Post your broadband speed

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by lmimmfn, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Perjantai

Perjantai Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080
    Speed should be 250Mb/50Mb and it is apartment building fiber. Pretty bang on speed.
    [​IMG]

2. DZcreet

DZcreet Guest

GPU:
    evga RTX 3080 XC3
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  3. Slamb

Slamb Member

GPU:
    AMD7750
    im happy centrio gpon user here in prague :)

[​IMG]

4. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    [​IMG]

Paying for a 100 mb/s connection and getting it.

Can't say fairer than that.

FTTP connection, nice company, and have the option to get 1,000 mb/s if I want it, but kinda knew that this would be more than enough, and it is - but it's nice to have the option.

http://www.gigaclear.com/

5. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK
    [​IMG]

I'd happily swap some of my down pipe for a fatter up pipe.

6. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    It's kinda unavoidable with Virgin, as they are victims of whatever Cable company they took over in the area they provide.

In my home town, it was Comtel, which were then bought by NTL, who then were bought by Virgin. The network was FTTE, of which the design of the network was a series of bidirectional fibre rings linked together in a node network, as opposed to hierarchical/squirearchical design.

The main transit routes to the cabinets was and is to this day Copper, but the exchanges to the rings is Fibre when it was updated in the 90's.

Long story, but the speed of the downlink for Virgin Media in my home town is pretty much the same as yours.

If you take a look back at the CATV system of the UK, it was originally setup so each county ran it's own CATV system for council housing without the need for overhead cabling and teevee antennaes. This kept the cable under municipal control and local TV could be setup and controlled.

With the advent of Satellite teevee in the v.late 70's and early 80's (Sky), the CATV system began to a new lease of ownership with private companies being allowed to operate satellite channels using the CATV system. The only stipulation was that no one company was allowed to operate two adjoining counties for CATV; so, Bucks and Berks had to be two separate companies.

During the 90's this was loosened up, and new partnerships formed to take advantage of BSkyB deals with buying channels, and with new licences for Telecomms to combat BT who were now a public company and were told to allow other companies access to new STD codes (London was changed from 081 to 0181 to 020) and these new companies began mass cabling to allow for telecomms and teevee through the pipe.

Sadly, it was not all great, and the only company to survive all of these mergers is Kingston communications who arte the sole operators of the town of Hull. You can't even get BT in that town, it all goes through KCOM. Simply speaking, the people of that town built the network and BT lost out.

http://www.kcomplc.com/about-us/our-history

So, unless Virgin decide to re-lay the entire network with Fibre, you will always get that speed at the upload.

7. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070 SUPER
    [​IMG]

Do seem to hit better download speeds than what the speed test results show, normally hitting 92mbps on steam when downloading and around 100mbps off my server.

8. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Been getting pretty sweet latencies lately...
    [​IMG]
    Not too bad for LTE connection without external antennae. The closest tower is actually quite near without any major obstructions blocking the signal.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  9. 1sync1

1sync1 Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 290
    Fiber: 95 Mbps up and down

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Speedtest.net screen ?

Nice speeds

11. Elite3540

Elite3540 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G OC
    Changed from Wi-Fi to Lan-cable (Finally got those holes drilled :p) and damn.. THE DIFFERENCE IS SO HUGE!! :D (Belgium)

First I had 40Mbp/s - 80-90 Mbp/s download (at rare times, mostly in the morning) + 10MBps/Upload (with my Wi-Fi) and now I have installed my LAN-cable and I get my 200Mbp/s + 12 Mbp/s that's promised by my Beast ISP. (I used to get really laggy Twitch Stream buffering and got behind with the streams but now that's all fixed! I'm always the guy to be first to what's happening LIVE. :p )

Proof:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just a note, you know there's never the chance you'll get the full 200 Mbp/s /Download and the 12 Mbp/s /Upload, but I've done these tests in the morning and I've gotta say I'm really happy with what a LAN-cable can achieve! :)

The LAN-cable I'm using is currently CAT 5e, but maybe in the future if my ISP reaches above 1Gbp/s /Download and 100Mbp/s /Upload then I will upgrade to a 6a/7 CAT cable. :)

Enjoy testing these rapid speeds guys! ;)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  12. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Finally got FTTH and respectable speeds. I chose 150Mbit/150Mbit. They deliver up-to 1Gbit in my area, but I don't see the point of paying for that yet. This is just a ridiculous amount faster than my old DSL.

[​IMG]

13. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    Here's my Community College's network

[​IMG]

And here's their wifi connection

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  14. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    Current home internet, paying for 10/1 (it's the fastest we have available to us here)

[​IMG]

Moving to Florida next month, excited to be able to get a 150/20 connection.

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Win7 ultimate wired (8400e)
    [​IMG]

Win 10 Pro wired (i7 920)
    [​IMG]

Same test using Optimum test
    Win 7 Ultimate (8400e)
    [​IMG]

Win10 Pro (i7 920) even when this system was still win 7 same out come
    [​IMG]

All threw AC66U QOS on and Upload caped to 25mbit with max of 40mbit, Download maxes out at around 100mbit with QOS on, with it off download's can go as fast as 120mbit.

Speedtest.net speeds seem identical, but speedtests done threw optimums speed test shows win7 is faster cause those test come out faster always, then again it was always faster on that win7 computer (8400e) even when my pc was still on win 7.

my pc= Cyberfox 64bit intel
    8400e=Mozilla firefox

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015

16. DLG

DLG Guest

GPU:
    Zotac AMP 1080Ti
    [​IMG]
    should be 16mb/1mb

17. Braadkip

Braadkip Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    Cable - 200 Mb/s down - 50 Mb/s up ping 8 ms

18. blackdog62

blackdog62 Member

GPU:
    2 Gigabyte R9 290X
    Download
    253.10Mb/s

Upload
    30.21Mb/s

Ping
    2 ms

Rating 5/5 Stars
    CARRIER 3/5 Stars

SASKTEL
    Server
    REGINA, SASKATCHEWAN
    8/3/2015 at 3:26 PM GMT
    ID: 4553993755
    Take a Speed Test

Compare your own result

19. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    [​IMG]

Nothing lost in the move to W10 so happy enough.

tsunami231, am i missing something but why are your W10 scores so much faster than 7?

20. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Hold old is your house?

With the old master sockets, if you take the face plate off, check if there are more than the two twisted pair wires, if yes, you can remove all apart from them (Unless you run an extension wired to it)

There could be what's called the old Bell Wire, which powered the old rotary phone bell or something similar, removing that can give a good few Mb/s boost as it just causes interference now and is not used

I did it with ADSL and gained 2meg, my folks did it and gained over 3meg

Check here
    http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm