Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Mkilbride, Apr 20, 2011.

1. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    He did mention something from the leaked episodes lol

2. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    Uh, episode 5 was really good :D

But nooo, he musnt become a stoneman! :((((

3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Any other book readers getting tired of the show?

They are like stripping out a ton of the fantasy elements in order to like "mainstream" it. Like I always understood that they'd have to cut elements to make it work with the number of characters and whatnot, but they are spending too much time on stupid crap and cutting good stuff.

I also hate how some of the characters are dumbed down to like serve some kind of weird sex appeal/cliche. Loras is not just a gay knight who lays around with men all day. He was a major component to the Tyrell takeover of King's Landing. The Sand Snakes weren't just a bunch of crazy chicks, they waged a political war first before seeking like vengeance like they are trending towards in the show. Melisandre isn't like scary at all in the show, she just wants people to grab her boobs all day.

Idk, the show is like dead to me.

4. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I tried the show finally, book for me.

5. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK

I hear you although I'm still enjoying the show.

Yup, it's a bit dumbed down at times but it's always interesting doing post watch comparison to the book.
    I'm looking forwards to see how they take on Arya Stark's personal journey. So far though the thing that's annoyed me most is the House of the Dead looks feck all like it should, like not even near it.

6. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    I haven't seen the fifth episode yet, but I think the show should have followed Jaime's story in A feast for crows instead of making this Dorne-filler

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Yep, I hate a lot about show, but I like quite some characters. But it is not coincidence that characters which are meant to survive are made more likable and those who will die are pictured in less favorable way than in book.

8. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Just finished the book

Is kinda weird given that in the book Cersei actually sets about trying to kill Bron but the only reason I can see for this is that Jamie's story, isn't actually that interesting. Oh yeah we see him spilling his guts to Illyn Payne during his training, but all he does is travel from one location to another before reaching Riverun the viewer would see a massive host (army) sitting outside the walls and think sh*t is gonna go down, only for it to be concluded with no battle. I suspect the budget for this season may have been spent on Stannis march and siege on Winterfell, which I hope is covered in Dance With Dragons (I have just started reading this so this is just a guess.). The big issue though is when he leaves Kings Landing in the books his feelings towards his family and specifically his sister are much much further developed, the journey serves as a sounding stage allowing the reader to see why he makes the decision he does at the end of that book. In the TV show he isn't really there yet. I am guessing that the shows going to stick him in a situation where he has to decide between protecting Mycella (his daughter) or returning to King's Landing to protect Cersei so when he chooses Mycella it will make a bit more sense why he doesn't come riding to defend his sister's honour.

9. dominant1

dominant1 Guest

GPU:
    Evga Gtx1070 Superclocked
    Season 5 is moving to slow, Campared to previous seasons! Still wating for something big to happen like the war thats coming!

10. dominant1

dominant1 Guest

GPU:
    The Spartacus blood and sand Series that was on showtime Nearly every episode had something big happening!

11. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    Are you seriously comparing spartacus with GOT ? -_-

If you just want alot of fighting, then Watch spartacus and the likes of it...

12. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    Not all characters though - Ned stark was a very likable fan favourite :)

13. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I'm perplexed by the way season 5 is going so far. Why have they not shown anything with Brandon? I mean that was a big storyline at the end of Season 4, and now 5 episodes in and not even a single scene. WTF?

There isn't too much in this series that makes me scratch my head, but that is definitely something that I'm not getting. Its like they've completely dropped that portion of the story off.. perhaps they have some great plan, but seems really stupid to me to now leave that storyline to only a couple episodes in the season. Don't get it.

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Pretty sure Bran stark isn't in this season at all. His story line is caught up to where it left off in the books and I'm assuming that they are trying to hold out as long as possible for the next book to release before blowing past it.

15. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    ^ Ah okay, I figured that something must be up, because as I mentioned it was jarring the way that they featured all that stuff an the end of S04, and then suddenly now he's nowhere to be found.

Appreciate the explanation.. still seems weird that they did it this way.

16. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    Not weird, they are just building the anticipation and hunger for his absence. Quite smart.

Yes the TV show is far from the books in some or (most) cases, it still proves to be a good show. I thoroughly enjoy it.

17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Yet another boring episode. Where is My new book RR?

18. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    Agreed, so slow.

19. dominant1

dominant1 Guest

GPU:
    Yeah it seems like they've run out of ideas to keep things interesting!!! Season 5 sux thus far!!!

20. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    It is easily the weakest season so far. They did a big mistake with rushing through the books in the first seasons when there was a LOT more good content to put into the series. Now they are improvising a lot and it shows.