Guru3D - OCZ Vertex 460A Test Panel Group

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
  2. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I know the 480GB is faster, but it doesn't seem to be by much. The 4K performance in particular on these drives is pretty excellent. Whooped my friend's Samsung 850. I also really like that it has a metal casing.

3. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
  4. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    ^

Simple DONT's (All Platforms)

a. Don't install your SSD in an overclocked rig.

Welp, looks like we all failed at this test! :cheers:

5. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    It certainly looks like OCZ raised the bar when Toshiba acquired it. I'm a huge fan of their desktop HDD's so I guess I'll check out their SSD's when it's time to replace my Samsung HDD's.

Guys, could you post results using CrystalDiskMark 4.0.3? It was released few days ago.

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  6. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    Here you go :)

CDM 4.0.3
    [​IMG]

7. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    I'm back from holiday and finally have my disk up and running. Here is my report.

THE BAD

I'm starting with the bad because that's how it started for me. Installing the disk physically was easy, I simply plugged it in and it was recognised by Windows.

The big problem as reported by other users is obtaining the Acronis disk cloning software.

The instructions with the disk say

1. Please visit the download page at: http://ocz.com/acronis

The problem is that this page gives you Acronis 2013 but the 460A comes with an activation key for Acronis 2014.

After entering the 64character(!?) key for Acronis 2013, double checking it several times I noticed the little text next to my Acronis activation key that says "Acronis 2014".

So I uninstalled Acronis 2013, managed to google a download link for Acronis 2014 and eventually got it installed.

So in the end, all the messing around meant it took me 35 minutes to install Acronis. This should've taken 5 minutes maximum! It might take an inexperienced user a lot longer.

OCZ - you really need to sort out the link on your website for Acronis. Provide the 2014 version link! This could be a really horrible problem for a basic user and is really easy to fix!

THE GOOD

OK now onto the good news. Once installed, Acronis works smoothly and cloned my existing 240GB SSD in under 10mins.

Now up and running, I have run crystal disk mark to compare to my old Corsair Neutron GTX. This was a top of the line "last gen" SSD and you can see that especially in write performance, the 460A is vastly superior.

I have also done a disk mark 4.0.3 run as requested above. We will need to decide which version of this software that we use going forwards.

So after a bit of early stress, everything is good now. The disk is certainly very fast and working nicely. Let's see how it goes over the next 2 years!

Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB

[​IMG]

OCZ460A 480GB

[​IMG]

and CDM 4.0.3

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  8. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    Seems odd that it took that long. Think it took total of 15 minutes for me to download, install and clone the disk. The process was pretty much painless.

9. southamptonfc

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    As I explained, I downloaded and installed 2013 from OCZ, tried and re-tried the provided serial number before finding out that I needed to get 2014. Then I had to uninstall 2013, find a download for 2014 and install that.

This is an easily fixable issue that has the potential to cause major pain.

10. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    Ohh, you ment the whole process, sorry :)

11. southamptonfc

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    cool np, I've edited my original report to make that clearer :)

12. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Here's one using CDM 4.03 for my OS Partition.

[​IMG]

And the Non OS Partition.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Here you go
    [​IMG]

14. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Hey guys, so after almost 2 weeks I can finally post some screens of my OCZ SSD, as you can see, the performance is pretty much double that of my old Corsair. Hence why I did install the OS on the OCZ and will use it as an OS drive + games for the next 2 years, if all goes well.

OCZ SSD

[​IMG]

old Corsair SSD

[​IMG]

Sadly my nightmareish experience with dead motherboards is not at an end. Long story short, my brand new Asus Rampage V also has issues and I might end up replacing it as well (I will get into details in another thread).

I will do my best to keep up with the test group, but as it stands now I still have some rough weeks ahead of me before I can put an end to my headaches.

15. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Sorry to hear your new motherboard is acting up man. :(

Any chance that your PSU is acting up with both motherboards?

16. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    At this point man, I honestly can't say anything for sure. What I can say regarding PSU is that when the Z77 mobo started acting up I did give it to a friend who tried it on 3 different PSUs and the result was the same. It is indeed over 5 years old, but there was no sign of it acting strange.

I made a thread for my issues with the new mobo+cpu+ram combo, some more info there:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=399148

17. OCZ Techy

OCZ Techy Guest

GPU:
    integrated
    Dear southamptonfc,

Thank you for your post on the Acronis 2014 download. As a result of your feedback we have corrected this on the download page and the 2014 download is now listed when you select the Vertex 460A.

18. southamptonfc

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    You're welcome, it's great to be able to contribute!

19. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Screenshots for month #2:

SSD Guru:
    [​IMG]
    It lists 20 unexpected shutdowns. After scouring the internet for information I haven't found a decisive answer why my motherboard stops detecting my sound card. The only 100% method to get it detected again is a dirty shutdown. Nothing else I've tried works every time. It's been occurring since I updated my BIOS, but I can't revert to an older one as they also had major issues like sleep mode just plain not working. Should I be concerned about this? After reading a metric ton of pages it seems to be relatively common issue with Creative cards on various motherboards, but like I said I found no solution.

Benchmarks:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    So far I've ended up installing a lot more games than I expected.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  20. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Unexpected shutdowns will show up even on a "healthy" system. My last SSD logged well into the hundreds of them. It will never matter.