Intel Skylake GT4e GPU 50 percent faster compared to Broadwell GT3e

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 11, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    This should put some pressure on nVidia and AMD so as to put more effort on making less crappy low-end GPUs.

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Not really since AMD APUs are not pushing low end in big way.
    Reason why you see "50% improvement" here is way they do comparison.
    If they run Firestrike and show you score + Screenshots for IQ comparison, you would likely be unimpressed.

Even while intel does leap improvements in iGPUs year to year. Next time it may be serious stuff.

4. Teawithgrief

Teawithgrief Guest

Imagine if we had 3 makers of discrete GPU`s and CPU`s ?

Instead of 2.5 for GPU`s and 1.5 for CPU`s.

5. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Oh I'd be so happy. Or even more than 3, I wouldn't mind. Imagine the amount of competition and pressure for spewing out the most advanced chips possible.

6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I know it would be better, but hasn't the past shown us that the market does not really feed more than two or three of each? Or Matrox and 3dfx would still be around for dGPUs in the consumer / gamer segment...

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Issue exists, it is alive, it is you - consumers!
    There can't be 3 manufacturers, even at time when we have only 2, people cut their own branch.

Look at AMD/nVidia, people b*tch about AMD not being competitive, about being currently behind. And pray to god that AMD brings good chip which will force nVidia to lower price. And people are afraid that AMD goes out of business (Yeah, I am looking at You!), because they are afraid that nVidia will increase already high prices.

And none of those afraid people would buy 10% weaker AMD's GPU to keep them in play. Those would not buy even equivalent GPU if it eats bit more electricity and therefore creates more heat.

All those people hope that someone takes bullet for them. That few people have brain and are willing to pay 5-10% more in entire lifetime of AMD's GPU. GPU after GPU, 10% after 10%.
    Because if everyone becomes brain dead and AMD goes out of business. Everyone will pay not 10% more, but 100%+ as far as their wallets allow them.

Single manufacturer will price their product at inflexion point making most money while making least products (investment), especially one which claims that their products will never be cheap as all their products are premium grade products.

8. FranciscoCL

FranciscoCL Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    And VIA CPU/graphics solutions were not a success

9. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    I'm not sure what to say about this. Those companies hit the ground mostly because of bad business decisions or inability to compete.

3dfx purchased STB Systems, allowing 3dfx to stop functioning solely as an OEM supplier. STB had huge resources and sales channels, but in the end the acquisition never materialized because of their weak follow-up cards aka they done goofed.
    It's interesting to note that the Voodoo 5 6000 was very powerful but wasn't released because of some kind of bug in the AGP bus, I don't remember exactly what the deal was. It was later revealed that the card was faster than its competitors.
    Kind of sad when you think about it. Maybe the 6000 could have saved the company, even if it had an inconvenient external PSU.
    There are some other smaller factors like the Voodoo 3 (I believe?) not supporting DX or something like that.

Matrox was never competitive to begin with. I remember they had a competitive card but was launched late, right before the next generation from Nvidia/ATI came along so it was largely ignored.

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I've had Voodoo 3 2000 16MB and it was working fine with DX. Matrox was not into consumer market much, they were doing business/cad cards with quality outputs and multihead.

There is still S3 graphics, not very successful. Their graphics division been in ownership of VIA and now it is in HTC's hands. Maybe one day VIA+HTC may bring something, but not till mobile market is saturated as HTC thrives there.

11. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    3dfx's downfall as much as I hate to say it was Glide. Awesome API, but they pushed it too much without support from major developers. Epic, ID, Valve and a few others supported it, but that's about it.

I think this is awesome for Intel though, seeing that they are used mostly in tablets it's a good deal! I've been looking for a tablet for some gaming here and there, and the main thing that holds me back is the igpu. Core M is pretty good though, just costs a lot. :D

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I am waiting for AMD to make their move for years now. No decent tablets.
    Intel puts those really good iGPUs only to high end CPUs, so TDP is high.
    But even lowly $200~$300 intel's tablet is good enough to play classics like Bladur's Gate.

I'll wait till AMD brings 256SP to tablets, but if I already shoot for carrizo netbook with 512SP. Tablet will not be needed.
    Optimum for me would be convertible. With additional battery inside keyboard.

13. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Core M has the 6 series igpu, which is very strong for an igpu. Stronger than Iris Pro!

14. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 VENTUS 10G
    15FPS is 50% improvement over 10FPS, so they telling the truth.

15. Vtech

Vtech Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080
    My first real 3D card was a 3DFx Voodoo 2 2000, I still remember the day I installed it and play Need For Speed 2 Second Edition, this game have a special EXE just for Glide API, I called all my friends to come to my home and see with their eyes, because at the time that was an AMAZING jump in image quality and performance.

16. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 7800 XT
    Uhm... the reason is actually 50% more processing power, 72 CUs in GT4e vs 48 CUs in GT3e.

17. JEskandari

JEskandari Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3060 (95w)
    Intel can increase the power of gpu 3 fold but what's the use of it when it only can work with the benchmarks and games upto 3-4 years ago . If you go for older games it'll be really frustrating.

18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    That is not true, those new iGPU are technologically advanced, capable to do DX11_1/12. They may have even features which my GCN 1.0 card does not have.
    They only need more horsepower.

Or did you meant that those chips are not compatible with DX9 / OGL 3.0 or something?

19. JEskandari

JEskandari Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3060 (95w)
    In 5-6 hours I'll show you how Intel gpu destroy older games .

20. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Do you have one of new ones? like Iris Pro iGPU? I agree that older were pretty bad.
    My iGPU in i5-2500k produces corrupted image in 1280x720 which was optimum resolution for such a weak chip upon it's release. (low detail gaming at 35+ fps)
    So I believe you that intel's iGPU were not good at all, not having required features and such.