Guru3D - OCZ Vertex 460A Test Panel Group

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Glad to see the rest of you guys are getting your goodies now. :)

2. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Awesome you guys,

Steppzor, yours will be slightly delayed. Norway usually needs longer, as this is not part of the European Union

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Thanks for releasing them for us this quick :) :cheers:

no worries HH. Do let us know the exacts of this testing procedure so we can crack on with things as soon as possible :)

4. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I've a suggestion regarding this group if you're interested Hilbert, it's just an idea but maybe the members could have custom signatures relating to the SSD Test Group? You could have them link to this thread, similar to what the folding at home members have. Not for vanities sake but to increase awareness of the topic while making us more visible to users who may want to ask questions.

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I will not specify how you should test / use this SSD. Each and every one of you have your own real-world workload. The idea here was to see how this SSD will behave with 5 to 10 people, each with their own purpose of usage.

So feel free to do what you want to do testing wise. If you guys would liek to do a group test to advance things a bit, I am all ears. But the less OCZ and Guru3D deal with your usage, the better.

Just keep reporting monthly.

6. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We don't do custom sigs anymore, it not a function I can enable for a group of certain individuals.

7. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Fair enough, just an idea.

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Gotcha. I just thought there would be specific guidelines and reports we'd have to adhere to monthly.

Either way, I'll keep reporting my performance and usage data on regular basis.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  9. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Same here, I very rarely had a FedEx courier coming at my home, maybe 2-3 times in my life. So unless they use another local courier service, it will be snail mail for me as well. :wanker:

10. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
    right my drive has arrived

it feels heaver than other SSD that i have, look nice aswell im going to try and go all ssd with this and my other ssd (480+256GB) and take the HDD out will lose a bit of storage but i have server with over 16TB so not to much of a problem

this drive is now my C drive and the other partition will have mostly game on it. i am also going to be folding off of this drive so there will could be a lot of reads and writes the drive will be on 24/7 365 to it will be interesting to see what happens to it when it not restated for weeks/months

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    Updated my initial post to include the below new results, i noticed AMD had a much more recent AHCI driver available so i installed it - a solid jump in performance i think (especially the 4k & 4k QD32 sections).

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  12. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Congrats guys, looking forward to updates.

13. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I'll be joining this test group as soon as my SSD gets here! Thanks Hilbert! :nerd:

Just kidding. I actually purchased a 460A. In 240GB flavour. I should have it in a few days. I'll throw up a few benches to see how it fares against the 480GB version. Should be fun.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  14. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    Hi all,
    Got my SDD today. Just got finished installing it.

I cloned my old OS drive using Acronis Ture Image 2014 and the cloning process worked flawless. Took about 8-10 minutes from start to finish. As someone else mentioned in the thread. The Acronis key in the box is for 2014 version and you will have to download it from Acronis website and not from the OCZ Site (2013) version.

A few pictures.
    Box
    [​IMG]

SSD
    [​IMG]

SSD Guru
    [​IMG]

AS SSD
    [​IMG]

Crystal Disk Mark
    [​IMG]

15. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    In other news, I see that everybody now has received their SSD, lovely !

I'll wait until the probs for Solfaur have been resolved, then make a public post. I am very curious how things will turn out in the two years to come you guys !

Really liking this experiment.

16. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Mine arrived yesterday :banana:

Physical installation went super-smooth, and same with Win 8.1 (running out of SATA and 4-pin connectors)
    Then I installed OCZ SSD Guru(!) Quite elegant little tool.
    Do not search for OCZ Toolbox, because it looks like it has been replaced with Guru (haha).

I have decided to go with additional 32GB of over provisioning, like this:
    [​IMG]
    Been pondering over this, because some reviewers say Vertex 460/A comes with 13% of over provisioning, and yet some are saying 460 comes with 7% same as Vertex 450.
    I am guessing 13% is correct, so with additional 32GB it brings my 460A to total of 20% over provisioning. If not, I'm still at 13% which still sounds OK.

I've been torn with how to precede with benchmarking:
    AS SSD and CrystalDiskMark being somewhat inconsistent. As per OCZ:

Advice on using Benchmarks is as follows:

• (1) Do not use AS_SSD on default settings (writes between 3-5 GiB).
    • (2) Do not use CDM on default settings (writes between 15-19 GiB).
    • (3) Do not use AS_SSD and CDM together in the same Logged On session.
    • (4) Do not run FF pattern on ATTO. Default settings are ok.
    • (5) Run IOmeter with 4KiB 'sector' alignment. Do not run it to fill the drive.
    • (6) Do not use 'Full' Benchmarks more than once in the same Logged On session.
    • (7) Do not use any Benchmark (compressible data) more than once a day
    • (8) Do not use any Benchmark (uncompressible data) more than once a week
    • (9) Do not run Random patterns straight after Sequential or vice versa.
    • (10) Best to run individual tests with small file sizes and not full suite default.

So you see why ^^ I am torn.
    But I would not want to start some super-sci-rigorous crusade of my own which may impose benchmarking methodology on my Guru OCZ colleagues.
    So I've decided to go with the middle approach and just add Iometer results which (hopefully) are emulating AS-SSD workloads.
    More importantly there is both consistency of results and a level of control, instead of having hidden parameters.

Reproducing Iometer-AS-SSD results:

Download Iometer
    Config file: asssd_emu.icf (goes in Iometer folder; double click it)

Clicking Green Flag icon starts testing. 2 minutes per test, 6 tests.
    When it finishes paste content of your results.csv file here and you'll get something like this:
    Iometer:

[​IMG]

^^
    Close enough huh? Seq proly needs a touch. QD=32 is max for NCQ, no need for 64 like in AS SSD
    vv

AS SSD:

[​IMG]

CDM:

[​IMG]

--
    Looking back I should have gone for cheaper, bigger capacity SSD instead of getting few % faster 256GB 850Pro.
    Luckily Vertex 460A is here and it has been a real champ so far. I Love it!
    I have a feeling that 2015 will be huge for ssds.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  17. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Almost 5TB in less than 2 days of light (honest!) benchmarking.

[​IMG]
    This is super cool: http://ocz.com/shieldplus
    You can find your serial number in OCZ SSD Guru under SSD Details

18. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    In OCZ SSD Guru, under SSD Tuner where you can allocate GB for over-provisioning - it shows 0 currently. If it's using somewhere around 12% (according to Google) that's just not being shown for these models? If it's already using 12% I don't think I need to add any more to it, but if it's at 0% right now I want to set some aside for it. Anyone know why it shows 0% by default?

Also under OS Tuner I disabled hiberfile.sys since I don't use those features and like having the extra capacity.

You're going to town Noisiv :) I've had mine running 5x the amount of hours you have and only hit 480-490 each on both Host Writes and Host Reads. :cheers:

19. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    It is showing 0% over-provisioning, but 12% (some are saying 6%) is already reserved for over-provisioning and is not showing in OS.

Older Vertex 450 has 6% OP, but 460A has given up 32GB (480GB vs 512GB) for increased OP.

Anyway default is fine, but I've decided to give it another 32GB for a piece of mind :p

20. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Holy crap this thing is fast.

[​IMG]