Downsampling with AMD: Guide and Demonstration

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by BlackZero, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Edgarhighmen

Edgarhighmen Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 1gb HDradeon5770
    Using OP method I got a good looking 2560x1440 w/ Downsampling GUI and 12.11 beta AMD Drivers.

I'm using the new method with Omega 15.4 and wagnards tool, but I am only showing up to 2560x1440, how do I increase it? I'm on a 32 inch screen, so the more I can cram in, the better it looks. VSR method has Blur compared to 12.11's downsampling hack. But... newer drivers, vsr, yay. No I do not/will not use CRU. It jacked up my monitor once before I found the downsampling GUI some time ago. I already modified all my DALNonStandardModesBCD1 's to include (38 40 21 60 00 00 00 60)

2. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    You don't need to ask the same thing in more than one place. Your card is limited to 2560x1440 (16:9).

3. Pinasgladiator

Pinasgladiator Guest

GPU:
    290 trix-oc
    Sharpness

Hope this topic isn't dead... I heard about VSR on amd only at update 15.7 unfortunately and immediately tried. But my text become very sharp and serrated! How i can fix dat?

4. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4070
    I haven't read through the whole thread, but what are the easiest methods to downscale now? The downscaling tool does not work on my machine.

I want to play Dark Souls 2 and Fall out Vegas (both old games) at 3840 x 2160 on my system. I know my Radeon 5850 can handle it as those games are easy on the hardware. Have a Dell U2713 monitor.

Any suggestions or help would be most appreciated.

5. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    fallout vegas is hardly "easy" on a 5770.

6. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    He said 5850 in his post. For 1440p it's ok (for fallout) but for 2160 - nah.

7. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    That's normal actually, you're not supposed to use it for the desktop.

8. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4070
    I've played Dark Souls 2 (DX9) at 3840 x 2160 and it's very playable. I've played Fall Out 3 and New Vegas at 1440p and it's very smooth with all details maxed out.

Can anyone advise on the easiest downscaling method now?

9. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    I don't think anyone can tell you what is "playable" for you personaly, but for me, it's either smooth or it's not playable. The thing with 2160p is that you are limited with graphics card memory to start with.

Easiest way to downscale now is to enable VSR in CCC and you will be able to select higher resolution in a game.

10. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4070
    I downloaded the latest BETA driver. I don't see VSR in the control center.

11. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    try the tool from this thread. It unlocks VSR for all cards.

12. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4070
    I'm getting stuck. The tutorial says to uninstall using Catalyst install manager. If I run the install manager there are no options are me to uninstall. Only to install.

What am I doing wrong?

13. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    you go to "change" when you select it under control panel > programs and features and choose uninstall there. If that doesn't work for some reason or you don't have that option, just go to next step, display driver uninstaller should remove everything anyway.

14. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4070
    Thanks for the help!

Okay, followed the steps exactly as per tutorial. Ran the VSR chose Tahiti, restarted.

Now what? How do I choose the higher resolutions?

15. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    if you followed everything in that guide, you are good to go, enable VSR checkbox in CCC (somewhere in display settings) if you can't, you should still have the option to choose higher resolution in the game. 1800p is the highest afaik. MrPrimeM knows these things better than I do. I just installed that patch once and it worked. With 15.7 driver, patch is no longer needed for my card, I am surprised that it doesn't work for you too, but then again, 5xxx series is kinda old...

16. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4070
    In CCC, I don't see any VSR setting anywhere.

17. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4070
    I just installed the latest GPU BETA driver 15.10. I did not install the latest Catalyst software suite 15.7.1.

Must I install the latest Catalyst software suite as well?

18. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Is VSR available to non-GCN cards yet?
    (That's part of the 7000 series of GPU's and up.)

I don't think so but I haven't kept up to date much on what's been changed with it in the newest driver releases.

19. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    you could try 15.7 WHQL package, the whole thing. Follow instructions in that other thread I linked, don't skip any step. I don't know what else can I do. People reported VSR working with 5xxx series so it should work. When it's working, you will have the option to select higher resolution even in windows desktop (screen settings) so you will know if it is working or not right away.

PS. Your card has nothing to gain with these newer drivers, especially these betas. They are for win 10 and one game that you won't be playing anyway. ;)

20. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4070
    Dammit, I'm not sure what to do. I used DDU to uninstall all drivers. I downloaded and installed the 15.7 package.

Followed all the steps. No VSR is showing in my CCC. Apparently I'm not alone according to the internet. :(