between bitrate per second for video and internet/network speed?
    The download speed for the line should have 30Mbit, not the stream feed.

And 4:4:4 is uncompressed , a regular movie around 4TB. No one will stream this in the next 100y.
    And, No consumer hardware to play it yet (tv/monitor).