High DX11 CPU overhead, very low performance.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by PrMinisterGR, May 4, 2015.

1. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    I'm on 2560x1440 @ 96hz. Running qnix qx2710.

2. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Windows 10 and GTA V for me is a mess. It's very laggy and pretty much unplayable.
    Which is strange is that these drivers http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5053813&postcount=17 that are from Windows 10 modded for 8.1 have made GTA V crossfire smooth as butter.

Just reiterate my earlier post.

Code:
    15.4:

vbs:
    With the same settings and OS. Incredible difference. Windows 10 DX11 overhead on Windows 8.1 :)

3. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I believe that anything would have difficulties pushing that resolution at that framerate consistently. On the other hand, you have waited for so long already :D

4. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX5700 XT 8G
    PrMinisterGR, even with a high end processor, the high CPU overhead with the AMD drivers can be observed at lower resolutions. Please take the time to check my post in Page 2. I have linked to the article, and even uploaded the bench results to a different host hoping it'll help you to view it. It definitely is not normal to see the GTX 960 catching up with the HD 7970 or getting past it, regardless of the resolution. Also, the difference in performance between GTX 970 and the R9 290 is also a clear indication.

5. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I know what you mean and the numbers might as well be because of this, but unless somebody tests an NVIDIA card and a roughly equivalent AMD card on the same system, one time with a slow CPU, and one time with a fast one, we can't use any numbers.

I would do it, but the only NVIDIA GPU that I have around here is a 7900GT :D

6. SabotageX

SabotageX Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090Ti

No, according to Microsoft, DirectX 12 feature level 12_0 is the standard DirectX 12, feature level 12_1 is just a bonus.

On those leaked slides it claims "full DirectX 12 support" for the R9 390x because R9 290x is resource binding tier 3 but feature level 12_0 while Maxwell(GTX 980) is feature level 12_1 but resource binding tier 2, so supposedly R9 390x will be feature level 12_1 AND resource binding tier 3, in theory that would make give it the title of "full DirectX 12 support", but only actual gaming benchmarks will show what performance gains feature level 12_1 or resource binding tier 3 could or might give, so for now, all this "full DirectX 12 support" is purely marketing.

7. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Maybe marketing but damn confusing.

8. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    I know that but sometimes I can see my cpu not being used to it's fulles while gpu's sitting under 99% usage. So you see what I'm getting at. Some games like Advanced warfare goes nowhere near 60% per gpu and I get so much stutter. Also some other games but yeah you get my point.

9. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    I'm waitnig for R390X :D

[​IMG]

10. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Does anybody know where we can find a slide showing feature levels and binding tiers?

I know what you mean exactly. It is quite frustrating in some games for me too.

11. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli

What's the source for that image?

12. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I saw it in this post.

13. SabotageX

SabotageX Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090Ti

As of now, we have this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But remember, it's not official.

The latest DxCapsviewer has confirmed that GCN 1.1 is indeed DirectX 12 feature level 12_0 compliant. GCN 1.0 still unconfirmed whatever it's feature level 11_1 or 12_0.

14. Vbs

Vbs Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 970, 1506/7806
    Thanks for the test! :)

I'm getting similar results with the 15.200.1018.1 driver on Win8.1:

[​IMG]

15. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    That's what the driver reports I guess, and the 11_1 part is probably wrong, since the cards run DX12 benchmarks under Win10.

The tier_3 support confirms the previous screenshots.

The results from Win8.1 show that it is not faster because of Windows, but because of the driver itself.

I'm tryng to test with Rome 2, but it has always run badly and the ingame bench is useless. Like with GTA V, it gives me the feeling it is more smooth when a lot of soldiers move; could be snake oil.

16. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Right. I've ran the CPU overhead test with my GPU's with Windows 10 and DX12 before the latest insider preview. Now DX12 is no longer being detected.
    From memory, the result was slightly higher than Mantle.

17. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    These are my results with "VBS Edition Drivers" in W8.1 compared to 0401 W10 Drivers are :

- A Little better in DX 11 SP (within range of error margin)
    - A Little worst in DX 11 MT (within range of error margin)
    - Better in Mantle

OVERALL WINNER! :D

[​IMG]

To recap:

[​IMG]

AMD maybe you need some modders to help you with performance and some "little details" like VSR on more GPUs...:rolleyes:

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  18. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    [​IMG]

I guess it looks like it's time to upgrade anyway cause loosing out on some features that might improve performance and so on. And please correct me if i'm wrong but according to this I'm not getting dx12 support. Maybe I'm reading it wrong

19. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Wow $hit I'm gonna download this vbs driver guys, it seems amazing, definitely seems to have improved the overhead there/drawcalls o,O .. Damn dude. Nice job whoever modded it.

20. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Just to confirm what has already been confirmed, add me as an extra source:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/6871929?

That's using the modded 15.2 Driver posted on Page 4 I think by VBS on Windows 8.1

So API Overhead is definitely a driver issue, no a Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 limitation. Because using modded Windows 10 drivers certainly does improve it. Nice job AMD. Your next WHQL Drivers better officially improve API Overhead on Windows 8.1