EU blocks Microsoft from trademarking Skype logo

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by morbias, May 6, 2015.

1. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
  2. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Given that both names are spelt different, I fail to see how someone could be mistaken.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  3. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Only a mentally challenged individual could possibly have issue distinguishing the two. Sounds like the EU court is filled with mentally challenged individuals.

4. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    It just goes to show the EU's Microsoft hate train is still powering ahead at full steam.

If you are the type of person who confuses Skype with Sky then you'd probably be unable to use either service in the first place!

5. Juliuszek

Juliuszek Guest

GPU:
    GTX1060/3GB
    EU please concentrate your efforts on regulations concerning bananas, cucumbers and other important topics. I use Skype, I use Google, I use Windows - please do not take it away from me. Thank you.

6. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    The EU trolling Microsoft as usual.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The EU seems to have a growing hate for US based companies.... Just look at their investigation against Google (not that I disagree with the investigation itself).

8. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Funny thing is Skype "name", was allredy exist way before MS acquire it. And the name and service, and what is skype is well known around the globe. ( it is not a new service and is used massively by enteprise and consumers, installed on a vast majority of mobiles devices and pc .

I can imagine the problem is coming more from telecomunications entreprise who still see in skype a large concurrent to their IP Phones buizness.

9. panogr

panogr Active Member

GPU:
    RX 6800XT Ref
  10. danfim

danfim Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980
    Well, that's dumb.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Telecom companies don't want competition in any form. That still doesn't justify the actions of the EU. Globally, Skype is the better known brand but it's owned by a US based company (Microsoft) so the EU feels threatened.

12. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The only reason you would need to trademark it is if someone else decides to use the name as well. I wonder if that 'said' company, if it were EU based, would be allowed to use it despite possibly causing confusion with Sky and proper Skype. I think it probably would.

I think the investigations into companies funneling profits overseas to avoid paying tax is fair enough. I think not only should these big companies pay the tax, but be fined a bigger amount that the lost tax revenue if they get caught out doing so (maybe 3 times as much, you need to have it large enough to make it a deterrent). That's what the EU should be targeting.

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Welcome to retardistan, ups I meant EU.

14. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Well, here the situtation is even worst...

I was on a provider internet some years ago, a company who was essentially work with big company but offer too for simple particular internet conection.

15 years ago, they have launch the first " Phone by IP " essentially, something similar to skype, on your modem, you was connect your phone and use the internet connection for the call.. bypassing the regular telecom fees for communication. I can tell you they have not wait a long time for seen regular company creating protection against..

finally 3 years ago, they have cut the project and now regular telecom services, offer "Phone by IP" but at standard fee ...

15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Did Sky get permission from whoever invented the word for the great big open thing up there that has clouds and birds in it ?

-
    sky
    skyborne
    skybox
    skyboxes
    skycap
    skycaps
    skydive
    skydived
    skydiver
    skydivers
    skydives
    skydiving
    skydivings
    skydove
    skyed
    skyey
    skyhook
    skyhooks
    skying
    skyjack
    skyjacked
    skyjacker
    skyjackers
    skyjacking
    skyjackings
    skyjacks
    skylark
    skylarked
    skylarker
    skylarkers
    skylarking
    skylarks
    skylight
    skylighted
    skylights
    skyline
    skylines
    skylit
    skyman
    skymen
    skyphoi
    skyphos
    skyrocket
    skyrocketed
    skyrocketing
    skyrockets
    skysail
    skysails
    skyscraper
    skyscrapers
    skywalk
    skywalks
    skyward
    skywards
    skyway
    skyways
    skywrite
    skywriter
    skywriters
    skywrites
    skywriting
    skywritings
    skywritten
    skywrote

16. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Well that's quite a stupid reason... mistaken for the telecommunications company Sky, .. wtf? I smell a conspiracy. :D

17. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    That is some high class trolling right there...

18. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    This is blatant trolling lol, wtf are they doing? .....

I think they're missing screws in their brain, or their brain is so overclocked performance improvements are mitigated into extreme negatives, LOL.....

19. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    What a waste of time and resources, who is this benefitting?

Is it another case of EU going after MS, or something to do with Rupert Murdoch seeing Skype as a threat?

20. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Skype is in the end of the train and get down since M$ bought it (despite it was the most famous when we were young lol :) )

M$ have tried to play with EU court and it is like a bulldog on a bone (other bone is Google btw... but google pay and play guilty to have (business)peace)...

(just to remember how it start: benefit for french sister company were of 3000€ for a year with million of copy of XP sold on french ground... by M$ other company based in fiscal paradise... sadly for them the country enter in the EC and the fraud start to investigate :) bad luck lol )