The Witcher 3 driver

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by oGow89, May 11, 2015.

1. maxstep

maxstep Guest

GPU:
    4090 + LG OLED 65
    It will most likely run awful on AMDs. I'm not even going to mention proper crossfire+eyefinity support.

2. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I don't know about Crossfire, but the Witcher 2 run fine on AMD, and as far as I understand this engine is an iteration of the previous one. The amount of detail on each screen is a bit scary, but we'll see.

3. oGow89

oGow89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    What the hell happened? A day ago everyone was being optimistic and today the ball got dropped?

I like your optimism, but it's still an Nvidia Gameworks title, so who knows what the hell they did with game code.

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    This thread seems to be derailed even before game came.
    Making threads for sole purpose of making AMD optimize for particular game which is not DX12 at this time of age is pointless, they'll do it anyway to some degree.

Soon DX12 will arrive and that is the end, your actions here will have no return value.

I did pre-order game, if you believe it will work badly, then do not get it/wait till it gets tested.

And as far as GW goes, if it tanks in game, it tanks on nV HW too.

5. oGow89

oGow89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    I never pre-ordered a game and never will probably. I usually pick them up weeks if not months after release, and usually look for some sort of sales or discounts. As far as GW tanking NV HW, that might be true but not to the same degree where it cripples AMD hardware.
    Now about DX 11/12 optimization and what not, I don't really care for a DX version that is still in development phase and that won't be used in games anytime soon. I paid as much as you and anyone else a price for my hardware and expect it to deliver in comparison to what the competition offers regardless of the software. Now you might be making a point about the optimization part and that what ever is asked by the masses will be mostly ignored. But keeping quiet will keep this trend on going. So i'm glad you found peace with how your card is performing but i expect from the latest flagship to be a flagship just as you did when you purchased your 7970 back then ;)

6. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8GB
    TW3 is one of my most anticipated games in recent years. AMD better not mess this up or I'll definitely be switching over to NVIDIA. There's no point in solid hardware at good prices if there's no software support or if that support is delayed by weeks or months.

Still, AMD has done a really good job with GTA V in my experience and that game uses Gameworks features as well. I hope they can do the same with TW3. CDPR have not disappointed me with TW1 & TW2 support either, so I hope they'll make sure their game runs well.

If not, green it is. It's sad if NVIDIA is intentionally gimping AMD performance either directly or indirectly (by not giving them access to optimize), but in the end I want my games to run well.

7. oGow89

oGow89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    Well exactly my point. Btw out of context, Is that PSU enough for both GPUs while overclocked? And can you reach higher cpu oc or are you limited by the motherboard?

8. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    Yeah, the PSU does just fine. 290Xs run at 1100MHz with +25mV, I'm not going higher because they can get a bit toasty and I don't feel like spending on a new case for better airflow and an extra 50-100MHz on the GPUs.

CPU is utter crap and won't go higher, I don't think the mobo has anything to do with it. I just got unlucky this time.

Power draw from the wall in a 'heavy' game (BF4 on a 64p server, maxed out at 2560x1440) with the OCs I mentioned is like 750-850W. Assuming ~80% PSU efficiency, that's 600-700W actual power going out of the PSU.

9. oGow89

oGow89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    Well you are pretty much maxing out the PSU. Well i asked because i want to oc my cpu and i'm worried a bit that i might hit a limit fast with my asrock pro 4.

10. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    I've got at least ~150W of headroom left, PSU should be just fine. Remember, the rated wattage is what the unit can supply not what it draws.

Just give OCing a try, most half-decent motherboards shouldn't really matter too much on air/water anyway and with Haswell you'd run into a temperature/cooling wall way before you'd have to worry about a 630W PSU not being enough. Don't go crazy at first though, take your time and see how it goes.

11. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    The downgrade rumors on PC get strenght...

The Witcher III review embargo was lifted a few hours ago but only on consoles.

The embargo seems to be active for PC version untill the game is released what is not a good sign for us PC gamers. :(

The "excuse" for this embargo on PC reviews is the need of last minute fixes from "Day 1 patch" to get the best game experience.

A similar "day 1 patch" will be freed on launch for consoles....

http://www.pcgamer.com/when-is-our-witcher-3-review-coming/

TO BE CONTINUED...

12. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    If you are talking about patching and the rest, I actually believe CDProjekt. They always were providing top notch FREE support.

13. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    No.

I'm talking about the well hidden content with ULTRA settings and his requeriments on PC and the 30 FPS advertised with recommended settings on PC.

1080p and 30 FPS is not what i expect for an AAA game.

14. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    They have no reason to do that. Let's wait and see.

15. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    THat's what i fear: there is no valid reason to hide ultra settings and gameplay on PC if there is no downgrade.

"The Witcher 3 Dev: Recommended PC Specs Will Run It At 30FPS, Not 60FPS

http://www.gamepur.com/news/17793-w...pecs-will-run-it-30fps-not-60fps-details.html

16. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    It's for the breast physics :D

Seriously though, judging by the console performance even I will be able to run it with all the bells and whistles at around 45-50 fps. And with a bit of prudence at 60 fps.
    Also this interview was from January, when they had a March release date and then they took another two months until release for polishing. I'm still moderately optimistic.

17. maxstep

maxstep Guest

GPU:
    4090 + LG OLED 65
    Considering the fact that the official recommended specs equate
    Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 770 / AMD GPU Radeon R9 290
    I've just cancelled my pre-order. I've had enough with Project CARS.
    I'll wait and see.

18. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I've never seen anywhere that they hid ultra settings, except that preview in January where not even the kb/mouse controls where ready, so it made sense.
    Preorders are bad man, unless it's a Kickstarter and it's called Torment :D

19. b0uncyfr0

b0uncyfr0 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gaming XXX 1070
    Im really hoping my 280x can get me 60 fps using the High preset at 1080p. Naturally ill be going up to 1440p with SMAA if 50 fps is achievable.

Hearing nothing from AMD on the matter doesnt help at all. They never announce if a driver is in the works anyway. As long as the 280x can match/beat the 770 in performance i will not complain. Anything less, and i wont be purchasing.

20. oGow89

oGow89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    Well the already made it clear that the performance of the 770 matches that of the r9 290, so i don't know man.

Don't you have to pay like 5 bucks or something when you pre-order a game? If so do you get that back?

Well i'd be a little skeptical about that since consoles undergo certain optimization phases and they might lack certain features such as tessellation and volumetric light, etc., but it might be possible for your rig to deliver what you are expecting.